I think I just made a $50 mistake

M

Maggie Cummings

Sylvia, I would be so embarrassed, I only have one working hand, so any construction I do is fairly funky, does the job, but don't look too good. I have to get dressed and feed right now. But I will try to get a picture that doesn't look too bad...give me a little while....

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
My sister in Fresno collects bags of orchid bark. Then I make a 1600 mile round trip to get some from her as there is no such thing in the Willamette Valley. In 10 years I have never found any orchid bark in my part of Oregon, including Portland. We just got a Home Depot and it doesn't carry anything I would use for torts. I am fostering 2 very young Sulcata now, and Pansy the 2 month old is on coir. Don't tell Tom this but I have a real funky set-up (being one handed) but this baby is living in a 2 room closed chamber. I keep the humidity at 80%, that means pouring lots of water, my point...since I started doing Maggie's version of Tom's closed chamber I find the coir kept wet or damp does not get all over everything, I've never seen any in Pansy's eyes, and I am maybe changing my mind about how crappy I always thought coir was.....look at how red this baby is. She's just beautiful.......maybe more red in person...:)

xju9l2UR9fwpcRGzX0WRjTgJal6un8ow0taJBuYNw2YutWxHDxvf30tlnIGlbHIc60J4d5HFXTyik3qchM2-g8GPcIFRNepg34P4Osb1C3h2rXdKuq9cnxiZQyr7eQdp2RfPI6G19UVlkSV-CzzJdFwfwqiIV4O42EkZJZInsvV9B3S8UeyCrO5oOm9r95tPHMjsqUwoix7ik222xepUyqk75wR1ORcF4GVL3U-VipRCWaovxbyZFNn8jZsWyyKyQN5rGZjfFFGkJudBJYjgMeWUTapk7ezNE45wj42rSXcdj-f7tlVsrlZKmBMNtb0LjhRBq0zfnIA11VMamYbwjFk_rHXvD0F7D2jfVvqVOYWsmh1kSBSFnHlvxeiXJXky2l0GeTgzzAp4JgLXp7-m_Z83A4wqllAic57EPyw6wWDYDezNNcenDul_AOf4IFfBIhOsFoBz1KQJ90DJSBKJcnq2ZijxLP3GA0RDUUFExZ8TI3E2eHkLLbznrhOsztWfD1RzG5RL5Vsspbeshz1MNbHFHyXxqI2rOUxsDR1X4-vo68hhhMQR2GH4XgkaNJpUQGA5=w903-h677-no
What a gorgeous baby!!!! I want it!!!!! But seriously, I've been using coir for few months and love it. Mine is with little mix of garden soil bcs I grow plants and sprout seeds in there. It does get messy when my girl decides to burrow in some but with use of plants, flat rocks and moss inside of hides and around food and water dish things are manageable with only occasional spot cleaning and maybe once every 4-6 weeks substrate stirring to give everything good aeration (thinking of live bugs in there). I have not ever changed my substrate nor do I every intend to (hopefully). .... still, your little baby is gorgeous and I want her!!!!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Sylvia, I would be so embarrassed, I only have one working hand, so any construction I do is fairly funky, does the job, but don't look too good. I have to get dressed and feed right now. But I will try to get a picture that doesn't look too bad...give me a little while....
So sorry to hear about your hand. I want to share a story related to that but can't hijack this thread. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456333423.187449.jpg here's what I do around food, water, sleeping quarters. At times when she decides to dig shallow nest for herself I just take her to the bathroom and give her quick warm shower to rinse all the dirt away from her eyes and mouth

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I've been using a mix of coir and forest floor for 2 yrs now with no trouble. They burrow in the drier areas of the enclosure and The moist areas are suitable for sprouts. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456363384.417549.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456363406.315971.jpg