I need some advice...

Melissa N

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello all.

I could use some advice. We have two Indian Star tortoises. They are both 2 years old and we have had them since they were hatchlings. My husband and I bought them as a birthday gift for my son's 13th birthday (although my husband and I have always been the ones to take care of them).

Tragically and unexpectedly our son, Aidan, passed away the week before Christmas. We have been going through a very hard time lately. We have a lot of expenses right now and a lot of stress. My husband suggested to simplify our lives and help pay for our son's headstone, that we sell the Nova and Stella (the tortoises).

I never thought we'd sell them. We had planned on Aidan taking them with him sometime after he graduated high school. I have no idea how much to sell them for. Or for that matter, HOW to sell them. They are both very healthy and have been well cared for. They have been soaked at least 5+ days a week their entire lives. We feed them a variety of mixed greens, Mazuri (with calcium added), and occasionally dandelions and cactus pads.

It is with a very heavy heart that we sell them. Any advise would be very helpful. I'd love to see them go to someone that would love them and take care of them.

Thanks,
Melissa

Bambam1989

East Texas
I am so sorry for your loss.
We have a for sale section here on the forum.
Post a picture of your torts, as well as how much you are asking. It will also be helpful to say whether or not your willing to ship them.
Beware of new members that have no posting history, they could be traders.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry for that painful loss, and wish you all the best.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I just can't imagine. Yes, please post in our for sale section. There is also a site called faunaclassified.com where reptiles of all kind are sold. You can even search there for pricing.
Usually the buyer pays for shipping. You can contact https://shipyourreptiles.com/ for help in the shipping process and supplies thru them.
Good luck and again so very sorry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A quick search and I found some sub adults for $495.00 each.
Another person had hatchlings for $450.00. Hope this helps you out.

Melissa N

Pittsburgh, PA
OMG, I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I just can't imagine. Yes, please post in our for sale section. There is also a site called faunaclassified.com where reptiles of all kind are sold. You can even search there for pricing.
Usually the buyer pays for shipping. You can contact https://shipyourreptiles.com/ for help in the shipping process and supplies thru them.
Good luck and again so very sorry.

Thank you. I'm a little nervous about shipping them. I'll check out that website.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. I'm a little nervous about shipping them. I'll check out that website.
I understand. I haven't had too ship any yet, but will be when it warms up and it's scary. That shipping site has great reviews to walking you thru it. There's many on here that could help with any questions too. Hopefully someone not too far from you will be interested. Maybe even trying to meet them half way can sometimes keep them from having to be shipped. Good luck.