I think my Lerato is dead.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
I just checked on her and her head was pulled halfway out and she was pungent. A sure sign that she passed. I did look at her head and seemed to be dripping some darkish color from her mouth. It was definitely something that she ate. I don't know. I just know that this really sucks as I thought I was doing all I can to give her a happy life until I move to Florida in 4 years.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. She is beautiful and looks like you took very good care of her. Please try not to be too hard on yourself.

jso

55*N, UK
That’s very sad. Such a beautiful tortoise too.
I’d also doubt it would the recent feed of dandelions. More likely a longer-term issue which you couldn’t know about. I’ve lost rescue leopard tortoises like that. It could even have been something from way back, before she was yours.

Sa Ga

MN
Yes. I checked her 2 days ago and she smelled of death. She died.
I am so very sorry. It's heartbreaking to lose such a sweet little creature and hard to not know why most of the time.

Learn what you possibly can from it (I do think it's unlikely residual pesticide killed her, but from now on, wash all food thoroughly before feeding), and don't blame yourself. I hope you will heal soon and maybe consider a new little guy again.❤

JoeWells

Morro Bay
That’s horrible news! I hope I’m not being inconsiderate but if you do find out what happened please share so the rest of us new to tortoise parenting can learn and be mindful of whatever the culprit might be. Like I said, I’m new but it sounds like you weren’t at fault. Best wishes

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
That’s horrible news! I hope I’m not being inconsiderate but if you do find out what happened please share so the rest of us new to tortoise parenting can learn and be mindful of whatever the culprit might be. Like I said, I’m new but it sounds like you weren’t at fault. Best wishes
I'm distraught like my family and my 3 sons just wanted to bury her, but I'm thinking it was something that she ate. I soak her daily for 20 minutes and then the last 10 minutes I run her underneath warm water so she can poop and the night before she died, she had pooped. The temperatures we 95° F under the lamp, 80°F away and change the substrate monthly. It had to be something that she ate. My wife occasionally put spring mix in and I hope it wasn't because of the spinach because when I feed her the organic spring mix, I ALWAYS make sure to pull them out. I don't know. I love tortoises and I loved her because she was so beautiful and personable. I don't think I'll get another tortoise until I move down to Florida. Living up here in NJ didn't give her that much time outside. Thank you all for the condolences. You guys here in the Tortoise Forum are awesome! Thank you again. Pictured is her rock that I bought and put in her enclosure when I first got her. The name Lerato means "Love" in South African language.

Attachments

• 20200217_140604.jpg
    20200217_140604.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
That sucks that she passed, my condolences to you. Would you consider keeping her shell for the memory? I really don't know if this was a stupid question but she was so beautiful and keeping her shell would be a good way to always remember and be reminded of her.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
That sucks that she passed, my condolences to you. Would you consider keeping her shell for the memory? I really don't know if this was a stupid question but she was so beautiful and keeping her shell would be a good way to always remember and be reminded of her.
Great question. I don't know as I had wrapped her in a blanket before I buried her.

Sa Ga

MN
I'm distraught like my family and my 3 sons just wanted to bury her, but I'm thinking it was something that she ate. I soak her daily for 20 minutes and then the last 10 minutes I run her underneath warm water so she can poop and the night before she died, she had pooped. The temperatures we 95° F under the lamp, 80°F away and change the substrate monthly. It had to be something that she ate. My wife occasionally put spring mix in and I hope it wasn't because of the spinach because when I feed her the organic spring mix, I ALWAYS make sure to pull them out. I don't know. I love tortoises and I loved her because she was so beautiful and personable. I don't think I'll get another tortoise until I move down to Florida. Living up here in NJ didn't give her that much time outside. Thank you all for the condolences. You guys here in the Tortoise Forum are awesome! Thank you again. Pictured is her rock that I bought and put in her enclosure when I first got her. The name Lerato means "Love" in South African language.
You made me misty... They are unbelievably lovable critters and I can't say enough how much we here at this forum understand the throbbing hurt of such a loss.

Several years ago, I had a baby painted turtle, Stabler, whom I found as a brand new hatchling in my work parking lot. I had him for a little over a year when he got out of his outside pool and was run over by my neighbor. I have him buried beneath our tree along the house, and over his grave is his favorite rock he used to always lay on. Your little rock made me think of that.

I sincerely wish you healing and peace, and in time, the joy of trying again. Nothing will replace Lerato, but I know adopting Morla this past Sept, (my Russian tort), has brought me unimaginable joy.

Deepest sympathies ❤