I think my Lerato is dead.

Sue Ann

Location (City and/or State)
chapin , South Carolina
I just checked on her and her head was pulled halfway out and she was pungent. A sure sign that she passed. I did look at her head and seemed to be dripping some darkish color from her mouth. It was definitely something that she ate. I don't know. I just know that this really sucks as I thought I was doing all I can to give her a happy life until I move to Florida in 4 years.
I’m so sorry. My Dexter is 2 yrs old and I would be devastated.

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
I am so very sorry. It's heartbreaking to lose such a sweet little creature and hard to not know why most of the time.

Learn what you possibly can from it (I do think it's unlikely residual pesticide killed her, but from now on, wash all food thoroughly before feeding), and don't blame yourself. I hope you will heal soon and maybe consider a new little guy again.❤
P.S. don't necessarily blame yourself thinking it was negligence w/ her food either. When things die, as their bodies break down, fluids will ooze, and it isn't uncommon for brownish, reddish, or even blackish fluid to ooze from bodily openings, esp. the mouth, nose, eye sockets, etc.