I think my tortoise has mouth rot!

bbatears

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, CA
Please help! I think my baby sulcata has mouth rot! The top of the inside of their mouth is very white, and they have a big bump on the side of their face. They have been eating and drinking thankfully, but I'm noticing that eating is sometimes painful. The place I bought them from said that I should be cleaning their face with anti-fungus cream when it was in the early stages, but it has only gotten worse! I will provide some images of their night bulb, their enclosure, and their food and cream that I've been using. I'm scared that they will die! I got them as a Christmas present, and have only ever had a bearded dragon.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aYh8UQn9-0LnY1GebdGcEeapdrb1HzBGV3bmpPStmLI/edit?usp=sharing

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Please help! I think my baby sulcata has mouth rot! The top of the inside of their mouth is very white, and they have a big bump on the side of their face. They have been eating and drinking thankfully, but I'm noticing that eating is sometimes painful. The place I bought them from said that I should be cleaning their face with anti-fungus cream when it was in the early stages, but it has only gotten worse! I will provide some images of their night bulb, their enclosure, and their food and cream that I've been using. I'm scared that they will die! I got them as a Christmas present, and have only ever had a bearded dragon.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aYh8UQn9-0LnY1GebdGcEeapdrb1HzBGV3bmpPStmLI/edit?usp=sharing
@mastershake @Pastel Tortie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You were given all the wrong info about how to raise and care for sulcata babies. You are not alone. This happens to almost everyone.

Read and follow that care sheet, and that will give your baby the best chance of recovering.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's definitely something wrong, but it's not mouth rot. The skin on his head should not peel off like that and his eyes should not be so squinty.Make improvements to your husbandry according to the care sheet and see if he improves.

Is the bump a scab?

bbatears

Lodi, CA
There's definitely something wrong, but it's not mouth rot. The skin on his head should not peel off like that and his eyes should not be so squinty.Make improvements to your husbandry according to the care sheet and see if he improves.

Is the bump a scab?
The bump looks like it's filled with something? Though it also looks like it's starting to scab as well. I'll be leaving tonight to correct the enclosure.

1612222852011.png1612222891570.png1612222914986.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can pick the scab and express whatever's in there. My guess is he got stuck with something sharp in his food and it formed an abscess.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Where did you get your little one from?

Dottie_The_Tortoise

New Mexico
You need to take it to a vet immediately I had the same thing happen to mine for me it was to late. Good luck!!!