I need help with my Pyramiding Hermann !!

Fe-2470

I own a 6yr old female hermann's tortoise who has just come out of hibernation. right from when we got he she has had a medium level of pyramiding but i have noticed it has recently got worse.

I really need some advice on diet and general lifestyle tips which will reduce her pyramiding or at least so it poses no health risks. Hopefully this summer when she can be put outside (weather permitting) and the ideal weeds will start to grow I can control it.

I hope someone can help and put my mind at ease !! ?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Hi! So pyramiding is mostly due to being raised in a dry environment. All tortoises need humidity when they are babies. By the time they are 6 years old most of the damage is done. But you can certainly help keep her healthy by soaking her regularly, feeding her well and providing calcium and uvb light.

I’m trying to attach some care sheets for you but for some reason I can’t copy and paste them. So go to the species specific area of the forum and you’ll see a caresheet for Hermans tortoises. Also look under the heading for diet and you’ll find a sticky note with good food ideas.

If you attach a photo of your tort and her setup we can give you more advice. There might be other improvements that can be made and photos are a good way to spot them.

Fe-2470

Hi! So pyramiding is mostly due to being raised in a dry environment. All tortoises need humidity when they are babies. By the time they are 6 years old most of the damage is done. But you can certainly help keep her healthy by soaking her regularly, feeding her well and providing calcium and uvb light.

I’m trying to attach some care sheets for you but for some reason I can’t copy and paste them. So go to the species specific area of the forum and you’ll see a caresheet for Hermans tortoises. Also look under the heading for diet and you’ll find a sticky note with good food ideas.

If you attach a photo of your tort and her setup we can give you more advice. There might be other improvements that can be made and photos are a good way to spot them.

Hello!
Thanks, this has been very helpful. I am trying to up the humidity of her enclosure through regular misting, daily soaks and i will start paying closer attention to her diet.

ill' be sure to check out that care sheet !
Thanks again.