I need some help regarding a few different things

Colinpv

Location (City and/or State)
peeples valley, Arizona
Hi my names colin and i live in rural Arizona. i recently adopted two box turtles and a desert tortoise (i have no clue what kind they are, all i know is someone said my tortoise looks like a sonoran), anyways, he has black around his mouth and it wont go away and im thinking the worst i think, but i was hoping on getting some info. he eats VERY well, alot of different veggies regularly and timothy hay on the side. He's very happy and eats like a horse, so i dont think anything is wrong, i just need some reassurance, especially because im leaving town for a week and i dont want anything to happen while im gone. then on to my box turtles (hoping its ok to post about that here, sorry if not), i have no idea what kind they are, only that they were mistreated and lived in cedar chippings for like a year or two. one of them was attacked by a dog after being missing for two days, she only had a small puncture on her shell. i was not around nor did i own these turtles when this happened, that would never happen in my care by the way. anyways, the puncture is just a small hole, which seems to be healing nicely with just a bandage and some neosporin every now and then,but i was hoping someone might be able to give me a little insight. also, she has two wounds on either side of her mouth, and im almost certain its mouth rot. my friendly petco worker told me he uses peroxide and neosporin, so i put some on around her mouth (making sure not to get it in her mouth) and it seems to be healing. i just woke up, but i can almost bet it looks even better now. i can also post pictures after work due to the fact i have to leave, just wanted to get it going first. they are all very happy,love some chin rubs and their mealworms, and they eat a decent amount of their veggies and when i can find them (rural area) they love their berries. same with my desert tortoise lazarus, he is always active and always eats every last bit of food, and enjoys sitting in his water dish every now and then.. he likes to sleep under his heat lamp after making himself a little bed in his cypress chips. he's acting pretty normal from what i can tell, but im just a worried father! i recently spent just about $1000 dollars getting their new homes set up, uvb,heat,tanks,chips,houses, and a room heater (it gets in the 20's here) and im trying my best, but im new to this and they were all previously mistreated and not in the best shape. they are doing extremely well compared to when i got them, and they love me as much as i love them i would say (im not crazy they know my voice lol) but i need some reassurance, or some info on a good, affordable vet that can take a look at them, hopefully one who would accept monthly payments until they are paid off, or anything along those lines... i dont have any extra money, and i have to go to school this week for my fire department and i wont have any work (landscaping) so i wont really have any money..... and i dont really trust the only local vet with reptiles. so, if any of you can give me a hand i would really appreciate it. i can post pictures tonight. i live in Peeples Valley, AZ
also, because i love this website soo sooo much, me and my girlfriend are going to do what we can to offer some donations next time we get paid. so thanks for being here and so helpful. for the past few months this website is my go to for all my turtle needs <3

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Colin
IMG_2187.jpg
PS
If you live in AZ . Why not keep these torts outside ? That’s more space and where they come from . Just asking .

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
Hi Colin
View attachment 232543
PS
If you live in AZ . Why not keep these torts outside ? That’s more space and where they come from . Just asking .
thank you!!! good to see another arizona resident! and also, right now during winter its extremely cold up here, its been in the 30's at 2 in the afternoon since december. and also, they are very young and i keep a eye on them this way. right now they are living the dream in their 50 gallon tanks. We also have a herd of about 50 javelina whom roam the streets all night, and im terrified what could happen if they get in my yard.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Welcome! I'd like to see pictures of your torts! It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of them. The black on the desert tortoise's mouth might just be staining from food.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That’s a sulcata, not a desert tortoise. It seems to be in very bad shape. They don’t hibernate, and they get to be 200 pounds.
Give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a bad shell on such a young tort. Looks like you’ve got some work cut out for you.

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
And this is my baby girl who got attacked by the dog, and who I'm afraid has mouth rot

Attachments

• 20180308_230826.jpg
    20180308_230826.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180308_230928.jpg
    20180308_230928.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180308_230934.jpg
    20180308_230934.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180308_231034.jpg
    20180308_231034.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180308_231118.jpg
    20180308_231118.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 43

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
That’s a sulcata, not a desert tortoise. It seems to be in very bad shape. They don’t hibernate, and they get to be 200 pounds.
Give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a bad shell on such a young tort. Looks like you’ve got some work cut out for you.
i dont even know where to begin.... all the money i had to make a proper habitat was put into it, thinking i had a desert tortoise.... nobody would help me. so if they dont hibernate.... did i just keep him from dying? because i didnt have heat lamps, and i assumed he was hibernating.... im so lost and heart broken :/

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
Give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
i cant afford to even build him what he needs..... omg </3

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i dont even know where to begin.... all the money i had to make a proper habitat was put into it, thinking i had a desert tortoise.... nobody would help me. so if they dont hibernate.... did i just keep him from dying? because i didnt have heat lamps, and i assumed he was hibernating.... im so lost and heart broken :/

Wait, I’m confused. Is he still alive? If so, you need to get him 80 degrees and above ASAP. How long have you been “hibernating” him?

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
Wait, I’m confused. Is he still alive? If so, you need to get him 80 degrees and above ASAP. How long have you been “hibernating” him?
yes he is still alive, i took that picture about five minutes before posting.... i never let him hibernate, about 2 months ago he started to act weird and burrowed in the cypress chips and i thought he was going into hibernation, and thats when i learned about proper lighting. Hes very much alive, active, and eats alot. its always at least 80 at all times in the "turtle room" i have. ill post a picture right now of the set up i have.... everything i bought was under the assumption that he was a desert tortoise though.

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
A night heat lamp that's infrared, a day heat lamp, and a uvb that said desert lighting on the box.... cypress chips, 50 gallon tank, Timothy hay on a cloth...half hide thingy, and a water dish that I'm upgrading for a bigger size soon.

Attachments

• 15205775867362006139720.jpg
    15205775867362006139720.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 1520577599041818491766.jpg
    1520577599041818491766.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 1520577627196723312528.jpg
    1520577627196723312528.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Colinpv

peeples valley, Arizona
Welcome! I'd like to see pictures of your torts! It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of them. The black on the desert tortoise's mouth might just be staining from food.
sorry for the delay, work was long... just posted pics and i guess my desert tortoise, is in fact not a desert tortoise.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sadly, that wouldn’t be good for any tortoise.
First, give those links a read, and they should answer most of your questions about your enclosure. Then, come back with questions.