I need to ID a pet tort I found in Dallas, TX

gavindr

Location (City and/or State)
Richardson
This little beauty is 6" long yellow geometric shell, astoundingly fast, rear legs look like miniature elephant legs, (columnar? ok). It's head was sort of pointy ...a beak? I was 7 when I found it. Both the tort and I were helpless and traumatized by the complete lack of adult help at the time. I still cry every time I think of it, which is several times a day now for the past 6 months (Yes, I'm crazy?). Anyway, let's solve Problem #1, What was it? An African Sulcata? That's my guess, but pictures I see vary from "definitely not that", to "Hmm, yeah, maybe so." Chief feature was it's speed. Surprised everyone. Does the color vary a lot, or is this the effect of shell conditioner? Please help. Thank you all so much. ("May tortoises rule planet earth.")

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This little beauty is 6" long yellow geometric shell, astoundingly fast, rear legs look like miniature elephant legs, (columnar? ok). It's head was sort of pointy ...a beak? I was 7 when I found it. Both the tort and I were helpless and traumatized by the complete lack of adult help at the time. I still cry every time I think of it, which is several times a day now for the past 6 months (Yes, I'm crazy?). Anyway, let's solve Problem #1, What was it? An African Sulcata? That's my guess, but pictures I see vary from "definitely not that", to "Hmm, yeah, maybe so." Chief feature was it's speed. Surprised everyone. Does the color vary a lot, or is this the effect of shell conditioner? Please help. Thank you all so much. ("May tortoises rule planet earth.")
Most likely a box turtle.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I mean this in the nicest way possible: Google it.

Since it was so long ago and you can't post pictures, your best would to look at pictures

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it was 49 years ago, and you're sure about the resemblance to a sulcata, maybe Texas Tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet it was some sort of box turtle. I wonder what you mean by "geometric shell"? There was a design on the shell? Box turtle.