I need some info regarding Sulcata Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

eframcas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami
Hello everyone!

I am the proud new father of a Sulcata Tortoise, about 12 weeks old. I have 4 turtles but this is my first tortoise. I am familiar with turtles but not with tortoises, specially Sulcatas.

I have done a lot of research and I understand how big they can grow and how old they can get to be. This to me is great because I love the idea of a pet that I may pass down to my family in the future and perhaps they can pass it down as well. I have bought the necessary lighting and also a nice little hut for him to hide under for cooler temps. I have the Sammy (short for Samuel L. Jackson) in an aquarium as his enclosure. I am looking forward to getting a bigger place where I can get him a much bigger enclosure, the aquarium is 20 gallons. The aquarium is only for his 1st year at most. I understand their dietary needs and it seems to be a clear consensus throughout the whole online community that grasses are best for them, with clear specifics as to what grasses.

I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. What is the best substrate for them to use in an indoor enclosure? I currently have bark in it, but everyone seems to agree that this is not the best for him and I am planning on changing it ASAP. However, there does not seem to be a clear "perfect" choice. I would very much like to hear opinions.

2. What is the suggested humidity percentage for Sulcata's? I also hear a lot of back and forth on this issue, "Dry is better since they are from Africa", "They need humidity to cool down", and so forth. What do some of you keep it at or suggest?

3. Depending on the substrate, would it be entirely at all possible to grow grass inside the enclosure to provide the freedom of grazing? Just a thought. I am already buying what I need to grow some grasses on a separate container.

4. Since I am choosing to grow my own grass, what is the best safe soil to use for growing the grasses?

I want to thank everyone for their responses in advance.
THANK YOU!:D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
For indoor enclosures, I prefer a mixture of cypress mulch and coconut coir. Both are fairly cheap, and offer a good diggable substrate for young tortoises.

Not sure what to tell you on the grass situation, since my sulcata is now outdoors. I'm sure others will chime in soon enough.

I strongly recommend checking out this link and reading all of those threads. Most pertain to raising baby sulcatas.

I also would suggest taking a gander at this thread concerning closed-in habitats. Additionally, feel free to check out the thread linked at the bottom of my signature. It is currently for a couple of baby redfoots, but it would work well for young sulcatas, too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi eframcas:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You probably won't get your baby to eat grass. I usually start babies off on a packaged lettuce mixture called Santa Barbara Mix, and to that I'll add weeds and leaves from outside.

There's some good baby sulcata reading in the link provided in the previous post. Most of your questions should be answered in those articles.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to The Forum. I agree with Yvonne, babies may not take to eating grass and I too like the Santa Barbara Mix (endive, escarole, radicchio). Don't think the 20 gallon aquarium will last a year. It will serve you as a starter enclosure. Also you are going to need a thermostat to control a heat source. I use ceramic heat emitters for night time heat and ambient temps. You do not want to let them get too cold or too hot. As for humidity, I would keep the humidity as high as you can in the enclosure. When my tortoise was a baby I made a top for the enclosure, also an aquarium, so that I could trap the moisture inside.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Haha! LOVE the name!!! Welcome eframcas and welcome Sammy!

Natural grazing is great for a hatchling. It gives them exercise and an opportunity to strengthen those natural instincts. However, I would advise not relying completely on the grazing to fulfill the hatchling's dietary needs. Supplementing with store bought greens is a way to make sure he is eating.

This is the seed mix I use for my hatchling: http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=509

And here some other edible seed mixes. This is just to give you an idea of what healthy, edible plants are out there. You can find alot of these at your local nursery.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41&zenid=c69184d291e125ef5962d637e5fb457c

From the store, try to focus on greens that have high calcium, low phosphorus, low sugar. Some examples include: Carob, chicory, collard greens, endive, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, and grape leaf. Personally, I'll also throw in spring herb mix for variety (and because my tort loves it).

Hope this helps and again, WELCOME !

Don't forget to visit the links StudentoftheReptile provided. :)

Cheers!

One more thing.....

