I pick up my first Tortoise on Friday!

T1ME1

Location (City and/or State)
East Anglia, England, United Kingdom
Hello everybody!

I am a married man in my late 20's from the UK. I have had a fascination with Tortoises from a young age and finally feel in a position to be able to make this lifelong commitment. My parents were not keen on me having a tortoise at a young age, and I resisted the temptation to buy one in my late teens/early twenties because I did not feel I was in a position to give it the stable and happy life it deserved (what with university and then rented accommodation with no garden. Now though, I am married, have bought my own house with a nice garden, and am ready to committ.

I have therefore been the my local reptile store and chosen a Spur Thighed Tortoise from an August 2013 clutch. I have also ordered a tortoise table with full starter package from the same place. It should all be ready for me to pick up on Friday afternoon!

I have done a lot of research over the years but, as other people on here seem to have mentioned, have found a lot of conflicting information. My main concern is diet. I plan to grow my own weeds/plants for my tortoise to eat but I was wondering if there are any spur thighed owners on the forum who could please provide me with a general list of the best stuff to feed and in what quantities. I would also appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of a definitive list of poisonous plants.

I have picked out two possible spots for the tortoise table in my spare room. One is beneath the window and the other is at the other end of the room. I know that tortoises benefit from natural sun-light so I thought near the window would be good, but I am concious this could also be a bit cold in the Winter months. Am I just better putting it at the other end of the room and ensuring I get the tortoise outside whenever weather permits?

Further bit of background, my Wife has a cat, so I have ordered a mesh lid for the table. Presumably this will be sufficient - I am a little worried the cat may climb up on the mesh and stress the tortoise - what are cat owners' experiences of this, please?

On a final note, I have had the name of my tortoise picked out since the age of 10... Leonard (after Jason Leonard, the former England Rugby player) - just got to keep my fingers crossed it turns out to be a male!

Thank you for reading, I look forward to posting some pictures of Lenny, contributing to the forum and getting to know you all over the coming months and years!

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Welcome! And congrats on finally realizing your tortoise dream! Looking forward to seeing pics of Lenny soon :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Welcome! It may help if you clarify on spur-thighed tortoise...there are two varieties! I'm thinking you mean a Greek?

Regarding cats, you may want something sturdier than mesh. My concern is that the cat could fall through or tear it. My first enclosure had a plastic lid with a square foot hole covered in chicken wire and was reinforced on the edges of that hole with wood strips. My current one has a plywood lid (lights underneath). My cats love laying on top of his enclosure, it's nice and warm. :) They like to watch him and I don't think he could care any less.

I'll see if I can find some pics to show you what I'm talking about.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Here's how I did my lids. My first enclosure was a plastic tub, now he's in a 75 gallon tank. My guy's just a little one so he benefits from the humidity in these types of enclosure. Hopefully these can give you some ideas.

Attachments

• CAM00488.jpg
    CAM00488.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 25
  • CAM00448.jpg
    CAM00448.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 28
  • CAM00287.jpg
    CAM00287.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 25
  • CAM00290.jpg
    CAM00290.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 26
  • CAM00287.jpg
    CAM00287.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 22

T1ME1

Thanks for the kind replies. StarSaphire, I believe the lid will have a wooden frame and chicken wire over the middle. I cannot open your pictures from the computer I am on at the moment, but will do later thank you. Yes, I was told the tortoise was a Greek and that due to the Med climate of its origins would need to have the substrate misted.

I have also been told that I will recieve a certificate/lisence from the breeder when I pick it up, which I am sure will have the details on.

The cat is the main aspect of this that makes me the most nervous. I will reinforce the chicken wire if it does not look strong enough; I just don't want the cat dropping hairs into the tortoise table and trying to get at it. If that is going to be the case then I will have to look at ways of preventing it from happening and possibly resort to keeping the door to the spare bedroom closed. I am now looking at an outdoor enclosure, which I hope to build myself. My wife is keen on having one that can be moved around the garden easily (i.e picked up and moved to different areas of grass), whereas I am wary of these types of enclosure as they do not go into the ground and stop the Tortoise from digging its way out.

A lot of the outdoor enclosures I have seen for sale online seem not to make any provision for the possibility of the Tortoise digging its way out!

T1ME1

StarSaphire, I was able to look at your pictures last night, thank you. When I ordered the table the other day I told the breeder why I wanted the lid so hopefully it will do the job. If not, I will look at reinforcing using your examples.

I will post pictures once I have set it all up on Friday!

T1ME1

Thanks. Picked him up on Friday. All going well accept I haven't seen him drink (not too much of an issue I think as I am soaking him in the mornings) and I have not seen any faeces yet (may he that I can't see it in the coconut coir). He did urinate in his food bowl this morning though, and is eating well!

tsemiller

Prob taking in water when he's being soaked. Sometimes don't even open their mouths to drink - just lower their mouth and nose under the water a fraction.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
It is pretty normal. Can you tell if he is drinking water? My Hermenni do that sometime.

Welcome and good to have you here. This is a great place to learn and share.