I think my male tortoise is trying to starve himself to death

paddler037

5 Year Member
Hello,
My male tortoise is rejecting all the food I give him And didn't eat anything but few bites for days
Even his favorite food
he is active and he looks healthy, he does everything including harrassing my other tortoise and chasing her down
He also plays around and do the wiggle thing tortoises do
I would take him to the vet but I don't trust the vets here at all, that's why I would rather ask the experienced people here
In my previous thread I posted few pictures for their garden
The only problem I have noticed on him is dehydration. I'm soaking him everyday since I got him but it's useless, their food is fresh too
Also he does something very irritating, he walks on the food plate and sometimes he poops on the food. He is driving me crazy, I would take him back to his previous owner but I know they won't take good care of him
Try parasite meds. You’ll have to take him to the vet. My vet died so I didn’t take Horatio to a new vet until I noticed he wasn’t eating good. Parasites…shots and pills. The shots are easy, I will never no the pills again. Had to force them in as he wouldn’t eat them. Three weeks of meds and he is ravenous again.

Potato_king

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
Try parasite meds. You’ll have to take him to the vet. My vet died so I didn’t take Horatio to a new vet until I noticed he wasn’t eating good. Parasites…shots and pills. The shots are easy, I will never no the pills again. Had to force them in as he wouldn’t eat them. Three weeks of meds and he is ravenous again.
Thank you for the feedback, and I’m sorry to hear about your vet
I called a vet today and I’m planning on taking both of my tortoises after 4 days or so.
I’m not comfortable at all with the idea of taking them to a vet here because I’m sure the vets are not qualified enough to deal with a tortoise.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
This can be a very bad idea and even fatal unless medically indicated to be needed. A certain amount of internal parasites is normal and may even be beneficial. If the Vet wants to give this and a vitamin A shot run the other way!

Potato_king

Oman
This can be a very bad idea and even fatal unless medically indicated to be needed. A certain amount of internal parasites is normal and may even be beneficial. If the Vet wants to give this and a vitamin A shot run the other way!
That's exactly why I'm having a second thought about going to the vet, I already lost a pet few years ago, it died the second day after I took him to the vet in our village .

Without mentioning how surprised the vet
was when I called him yesterday and told him that I'm going to bring my two tortoises for a check up ??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I totally agree with the idea of NOT taking him to the "vet" that is available to you there.
I totally agree with the idea that the tortoises need to be separated. The female may also get sick from the stress of having to "run" and hide from the male, apart from anything else that may be going on.

Potato_king

Oman
I totally agree with the idea of NOT taking him to the "vet" that is available to you there.
I totally agree with the idea that the tortoises need to be separated. The female may also get sick from the stress of having to "run" and hide from the male, apart from anything else that may be going on.
That sound great, I will definitely cancelle my appointment with the vet.

Thank you very much ?

Potato_king

Oman
Since yesterday his appetite start coming back again
Today he ate some of the food I gave him and ate from the plants in the garden
Thank you all very much for all the tips
I feel like I understand my tortoises more now.