I think something's wrong with Tank...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaeJunho

5 Year Member
Hi everyone... Youdon't know me, I just registered on the forums a few minutes ago (My wife and I have an introduction post if you'd like to read it).... But I kind of signed up so I could see what some people who know about this sort of thing think....

Tank is a baby Sulcata Tortoise. We estimate that he's about 6 months old; we've had him for about 4 and a half months. He's normally a very peppy little guy, loves running around outside, eating clover, and climbing up on top of his little log... but today he seems a bit strange. I noticed his eyes are a little watery, and his mouth seems to have a bit of mucus all over it. Every so often he opens his mouth real wide and makes a "raspberry" sort of sound, which I've never heard him do before. He seems to be annoyed with the moisture on his face as he keeps rubbing it on his forearms.

I'm scared for him.... He might be sick, but i don't know if I'm over reacting or not, and we haven't had to deal with him getting sick yet, so I'm very worried :(

What do you think?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It sounds like he might have a respiratory infection. :( Time to find a good herp vet and make an appointment as soon as possible.

Danny

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I agree with Danny sounds like respiratory infection. What do you feed him? Do you soak him and how often? What do you keep him on?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
When they're that young, you really need to limit the amount of clover they consume.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Until you can get to the vet, soak him in some warm water. Not too deep, just deep enough to come up to the middle of the side of his shell. If its not a respiratory infection, it could also be some sort of poisoning or heat related. All three of those things cause foaming at the mouth.

PaeJunho

5 Year Member
Just got back from the vet... he's staying with them tonight so they can observe him. She said it was most likely a severe respiratory infection, possibly pneumonia :(

He's so weak can barely move, and he's not responsive to anything...

We're waiting for her to call and update us now.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sorry to hear that :( Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick.

Danny

S

Scooter

Sorry to hear about Tank. I hope you get some good news soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ditto here to, hope he feels better soon.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hatchlings are just so fragile. But I wonder why he's well cared for and still got sick. That's sad...But I so appreciate a keeper who does rush off to the Vet. Thank you for doing that. It so bothers me when we get a keepers who describes a severe resp infection then says they don't have money to go to the vet...grrr!

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Kudos for actually GOING to the vet. I really wonder how many people come here asking for advice and when they are told to go the vet, never do. GL with Tank...I hope he heals and continues a well deserved life with you! :)

PaeSerin

5 Year Member
Hawaii
maggie3fan said:
Hatchlings are just so fragile. But I wonder why he's well cared for and still got sick. That's sad...But I so appreciate a keeper who does rush off to the Vet. Thank you for doing that. It so bothers me when we get a keepers who describes a severe resp infection then says they don't have money to go to the vet...grrr!
Unfortunately, when we took him to the vet she said he was an unhealthy little guy when we got him. She said he was probably born with some nutritional deficiencies and he was probably one of those hatchlings that wasn't supposed to survive in the wild.

Aside from him being unhealthy to begin with, we did take him to a different vet a couple of months ago when his nose was bubbling but the guy said it was nothing. Oh how we'd give that vet a swift kick in the rear if he hadn't already "parted ways" with the clinic.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Oh my I hope the little guy makes it. Please let us know.

PaeSerin

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Tank did not survive the night. We are picking him up from the vet soon and giving him a burial. I don't know if either of us will be able to stop crying.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So sorry to hear that, my heart felt condolences are with you. :(

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am so sorry, poor little guy. Please stay with the forum and learn all you can about all the different torts and when your broken heart is ready the rest of you will be too. R.I.P Little Tank :(

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
It sounds like you did everything you could for the little guy. We lost Buddy 11 days ago to the same thing...hatchling failure. Just think though, that Tank is in a better place where no illness can hurt him. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
DAMN! That sucks...sorry for your loss! You did all you could and hatchlings are such fragile things to begin with! Rest well little Tank! Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.