Please please please take him outside daily so he can soak in the sun. The first year is sooooo important is this guys long term health. You can feed him an absolutely perfect diet, but if he doesn't get enough D3, his diet means nothing. Sunshine! Sunshine! Sunshine!

Okay, I'm dismounting the high-horse and stepping off the soapbox now......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is a ton of current info in my signature, just click away...

Your bark is a fine substrate. Many of us prefer that. You might be able to sprout some seeds indoors. Won't hurt to try. You can also sprout some seed in organic soil in trays. Then just sink the tray into the substrate, so that it is level with the surface. Then you can rotate trays as they get eaten and trampled.

A few tips:
1. Soak your baby in warm, shallow water for about 20-30 minutes every day for the first few months.
2. Make a proper humid hide for your baby. This will help him grow smooth and simulate a natural wild burrow to a degree.
3. I don't think a 20 gallon is big enough for a baby. Once you add in a humid hide, a water and food dish, and any other "furniture", there is hardly any room to walk. I prefer a 40 or 60 to start them in, but even these only last a few months. They grow fast. You can go buy a big plastic storage tub at any hardware store for around $15.
4. Everyone has a different strategy for lighting and heating, so it makes me nervous when someone says they have "the necessary lighting." The general strategy is a basking light on a timer and a heating element of some sort, like a ceramic heating element, on a thermostat to maintain ambient temps day and night. Be aware that those coil type UV bulbs can damage their eyes, and most of us recommend against them.
5. Tortoises need outside time for sunshine grazing and exercise. It must be done carefully and safely though, and you live in a great place for this. In my signature are three different threads full of all sorts of ideas for this. I start my babies with an hour or two a day and by the time they are a year old, they spend all day outside, weather permitting. If I lived where your are with all that glorious humidity AND warm temps, I'd probably leave mine out much longer when they are tiny babies.

Good luck and feel free to ask lots and lots of questions. :)

tortle

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I'm able to grow grazing seed in the indoor enclosure. I just planted them right in the coco coir. But it can get unmanageable lol

image-3596699995.png

image-3720148131.png

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
eframcas said:
Hello everyone!

I am the proud new father of a Sulcata Tortoise, about 12 weeks old. I have 4 turtles but this is my first tortoise. I am familiar with turtles but not with tortoises, specially Sulcatas.

I have done a lot of research and I understand how big they can grow and how old they can get to be. This to me is great because I love the idea of a pet that I may pass down to my family in the future and perhaps they can pass it down as well. I have bought the necessary lighting and also a nice little hut for him to hide under for cooler temps. I have the Sammy (short for Samuel L. Jackson) in an aquarium as his enclosure. I am looking forward to getting a bigger place where I can get him a much bigger enclosure, the aquarium is 20 gallons. The aquarium is only for his 1st year at most. I understand their dietary needs and it seems to be a clear consensus throughout the whole online community that grasses are best for them, with clear specifics as to what grasses.

I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1. What is the best substrate for them to use in an indoor enclosure? I currently have bark in it, but everyone seems to agree that this is not the best for him and I am planning on changing it ASAP. However, there does not seem to be a clear "perfect" choice. I would very much like to hear opinions.

2. What is the suggested humidity percentage for Sulcata's? I also hear a lot of back and forth on this issue, "Dry is better since they are from Africa", "They need humidity to cool down", and so forth. What do some of you keep it at or suggest?

3. Depending on the substrate, would it be entirely at all possible to grow grass inside the enclosure to provide the freedom of grazing? Just a thought. I am already buying what I need to grow some grasses on a separate container.

4. Since I am choosing to grow my own grass, what is the best safe soil to use for growing the grasses?

I want to thank everyone for their responses in advance.
THANK YOU!:D

1. Coco coir is the best substrate.

2. Spray all four walls with warm water to keep the humidity (some people say no humidity they are from Africa. but! They completely ignore the four months of raining season! Which is mostly when there shells are developing. So therefore: KEEP IT HUMID! Tom said all of this and I have seen his Sulcata's and they are SO smooth!)

