I think my greek tortoise might be sick?

Madi molloy

Okay. So I've had my greek tortoise for about 3 weeks now and he's been acting weird latley, I left for a church camp for 4 days and came back two days ago. I left my sister to care for Pre and I told her and showed her how to care for him when I was gone. He's been acting strange since I got home. He won't eat,is sleeping a lot and is in his she'll alot.I don't know if he's sick and I need to take him to the vet or I've read of hibernation when tepetures started to drop? It's been 100+° since I've had him. While I was away the summer storms hit and it dropped to about 70/80° what do you guys think?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Please give us some more information on how your tortoises enclosure is set up etc. how old is your tortoise? Did you ask if anything happened while you were gone? Is he dehydrated?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As much info as you can give, temps, humidity, substrate, diet, soakings how often, etc.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

The usual problem with inactivity is temperatures. We need to know the 4 important temperatures for your ortoise... warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum.

Please can you also tell us what your tort is fed, how much and how frequently. Do you soak your tort? You should be doing it every day for a good 20 minutes when your tort isn't eating properly.

Finally, some photos of your tort and its enclosure will help us to spot things that will help.

It may be that the only problem is that it wasn't you looking after your tort for a few days. Torts are notoriously bad at handling change... and your sister isn't you :)