I think she's constipated

linoleum

Location (City and/or State)
Portland
Hello Friends,
My Russian named Morla has not passed urates lately, only clearing liquid. Last time she did this, a huge chalky chunk of urates appeared after awhile and it looked so painful to pass. She only has little poop as well. However she's not eating hardly near as much because of winter. What to I give to induce BMs and retore hydration? When I soak her once a week for half an hour, I never see her take any sips of water and believe me I stare at her almost the whole time like why aren't you drinking?? Air bubbles do come out her back end so I am lead to believe water is entering that way. Thank you all.

Lin R

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hello Friends,
My Russian named Morla has not passed urates lately, only clearing liquid. Last time she did this, a huge chalky chunk of urates appeared after awhile and it looked so painful to pass. She only has little poop as well. However she's not eating hardly near as much because of winter. What to I give to induce BMs and retore hydration? When I soak her once a week for half an hour, I never see her take any sips of water and believe me I stare at her almost the whole time like why aren't you drinking?? Air bubbles do come out her back end so I am lead to believe water is entering that way. Thank you all.

Lin R
Welcome to the forum. For people to help, it would be useful to have pictures of her & her enclosure (s), temps & humidity levels. How old is she? What have you been feeding her?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She needs to be soaked more often. She passed large chunks because she is dehydrated. You didn't say how old she is, but if she is not a mature adult she needs to be soaked almost daily. Clear urine is fine, it is not necessary to see urates, only the solid ones. Poop comes from what and how much she's eating. If she's not eating a lot, she won't poop a lot

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello Friends,

Lin R
Turtles and tortoises do not eat or drink while you are watching. I don't know why. It's just how they are. For a soak put her in an escape proof container and walk away. Same thing with food. Start soaking her more, and watching less. I know it sounds lame, but it's true. When you solve her hydration problem she'll get back on track. How old is she? What kind of lighting do you use? Can you post some photos of her habitat? We can tell you what's wraon and help you. She is reacting the way she is because something is not good in the way she is kept. We'd like to help you with that. Are you in Portland Oregon or Maine? I should have posted this before, sorry