I think my star is dead,how do I confirm it?

ReginaldSpikey

Location (City and/or State)
Parts Unknown
My 15 year old star, who has been dealing with a severe shell injury(got her front 1/4th of the shell chipped off with visible tissue as well as on the bottom 1/4th) over the past year, I medicated her appropriately and applied a zinc oxide-betadine tincture on her wounds over the last year, she recovered and went on to be her happy carefree self for an year.

Since this September, she started slowing down and not eating much,and due to my exams ramping up and an extenuating family crisis,I was unable to pay the attention she needed.I would go to feed her snd move her around but not more than that.

Last night, she seemed very weak, so I decided to take a look at her today properly.When I saw her today,she was completely curled up in her shell and not responding to any of my touches.I tried flipping her over to see if she'd react but no such reaction either.She hasn't moved at all in the past 12 hours.

I'm afraid I've lost her but just want to know how to confirm if she's really gone,or if she's in a coma like state,how do I revive her?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry to hear about your tort it doesn't sound good but you are wise to keep her warm and wait. I would wait a while longer. Are her eyes sunken and have you tried a shallow warm soak?
How did she damage her shell?
Did she have antibiotics from a vet?

ReginaldSpikey

Parts Unknown
Sorry to hear about your tort it doesn't sound good but you are wise to keep her warm and wait. I would wait a while longer. Are her eyes sunken and have you tried a shallow warm soak?
How did she damage her shell?
Did she have antibiotics from a vet?
Can't see her eyes,her head is covered by her two front legs tightly.

Her shell was damaged by what the vet said could've been a rat bite, but in hindsight it was more likely it happened due to her getting caught on some rusted pipes that were left unintentionally in her space.Vet didn't say anything about antibiotics,just the betadine-Zinc Oxide solution and a painkiller was prescribed.

I will try a shallow warm water soak tommorow in the morning, we don't get warm water here at night

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can't see her eyes,her head is covered by her two front legs tightly.

Her shell was damaged by what the vet said could've been a rat bite, but in hindsight it was more likely it happened due to her getting caught on some rusted pipes that were left unintentionally in her space.Vet didn't say anything about antibiotics,just the betadine-Zinc Oxide solution and a painkiller was prescribed.

I will try a shallow warm water soak tommorow in the morning, we don't get warm water here at night
Would you be able to heat some to add to cold water to make it luke warm?
I'm just thinking that time maybe of the essence if there's a slim chance she may still be alive and needs hydrating.
Only a shallow amount - below her chin.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
So sorry to hear this sad news ? this is definitely a tough situation to deal with.
If there are no movements from the limbs, and the eyes look sunken I would definitely assume her time has come. You can definitely try the warm soak and then placing her directly under her basking lamp to get nice and warm and keep us posted please. I am looking forward to hearing back from you and hoping nothing but the best for your little shell buddy. ?

ReginaldSpikey

Parts Unknown
Having a hard time envisioning the injury do you have photos

Old thread with the intial injury, she was injured the same way on her bottom as well

ReginaldSpikey

Parts Unknown
Does not look that bad
She would keep re-injuring herself on these spots whenever she'd try burying herself in the enclosure or getting into a tight corner to sleep, would that be a factor?

She would bleed a bit whenever this would happen and wouldn't eat food properly, she'd get better over the weak with the painkiller

ReginaldSpikey

Parts Unknown
So sorry to hear this sad news ? this is definitely a tough situation to deal with.
If there are no movements from the limbs, and the eyes look sunken I would definitely assume her time has come. You can definitely try the warm soak and then placing her directly under her basking lamp to get nice and warm and keep us posted please. I am looking forward to hearing back from you and hoping nothing but the best for your little shell buddy. ?
PXL_20211103_044303877.jpg
This is how she looks at the moment, front legs tucked in tight,eyes do look sunken but can't confirm,as for her back legs, they're a bit out(not entirely,just the feet) and the tailed tucked in.

I've given her a warm soak and she didn't respond,flipped her on her back for a second,no response again.The remote vet suggested prying her front legs and feeding her Vitamin A supplements and the painkiller, is that necessary?since if she really is hibernating or something, I fear it might hurt her more.