I think Shelly is a "Sheldon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Hi all, it's been a while since my last post. Been really busy with school, work etc!!!! ;) The last time I posted, I adopted two 3 toed box turtles late last year, we thought they were girls so I named them Shelly and Scarlet. They have been so much fun!!! Especially Shelly, she is a bit larger and more active, and Scarlet burrows and sleeps a lot more. (The previous owner said that they had both slowed down in the fall right before I got them) my tortoise is still hibernating too, so I figure they will both liven up soon. However, Shelly is totally active. She lays in the light on the dry side of the tank and then goes over and, swims a lot, she goes back and forth all day. Scarlet likes to swim too but not nearly as often, she is burrowed in the shavings a majority of the day.
To get to the point...... About 4-6 weeks ago or so, we began noticing Shelly mounting Scarlet when Scarlet takes a dip in the water. I also noticed a couple of weeks ago a large slimy thing coming out under Shelly's tail/ shell area. I was pretty sure it was male genitelia, I have google imaged it and that's exactly what it is!!
Soooo.... Now I think I have a boy and a girl. I am not sure exactly how old they are but if the previous owner was truly accurate with her dates then they just turned 3. It looks like Shelly.... I mean, Sheldon is um..... mainly doing it in the water, and I have only seen the "thing" that one time. I don't know if he is actually mating or not. It looks more like practice to me. LOL!!
How long do box turtles take to be old enough to reproduce? Do they start laying eggs before they are fertile and can actually reproduce? I read on a website that said they reach their sexual maturity in 5 to 7 years, another website said 14 years!!!! I think that the second one is wrong...... I would love to hear some other people's experiences and any advice is so appreciated!! Thank you so much :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL....I am giving your thread a bump....I do not have first hand experience with those little cuties....but perhaps TerryO could give you some general info on the questions you have....there are also others here that may read your thread once it is bumped back to the top of the list.....

Hold on, here comes the buuummmpppp :p

msamanda1224

5 Year Member
RE: I think Shelly is a "Sheldon"

I actually have questions similar to yours... so sorry I can't help but eager to read more.....

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Lol!!!!! Thanks Angela, you are always so helpful. I'm eager too Amanda :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Males reach sexual maturity at around 4 or 5 years of age. In the Spring they will start mounting anything that walks....or doesn't. Females, at 6 or 7 years of age. Males are very aggressive with their sexual appetites, and that's why it's better to have at least 3 females to one male. Here's a picture that might help.

005-5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.