"I see pyramiding"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My interpretation of this response is that you may be in De Nile that any other factors could contribute to prymiding other than lack of humidity...

You interpretation would be totally incorrect. Sorry. I've had many lengthy discussions about my POV on pyramiding over the years here. It seems you missed those discussions. That's okay. I miss posts all the time too.

And I've never been to De Nile, or even to that part of Africa. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, let's get rid of the term 'pyramiding' in this thread, and call it abnormal shell growth, which is any shell growth different to what they would naturally have in the wild.
Then under ASG, you can definitely include overfeeding, lighting, temperatures and diet in general into the mix as well, there is plenty of evidence for this, and to maintain a 100% healthy shell there are other factors involved as well, which is why I don't like the 'humidity is the answer, the only answer,' approach that many promote on here, if you see what I mean Tom in particular. Humidity does have a role in a healthy shell, but many wild shells also pyramid. Anyways, I'll be going to rural Kenya next year so I'll see if I can find some pardalis burrows in particular.

I don't think anyone will argue that low humidity is the sole cause of pyramiding in any case. I won't.

I look forward to anything and everything you can share with us about your observations of wild Kenyan tortoises! Please take a good hygrometer and temp probe with you. I don't think anyone will complain of too many pics either!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I don't think anyone will argue that low humidity is the sole cause of pyramiding in any case. I won't.

I look forward to anything and everything you can share with us about your observations of wild Kenyan tortoises! Please take a good hygrometer and temp probe with you. I don't think anyone will complain of too many pics either!
Of course, I'll see what I can see. It's a volunteering project mainly helping out a local school, but since it is so rural there should be a decent amount of wildlife nearby I would suspect.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
To clarify my comment regarding shells appearing to be made of plastic..animal on the right compared to the left.

Attachments

• 1411829983846.jpg
    1411829983846.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 62

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
This animal suffered from MBD early in life.

Attachments

• 1411830242688.jpg
    1411830242688.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 64

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Flaring of the anterior marginal scutes in cuora picturata due to over eating.

Attachments

• 1411831085997.jpg
    1411831085997.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1411831102434.jpg
    1411831102434.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 64
  • 1411831114369.jpg
    1411831114369.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 64

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I believe you are incorrect in your assumption...here is why I think that.....the tortoise that lives in that shell, is not fat, that tortoise that lives in that shell looks underweight to me.....there is no way that overfeeding of grocery food items nor free grazing is causing that issue, there is plain and simple evidence right in the pic....also, that turtle in the other pic is not heavy either---that flaring is common and likely due to the uva/uvb and dry out time being lacking.....now, you two can jump on me because I happen to not ride the "its a fatty thing train"....but it is clear to me what it is NOT.....

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I believe you are incorrect in your assumption...here is why I think that.....the tortoise that lives in that shell, is not fat, that tortoise that lives in that shell looks underweight to me.....there is no way that overfeeding of grocery food items nor free grazing is causing that issue, there is plain and simple evidence right in the pic....also, that turtle in the other pic is not heavy either---that flaring is common and likely due to the uva/uvb and dry out time being lacking.....now, you two can jump on me because I happen to not ride the "its a fatty thing train"....but it is clear to me what it is NOT.....
How much experience do you have raising cuora?
I assure you that my animals are not underweight.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How much experience do you have raising cuora?

ZERO...but I do know about aquatic turtles....and even if I did not, it does not take a genius to see what is fat and what is not...shall we continue with this battle or are you okay now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
ZERO...but I do know about aquatic turtles....and even if I did not, it does not take a genius to see what is fat and what is not...shall we continue with this battle or are you okay now?
Very classy reply in this"friendly place to talk turtles".

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very classy reply in this"friendly place to talk turtles".

Ahhh come on now, who told you I was a classy broad? Seriously, can we be finished now? I shared my opinion and you did not like it and so you pulled the "how much experience do you have" card and that was a passive aggressive B.S. thing ----so class was met with class....by the way, you have a lovely turtle...

Alaskamike

South Florida
Ahhh come on now, who told you I was a classy broad? Seriously, can we be finished now? I shared my opinion and you did not like it and so you pulled the "how much experience do you have" card and that was a passive aggressive B.S. thing ----so class was met with class....by the way, you have a lovely turtle...
Ascott, you are the most entertaining and skilled writer I've read on any forum in a long time. If writing is not your profession - it should be. I have the feeling you could make someone cry and laugh in the same paragraph. Quite a talent. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ascott, you are the most entertaining and skilled writer I've read on any forum in a long time. If writing is not your profession - it should be. I have the feeling you could make someone cry and laugh in the same paragraph. Quite a talent. :)

*big curtsy*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've tried to separate out the OT stuff and set it up in it's own thread. Let's try to keep on topic, please.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Sorry, I still don't get it. One looks dirtier and the other looks rounder?

I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum
The one to the left has duller colors, while the one on the right has vibrant color (just focus on the black). The one on the left looks worn out...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Accusing someone who has tenfold the experience of you with chelonia of having underweight animals, not allowing a "dry-out time" for cuora (huh?), and not having proper UVB bulbs, and getting upset because they pulled the "experience card", is, well, pretty darn stupid, and entirely classless behavior from who I assume is a grown woman.

Nice pictures Ben. They do a good job of illustrating the issue you talk about. Sorry your met with such disrespect over it...
How much is the suggested amount of feeding for a turtle then?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I see this, yes, but I don't understand the problem. They both look beautiful to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum
The one on the left feels old, which is a good... I really like the way time and the outdoors ages them!