I think my Lerato is dead.

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
My Lerato might be dead. I went to grab her out to soak her and normally she comes out of her shell to see what's going on. She was tucked. The temperatures in the enclosure was perfect and I feed her daily. I introduced her to dandelions from a local farmer's market and I hope there was no pesticides on it as I didn't thoroughly rinse it when I gave it to her. I'm really saddened by this as I've had her for just under 2 years and she was about 600 grams. This sucks!!!!

20200216_180817.jpg20200216_180809.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The fact that he/she is pulled inside her shell might be a good indicator that she may not be dead. That takes strength to do.
Keep her warm and in the dark for at least 24 hours before you consider burying her.
I've had first hand experience with a dead tortoise that was moving around 2 days later.
And she was limp and 100% lifeless. And didn't even respond to having her eyeballs touched.
Tortoises can go into a coma like state sometimes when they are ill.
Best of luck to you

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Wow...that is really heartbreaking, but there’s no way dandelions being sold for human consumption could do that!

Give her a nice long soak in nice warm water!
I tried to, but I'm afraid that I'd drown her if she's not already gone. I put her back in her enclosure under the CHE and I hope she'll move tomorrow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's beautiful.
You won't drown her if you dont make the water so deep that it goes over the opening of her head. I have had a couple, all females, that would tuck in tight like that and stay like that even in a soak until they needed to take a breath. Yes, I wanted them out and about so i made the water deep enough that they would have to come out to breath. I watched them the whole time and they never drowned themselves.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I tried to, but I'm afraid that I'd drown her if she's not already gone. I put her back in her enclosure under the CHE and I hope she'll move tomorrow.
I don't think you should put her under the CHE...if she's sick and not dead she might not be able to move out of the heat...
Put her to the side of it sorta, so she can stay warm...not hot

Vibes

South Florida
The fact that he/she is pulled inside her shell might be a good indicator that she may not be dead. That takes strength to do.
Keep her warm and in the dark for at least 24 hours before you consider burying her.
I've had first hand experience with a dead tortoise that was moving around 2 days later.
And she was limp and 100% lifeless. And didn't even respond to having her eyeballs touched.
Tortoises can go into a coma like state sometimes when they are ill.
Best of luck to you
thanks for helping others out! ive seen you comment on post and even commented on mine, really show how caring this community is.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I just checked on her and her head was pulled halfway out and she was pungent. A sure sign that she passed. I did look at her head and seemed to be dripping some darkish color from her mouth. It was definitely something that she ate. I don't know. I just know that this really sucks as I thought I was doing all I can to give her a happy life until I move to Florida in 4 years.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just checked on her and her head was pulled halfway out and she was pungent. A sure sign that she passed. I did look at her head and seemed to be dripping some darkish color from her mouth. It was definitely something that she ate. I don't know. I just know that this really sucks as I thought I was doing all I can to give her a happy life until I move to Florida in 4 years.

I am so sorry this happened. I believe I understand how you feel inside. I lost a 125 lb Sulcata that I felt I gave the best care to...but he still died young, 17 and I think it was my fault. You really don't know why she died. So don't blame yourself. Take comfort that you gave her the best life you could, and use this experience to give a great life to another tortoise when you can....
I am not a science person, but I don't believe that "some" dandelions could have done this even if they had been sprayed.

Quadro

SC
Sorry to hear your tort passed I was rooting for the little one ? I wish this would’ve ended on a happy note . There are necropsies that can be done that might give some answers.