I think my tortoise is on speed!

GraceR

Ok it may sound silly to say that I think my tortoise is being too active. Don't get me wrong I love the new Norman but I don't understand why the change. Norman is a 1 year old Russian tortoise. His usual behaviour means he wakes up about 8:30 eats wonders about sleeps a lot during the day then back to bed for the night at 7. Now summer is here in England I put him out in the garden in a large run that I made which I move around the garden. But only when I think the weather is warm enough. His diet is undoubtedly better with all the weeds growing this time of year and I think he enjoys the outdoors. I bring him back into his tortoise table in the evenings as I'm scared he will get too cold. The thing is when I do he is restless and often doesn't go to bed till as late as 10. He is climbing a lot more over a few decorative obstacles I have put in there.
I want to know if I can leave him outdoors all the time now it's summer as I get the feeling that's what he wants. Bearing in mind he is only a year old. If someone who is familiar with British weather could give me some advice that would be great.

Here is Norman loving life.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434404460.015581.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely it's because he would rather be in the outside enclosure. After all who wouldn't rather be outside then inside? Just enjoy is new energy and maybe see if you can make his indoor a little more like the outdoors.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very cute little tort, GOD bless. Take good care of it.

Please keep in mind that torts need time and a lot of time to adapt to a new place, environment, owner and so on. They are very curious little creatures, and this makes them wonder around to discover the new place. Nothing to worry about. I'd be worried if my tort looked inactive, and it was a couple of weeks ago. It just would NOT move, and it drove me nuts! It seems that even animals get into 'bad moods' if so I may put it.

Knowing the relatively cold weather of Britain, I would NOT keep the little thing outside, particularly at night.

Ask any question, no question is ever silly when one is learning. Read the care sheets.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ok it may sound silly to say that I think my tortoise is being too active. Don't get me wrong I love the new Norman but I don't understand why the change. Norman is a 1 year old Russian tortoise. His usual behaviour means he wakes up about 8:30 eats wonders about sleeps a lot during the day then back to bed for the night at 7. Now summer is here in England I put him out in the garden in a large run that I made which I move around the garden. But only when I think the weather is warm enough. His diet is undoubtedly better with all the weeds growing this time of year and I think he enjoys the outdoors. I bring him back into his tortoise table in the evenings as I'm scared he will get too cold. The thing is when I do he is restless and often doesn't go to bed till as late as 10. He is climbing a lot more over a few decorative obstacles I have put in there.
I want to know if I can leave him outdoors all the time now it's summer as I get the feeling that's what he wants. Bearing in mind he is only a year old. If someone who is familiar with British weather could give me some advice that would be great.

Here is Norman loving life.
View attachment 134543
Hi Grace I'm in the UK too and I think that you would need a waterproof, heated night box for your tort as the temps at the moment are still too cold to leave them without heat - in fact I would say that very few of our summer nights are warm enough. Check the caresheets for your type of tort to see what the temp range should be, but I wouldn't risk it with my tort who is older.

Is the place you have your indoor housing nice and dark for him at night? If you turn off any lights off he may settle down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Grace;

It would be ok to bring him in at night and just put him into a small box and cover him with a towel. You can fold over the top of the box so he can't escape. If he has less room to move around and if you keep it dark, he may settle down and go to sleep. He doesn't need an indoor enclosure at night because he's just going to sleep anyway.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The trick with bringing in a garden tortoise is to let them wind down and cool down before you bring them in.

Let them settle for the night and then bring them in to a night time enclosure - all lights off!

If you bring your tort in and put him straight under the lamp, and/or the lights are on, your tort will decide it's daytime and want out!

The chilly time is generally in the early hours of the morning, so leaving an outdoor tort out until 9.30-10pm in many parts of the UK at this time of year will do no harm at all.

Mature, large torts like Joe (a 3kg 50yo TGG) will mostly likely be out all night already. And recently Joe has been marching round the garden at 8.30pm far from settling down!

In fact, in my corner of the UK the temperatures have been warm enough to leave him out since he came out of hibernation at Easter. He has shelter outside and a heat lamp for the mornings in a kennel.

I will stress that young animals should be brought in at night and not left out the like old timers