I think my russian is pyramiding

tortoise42

Location (City and/or State)
Utah,US
So I think that my russian tortoise(rocky)might be pyramiding I looked at him this morning and the middle lines in his shell were starting to raise I will Put A picture up when I can. How do I stop him from pyramiding

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Need to add an enclosure photo and please advise the following
1. Warm side temp
2. Cool side temp
3. Basking temp
4. Hide temp and humidity
5. Humidity level in enclosure
6. Type of substrate
7. Soak time, temp & frequency
8. Diet
9. UVB source and height installed
Sorry for the list but it will help so you can be sure to have your enclosure dialed in! “Torting ain’t easy”

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You need a laser temp gun they cost about $15 doing the warm to the touch can be very dangerous! The cypress mulch is fine. Does the enclosure have a cover? Humidity is critical for babies

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My russian isnt a baby At least I dont think he is how do you teall age I've had him for about 5-6 years now
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If yours is 5-6 years old, it should be mostly grown and pyramiding is no longer a concern.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If you are in the U.S., your Russian was likely wild caught and nearly grown. Very little likelihood of pyramiding at this point.

Does that mean he’s fine? Without a picture we don’t know if there are any other issues with his shell or in general. So put one up when you can. :)