I need some help with indoor substrate.

Jeffrey Dunlap

Hello everyone! We have a 5 year old sulcata that we just brought in for the winter. We live in Missouri and have TERRIBLE weather. I made a large place for him to spend the winter in the loft of our sons room. I put peat down as a substrate, but that stuff just turns to dust and covers the entire room in a brown film. Is there a better alternative that I could use, or something I could mix with it??

Thanks for the help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeffrey, and welcome to the Forum!

You need to water proof the habitat, then wet the peat. Most of the folk on here use coco coir, but it has to be wet down too. My substrate of choice is fine grade orchid bark, and I wet it too.

Sulcatas come from a more humid environment than what you have in mind. They live in the grasslands and forests, which wouldn't be able to survive without water...not in the dry desert like we've all been brain-washed into thinking.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use peat moss myself. I keep it damp. If the top layer starts getting too dusty I just mix the substrate all around with my hands.

Jeffrey Dunlap

Thanks!!!! i appreciate it. I would actually like to make an outside box so he can stay out of the house. He seems pissed now that we brought him inside.

I am nervous about the super cold and snowy nights we get here in MO...does anyone else live in a place that has this kind of weather and can keep them outside?

I have a super cool neighbor who can build anything we need, so if there is something you think might work for outside, please let me know!

thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also prefer the orchid bark. Damp is good, but you must also keep the whole room warm. Your son's entire room should be too small for a five year old sulcata. How big is he? How big is the enclosure?