3. Yes I believe you can grow grass in coco coir.

4. Like I said before coco coir.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Tom, Haven't you mentioned before that a few or more hours a weeks of sunlight is good? I just want to check for myself!

eframcas

5 Year Member
Miami
Livingstone said:
What bulb did you get???

The light bulb that I got for the tank is an Exo Terra Repti Glo 13W 10.0 UVB. I also have a incandescent light bulb on it for the basking spot. I will be buying a ceramic heat emitter to keep the enclosure around 80 degrees at night. If there is any additional light that I might need, I would appreciate the info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DON'T USE THAT BULB! The coil type bulbs can damage their eyes. Use either a long tube fluorescent or an MVB or better yet, just use your incandescent indoors and make sure he gets some direct sunshine several times a week.

jason g.

5 Year Member
Tom said:
DON'T USE THAT BULB! The coil type bulbs can damage their eyes. Use either a long tube fluorescent or an MVB or better yet, just use your incandescent indoors and make sure he gets some direct sunshine several times a week.

When I heard this I took mine out. They do work for putting them over top some plants to grow indoors. So you didn't totally waste your money.

eframcas

5 Year Member
Miami
Tom said:

Tom, I am planning on buying a Reptisun 10.0 26W Compact Flourescent bulb. I think this will cover it well, along with spending time outside. Right?

eframcas

5 Year Member
Miami
On the topic of substrate, I have chosen to get some Coco coir and use it to cover about 75% of the enclosure, I will leave the other 25% with bark. I will have the basking area with the bark, that being the drier end of the enclosure. I will use the coco coir for the rest of the enclosure where the food tray and housing will go, this being the area with more moisture kind of imitating their burrows, unless he chooses to make his own which he most likely will. The enclosure temperatures are as follow: Hot spot= 95 F, Cool Spot= 85 F, Housing= 80-82 F, and Night Time= 75-80 F. I have some ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food to feed him for now, along with a selection of store bought veggies, this is until the grasses I am planting now grow to a good size.

If there is anything that would be beneficial to change or adjust, please advice.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
eframcas said:
Tom, I am planning on buying a Reptisun 10.0 26W Compact Flourescent bulb. I think this will cover it well, along with spending time outside. Right?

I wouldn't use any Compact Florescent. They have been known to damage young tort's eyes.
Either use a long strait type florescent tube or a Mercury Vapor Bulb.
The MVB will provided both UV and basking heat.
Also if you can get him natural sun at least 3 days a week artificial UV is not necessary but is a good supplement.

eframcas

5 Year Member
Miami
cljohnson said:
eframcas said:

I wouldn't use any Compact Florescent. They have been known to damage young tort's eyes.
Either use a long strait type florescent tube or a Mercury Vapor Bulb.
The MVB will provided both UV and basking heat.
Also if you can get him natural sun at least 3 days a week artificial UV is not necessary but is a good supplement.

Thank you for the info. How many hours each day is suggested to bring them out to the sun. I thought about the MVB but the smallest they come in are 100 Watts and that would be way too hot for my enclosure. The 60 Watts I have now provides great temperatures for the tank. Do you happen to know of any MVB that are less than 100 Watts?

Thank you.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I would start with about an hour at a time and slowly build up to all day at about a year old.
Build some kind of box or use a plastic kiddie pool that you can put damp substrate in. Plain dirt is fine. Make sure there is some shade and a hide. Put some kind of chicken wire top on it to keep birds or other predators out.
Give him a nice soak after sunning for the first few months.
I don't know much about MVBs.
I personally use a 4 foot Reptisun 10.0 for UV and regular household flood lights for basking.
Reptisun bulbs come in 18 inch - 4 foot sizes.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Welcome, great job for taking so much time to learn about your new baby. Also love the name Sammy. Due to my app on the iPad, it doesn't show where you are located... May I ask where you are? Your little guy is much younger than mine but know that later on its not to easy to keep up with the indoor grasses. I know a lot of people have had success but I never have. Mine eats it way to fast compared to how fast I could grow it.. I have had a lot of luck this year with growing a lot of his lettuces and veggies.. Keep asking questions, everyone on the forum is awesome about helping us newbies.. Good luck again...

Status
Not open for further replies.