I think I may just suck at this.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Back years ago I bought my babies and I had them in an open type tortoise table, I also bought the sulcata from a local backyard breeder who told me they are Desert tortoises and that they don’t even need a water source. The leopard I got years ago was also not started well and I didn’t have the proper set up, the uv bulb was wrong for both enclosures and so was the heat lamp, and again I believe it was a bad source, the leopard never grew or wasn’t very active from the start. I was stubborn and didn’t believe the forum members until it was too late... although I did try, back then things might have been different if I had a proper set up from the start. I believe that 6 years ago it was 50-50 of fault of my babies passing.

This time, I really did everything the way I was supposed to. I listened to everything anyone suggested, I thought it was a good source for tortoises. But both now and then I have used zoo med coco Core, I cannot remember the source of the seeds from years ago but this time the seeds where specifically for growing for tortoises. They have no additives to the seeds and I found the soil mix here on the forum. I have not found any signs of mold, mildew or fungus and at this point I took out most of the stuff inside my newly empty enclosures. I checked everything probably 100 times. I found my source of the babies on here this time, although I have recently found out that the breeders they acquire their tortoises from raise their hatchlings the “old” way. The water source now is deep well water, and we had it tested a year ago, it’s not contaminated, no chlorine or chemicals.
What is the soil mix that you found here on the forum? I have seen a number of soil mixes recommended on this forum that unfortunately were not safe. Unless @Tom recommended it specifically, I would be cautious. I think it is far better to grow your Tortoise food outside of your enclosure. It is often too warm in a closed chamber to successfully grow crops anyway. Also, it should not be necessary to use a fogger of any type in a properly set up closed chamber. I'm so glad everything is checking out, that way you will be assured of raising up your own babies successfully next time. Again, I am so very sorry this has happened to you yet again.

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
What is the soil mix that you found here on the forum? I have seen a number of soil mixes recommended on this forum that unfortunately were not safe. Unless @Tom recommended it specifically, I would be cautious. I think it is far better to grow your Tortoise food outside of your enclosure. It is often too warm in a closed chamber to successfully grow crops anyway. Also, it should not be necessary to use a fogger of any type in a properly set up closed chamber. I'm so glad everything is checking out, that way you will be assured of raising up your own babies successfully next time. Again, I am so very sorry this has happened to you yet again.
I listen to everything Tom says and suggests...I’ll message him and be like is this safe for torque? Can I use this? And whatever he says I listen - I’m a member of two tortoise pages on Facebook and even tho that maybe some of them MIGHT know what they are talking about I still don’t ask questions, I always go to Tom bc he’s very smart and has been a tortoise enthusiast for decades, maybe even longer than I’ve been alive! Lol

@BrookeB i am still so genuinely sorry these horrible events keep happening to you, don’t beat yourself up over it and it’s not your fault, you are trying your best :<3:

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
I’ll just chime in here with a positive story. I purchased a hatchling Sully from @Lancecham I guess 5 years ago. Never raised a baby tort before, but always grew up with misc torts in my care. Before our Sully arrived, I read, re-read and read again all the Sully Care Sheet info that Tom & others have provided. I followed the info to a T. Sully arrived safe n sound and placed into our already warm, humid enclosure with a lid etc. Ive never had one issue. It’s grown from a tiny hatchling to our Little Monster. No issues, no concerns, never a vet visit.

Don’t give up. Get a properly started hatchling, follow the info here on TFO and all will be good.

Best of Luck & take Tom up on his offer.
I’ll just chime in here with a positive story. I purchased a hatchling Sully from @Lancecham I guess 5 years ago. Never raised a baby tort before, but always grew up with misc torts in my care. Before our Sully arrived, I read, re-read and read again all the Sully Care Sheet info that Tom & others have provided. I followed the info to a T. Sully arrived safe n sound and placed into our already warm, humid enclosure with a lid etc. Ive never had one issue. It’s grown from a tiny hatchling to our Little Monster. No issues, no concerns, never a vet visit.

