I think i was lied to...

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hope u dont drive a honda civic lol

no ..but I DID get an suv specifically for her (I got her at 4oz. But I had a funny feeling..she would out grow my ford probe (at that time... hey?? That had a hatchback.?) ? ....nope... needed a truck.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
30” x 30” and 130lbs..
while I have you here.... could you give me advice on how to “transport” her to a vet (if need be)?? All the rubber tubs on websites are too small???
Thanks in advance.

My friend and I took her sully, 85 lbs, to the vet. I have an SUV. So we put a tarp over the entire cargo area. Then we used a wide board as a ramp and dangled romaine in front of him. Bless him...he walked right up and into the car. The ride is 1 hour, and he was quiet and calm. At the vet's, they had a litter they brought out.

He was away from home for 3 hours, and he didn't pee or poop the entire time! The only difficulty we had was when we got him home, he refused to come out of the car onto the ramp. It was nap time. Took a bit of prodding and pushing, but finally he walked down.
What a good boy!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My friend and I took her sully, 85 lbs, to the vet. I have an SUV. So we put a tarp over the entire cargo area. Then we used a wide board as a ramp and dangled romaine in front of him. Bless him...he walked right up and into the car. The ride is 1 hour, and he was quiet and calm. At the vet's, they had a litter they brought out.

He was away from home for 3 hours, and he didn't pee or poop the entire time! The only difficulty we had was when we got him home, he refused to come out of the car onto the ramp. It was nap time. Took a bit of prodding and pushing, but finally he walked down.
What a good boy!
Wow
You are my hero!!!
The two times I had to take her to a vet I looked like I ran a five mile marathon!! She squirms and turns and kicks and poops and pees everywhere in the huge black tub I take her in.. (also threw a tarp on the floor of the suv) ..and by the time I got to the vet she was half way out of it!.. when I finally saw the vet I couldn’t care less what was wrong I was trying to correct my heart attack/stroke I was having... when the doctor said she would be ok ... I could have pinched her butt!!! (I didn’t by the way).
But I could have. ???
Now I understand why Tom says “they don’t like travel “..... he is sooooo right!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Wow
You are my hero!!!
The two times I had to take her to a vet I looked like I ran a five mile marathon!! She squirms and turns and kicks and poops and pees everywhere in the huge black tub I take her in.. (also threw a tarp on the floor of the suv) ..and by the time I got to the vet she was half way out of it!.. when I finally saw the vet I couldn’t care less what was wrong I was trying to correct my heart attack/stroke I was having... when the doctor said she would be ok ... I could have pinched her butt!!! (I didn’t by the way).
But I could have. ???
Now I understand why Tom says “they don’t like travel “..... he is sooooo right!!

Well, maybe it's the tub she hates. Next time, get up all your courage, lure her up a ramp, and just let her stay in back. Throw a blanket over her...maybe she'll sleep!

A ramp is worth having anyway. Get some boards, make it wide enough. Then put some 1x1's across the width to act as footholds. She might surprise you! ?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hows the lil one doing? And did he like the mazuri?
Not the first day. I chopped up his favorite butter lettuce really teenie and mixed it in and so far he'll eat it lol. He's getting a little more of the butter lettuce than normal for the moment so he'll eat it all lol. And I got stuffs from Kapidolo Farms too and thats mixed in too. He's still scarfing so... ?? ?

Sa Ga

MN
Wow
You are my hero!!!
But I could have. ???
I actually started out with a paper reams box. Then a black hanging file box. Then a half hard-sided cooler bag. She likes that one. It's big enough she can move around, but small enough that she feels cozy (she falls asleep in it). I can keep it climate controlled bc it's a cooler. I can clean it easily bc it's seamless, hard plastic along the sides and bottom. It "breathes" bc it has a fabric top. And...it looks like an oversized lunch bag (cuz that's what it actually is) so I don't have to worry about someone getting fluffy about her and can take Morla in on my other errands (not have to leave her in the car or drive all the way home rt away).

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
here's @2turtletom video on how to get them to eat zoomed pellets.

Thats awesome! Thats actually exactly what I do for him by mixing all that up! I have the zoomed, mazuri and a bunch of Kapidolo Farms packs as well as some grocery greens/grasses/weeds to change it up. So far any red plant or his grass works to get him to 'accidentally' eat the mashed pellets lol
I'm hoping one day he'll just go right for it if I ever wanna be a little lazy and not mix it all and just place it on top like I've seen some people able to do for there babies lol.
I have ordered a dicer to make it quicker and easier to mix it all up in small pieces to hide his least favorite stuffs and get him used to some of it easier. We'll see ?‍♀️

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok, so after soak weight for Ghido today is 58!
I realized last time that I weighed him in the middle of the day because I was so excited to get the scale, but now I'm doing like Tom recommended and doing it right after the soak since that's where he does his business.
Getting bigger!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I actually started out with a paper reams box. Then a black hanging file box. Then a half hard-sided cooler bag. She likes that one. It's big enough she can move around, but small enough that she feels cozy (she falls asleep in it). I can keep it climate controlled bc it's a cooler. I can clean it easily bc it's seamless, hard plastic along the sides and bottom. It "breathes" bc it has a fabric top. And...it looks like an oversized lunch bag (cuz that's what it actually is) so I don't have to worry about someone getting fluffy about her and can take Morla in on my other errands (not have to leave her in the car or drive all the way home rt away).

Pictures of oversized lunch bag please? ??