I think he’s dying.

Karairene

Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, nc
I don’t even know what to say here. I have a year old sulcata that I’ve had since he was a hatchling. I’ve had no issues. I live in NC where the temps are 80-90 during the day and in the 70’s at night. He gets soaked, lots of grass at all times, huge hide, access to water. He’s been sleeping all day today. There is what seems to be yellow spots on his face. I had another sulcata that I didn’t even have an entire month die yesterday and I am devastated.

What pictures do you need to see?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, sorry that u r joining this Forum in such stressful circumstances.

Some pictures of your enclosure, lighting, heating arrangements, etc.

were they housed and kept together?

Access to any strange bad plants?

Is it possible it ate something bad or got sprayed by something?

Karairene

Kernersville, nc
Greetings, sorry that u r joining this Forum in such stressful circumstances.

Some pictures of your enclosure, lighting, heating arrangements, etc.

were they housed and kept together?

Access to any strange bad plants?

Is it possible it ate something bad or got sprayed by something?
They’re outside so there are no lights and it’s humid here in nc. It hasn’t been below 70 in a while.

They were housed together

No access to anything strange and also no spraying. I’m in charge of lawn maintenance.

Bambam1989

East Texas
He’s already been soaked today
May I ask for how long he was soaked? I have a feeling your tort is suffering stress from the insect bites as well as the low night time temps, this affects the immune system. We recommend keeping sulcatas that are this small in temps above 80.

Karairene

Kernersville, nc
May I ask for how long he was soaked? I have a feeling your tort is suffering stress from the insect bites as well as the low night time temps, this affects the immune system. We recommend keeping sulcatas that are this small in temps above 80.
20-30 minutes with the water changed.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Do you have a way to keep him inside for now? Have you read our caresheets by chance? I can link them here if you would like.
I will let others with more experience on caring for sick torts give advice on possible carrot soaks and etc.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I don't see any yellow spots. More pictures at different angles would help. I would strongly suggest taking your Sulcata to the vet as soon as possible. Similar reports of yellows spots were in fact a form of bacterial infection. You should definitely move that tortoise inside and raise their temperatures for the time being.

Please read the links provided. Especially the part about indoor enclosure size, temperature, and lighting needs.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...h-small-sulcata-bad-for-the-small-one.161320/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they have no heat at night and your temps are dropping into the 70's that is too cold. You need to house babies inside. They need to be kept warm, 80 day and night and to bask under a bulb or heat source that reaches 95-100 to properly digest their food. You need to change things asap. They also need more then just grass to eat. Please read all the stickies in the sulcata section after you get a night heat source for this one and a correct basking spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry your little one isn't doing well (and that the other one died). When we offer advice about soaking, we're not talking about what you should do in his daily routine. Soaking a sick tortoise helps him, so this is an additional soak.

I see the tiny yellow dots on the skin, but I haven't a clue what causes them. Ant bites is a reasonable guess.

I agree with what's already been said - set this baby up in a small hospital tank, indoors, and maintain the temperature at around 80F to 85F degrees at all times. Soak him in warm water for at least a half hour each time. Cover the tank to keep the warm air inside.

Take a look at our sulcata care sheet for ideas on what to feed a baby sulcata. Grass really isn't such a good food item for a baby tortoise.

Karairene

Kernersville, nc
I'm so sorry your little one isn't doing well (and that the other one died). When we offer advice about soaking, we're not talking about what you should do in his daily routine. Soaking a sick tortoise helps him, so this is an additional soak.

I see the tiny yellow dots on the skin, but I haven't a clue what causes them. Ant bites is a reasonable guess.

I agree with what's already been said - set this baby up in a small hospital tank, indoors, and maintain the temperature at around 80F to 85F degrees at all times. Soak him in warm water for at least a half hour each time. Cover the tank to keep the warm air inside.

Take a look at our sulcata care sheet for ideas on what to feed a baby sulcata. Grass really isn't such a good food item for a baby tortoise.
It says in the care sheet that their diet is mostly grass. He grazes all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It says in the care sheet that their diet is mostly grass. He grazes all the time.
Yes, the larger tortoise do eat a lot of grass, but when they're babies, like yours, grass isn't a big part of their diet.

Shadowhunter

Miami
I don’t even know what to say here. I have a year old sulcata that I’ve had since he was a hatchling. I’ve had no issues. I live in NC where the temps are 80-90 during the day and in the 70’s at night. He gets soaked, lots of grass at all times, huge hide, access to water. He’s been sleeping all day today. There is what seems to be yellow spots on his face. I had another sulcata that I didn’t even have an entire month die yesterday and I am devastated.

What pictures do you need to see?

Were the tortoises housed together ? Maybe the one you got last month got your other one sick