I need help with sexing my tortoise

Mandi

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
We have a Sulcata he/she is around a year old. An we are wondering,if it's a boy or a girl. Can anyone help us with this,please?

unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (8).jpg

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I find that most babies look female, they can look female all the way up to 16 inches than bam its a boy. You can make good guesses when they are 10 inches.

Mandi

Alabama
He or she is around 9 inches or so now. Don't have the age pin pointed really. We got it at a pet store.

Mandi

Alabama
I honestly maybe off on that. It's hard to get him/her to stay still for very long. But thanks for the help thou. I do have one more question. It's about the shell color. When we got him/her the shell was very light like a cream color. In the months since then it's a lot darker. What color should it be, we are new to rising a Sulcata.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
I honestly maybe off on that. It's hard to get him/her to stay still for very long. But thanks for the help thou. I do have one more question. It's about the shell color. When we got him/her the shell was very light like a cream color. In the months since then it's a lot darker. What color should it be, we are new to rising a Sulcata.
his color right now is perfectly normal. he might get yellow or stay brown.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
That would be awesome if the tortoise was nine inches. That would make your hand, like, fourteen inches from wrist to fingertips.

T.G.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mandi, and welcome to the Forum!

You're going to have to wait a couple years before your baby is big enough for anyone to guess its sex. In the mean time, please read the care sheet that's pinned at the top of our Sulcata section.

Mandi

Alabama
Ok like I said I'm new to this. But I have learned some,between the two tortoise forums.So thank you for your help everyone.

Mandi

Alabama
That would be awesome if the tortoise was nine inches. That would make your hand, like, fourteen inches from wrist to fingertips.

T.G.
Well thank you for your unnecessary comment.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Mandi: Welcome to the forum and good to have you here. This is a great place to learn and share.

Mandi

Alabama
Well seeing as to the fact I have already,said I was wrong. There was no need to go on about it.So yea it was unnecessary. But, again my questions have been answered so thanks.