Don’t give up. Get a properly started hatchling, follow the info here on TFO and all will be good.

Best of Luck & take Tom up on his offer.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Back years ago I bought my babies and I had them in an open type tortoise table, I also bought the sulcata from a local backyard breeder who told me they are Desert tortoises and that they don’t even need a water source. The leopard I got years ago was also not started well and I didn’t have the proper set up, the uv bulb was wrong for both enclosures and so was the heat lamp, and again I believe it was a bad source, the leopard never grew or wasn’t very active from the start. I was stubborn and didn’t believe the forum members until it was too late... although I did try, back then things might have been different if I had a proper set up from the start. I believe that 6 years ago it was 50-50 of fault of my babies passing.

This time, I really did everything the way I was supposed to. I listened to everything anyone suggested, I thought it was a good source for tortoises. But both now and then I have used zoo med coco Core, I cannot remember the source of the seeds from years ago but this time the seeds where specifically for growing for tortoises. They have no additives to the seeds and I found the soil mix here on the forum. I have not found any signs of mold, mildew or fungus and at this point I took out most of the stuff inside my newly empty enclosures. I checked everything probably 100 times. I found my source of the babies on here this time, although I have recently found out that the breeders they acquire their tortoises from raise their hatchlings the “old” way. The water source now is deep well water, and we had it tested a year ago, it’s not contaminated, no chlorine or chemicals.
BrookeB, bad things, even horrible things still happen to good people.
I work in the medical field, and I can GUARANTEE you that even when you do absolutely EVERYTHING as right as right can be, people and animals die. It's one of the challenges of Life.

As painful as it is, forgiving YOURSELF if the most important first thing for you to do.
Really. :<3:

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
The reptile fogger is set to turn on if the rh drops below 80rh and turn off at 95rh. It rarely turns on and the reason I have it is because I live in high desert, the rh in my home is very very low, and outside my home it’s even lower, even in a closed chamber it is difficult to keep humidity up at a level that prevents pyramiding. Especially when I need to take them out to soak, feed, clean enclosures. As for planting inside the enclosures I like many aspects of a planted enclosure, it’s something I plan on continuing to do unless @Tom specifically tells me that is my issue. I’ve had planted enclosures for many reptiles and amphibians, to me it seems the most natural way of adding environmental enrichment to an enclosure. Foraging, hiding, pulling food off of its roots, all things that can be done in a planted enclosure.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I just lost my last Sulcata baby Dozer. Almost lasted a week longer than the others. Pretty sad but I was definitely expecting this one.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I'm so very sorry. I can't imagine how hard it must be.

I hope you're able to take Tom up on his offer. You deserve a healthy baby to raise

Thatrandomsum1

Connecticut
Sorry to hear man. Is it possible that one may have had an infection and it spread to the rest? I've been lucky with my little dude. Had him since literally a hatchling. Hes a picky eater at times so you gotta figure em out with different stuff. I find cloves work well so I started growing em in his tank and he loves it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry to hear man. Is it possible that one may have had an infection and it spread to the rest? I've been lucky with my little dude. Had him since literally a hatchling. Hes a picky eater at times so you gotta figure em out with different stuff. I find cloves work well so I started growing em in his tank and he loves it
Are you talking about the spice - cloves? or do you mean the ground cover - clover?

Thatrandomsum1

Connecticut
Yes ground clover, shouldve been more specific. Grows quick and he loves it. And seed is cheap on amazon. Its a white clover

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
They where shipped together but lived in separate enclosures, they showed no signs of infection or parasites but I mean I guess anything is possible. They seemed fine and then they all just started to shutdown. Nothing helped, and believe me I really tried everything.

Thatrandomsum1

Connecticut
Oof. Dont give up tho. Try a new breeder. I've gotten things from Shadow reptiles and Blake's Exotic animal ranch with fantastic results.