I need help ! (tortoise died???)

Little.one_

I'm 16 . I'm new to owing reptiles . I got a sulcata tortoise and his name is Tatum .. I got him in March as a baby in not exactly sure how old but I'd say about 1 year by now. I never bought him one of those basking lamps or even let him outside, he only has a heat lamp .. I live in apartments and don't have much money .. As of August he stop being so active and stopped eating and sleeps all the time .. He was eating only lettuce and well he hasn't ate since August .. Sometimes I force feed him just to get him fed but that's rarely .. I bathe him about once a week and only then he opens his eyes.. he was in a box for a while and about last week he got a 10 gallon tank and I keep it at about 88° and he does have shade that he can move to... I started giving him Fluker's Liquid Vitamin yesterday cuz I read that it helps a lot and well today I took him outside in a box and left him from about 9am to 3pm and when I brought him in his eyes were open sunken .. He doesn't react to me touching him .. He won't come out of his shell .. I put him in water and under his heat lamp but he still hasn't moved .. Did he die ? Ive done everything I've read including making banana shakes for him and straw feeding him and bathing him in carrot baby food . I understand I'm not the best care giver but I love my baby and I'm not looking for a lecture .. I just want help and answers

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Sorry but I'm pretty sure he's gone. If you ever decide to get another one please come here to educate yourself and get him set up correctly as to avoid this.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If only you'd found the forum sooner - it doesn't sound at all good I'm afraid, but don't give up on him yet there has been an amazing story about a tort that was thought to have died but revived before it was buried. Keep him warm and give him longer to see if he responds. If there is any sign of life you need to get your tort to a good vet asap and if he survives then start to provide the correct care he should have had all along.

It will be difficult for anyone to give you answers without it sounding like a lecture because I feel very sad for your baby. All I would suggest you do is look at the sulcata caresheet under Species Specific and you will see for yourself how babies should be cared for, then answer your own questions as to what's gone wrong.

Little.one_

If only you'd found the forum sooner - it doesn't sound at all good I'm afraid, but don't give up on him yet there has been an amazing story about a tort that was thought to have died but revived before it was buried. Keep him warm and give him longer to see if he responds. If there is any sign of life you need to get your tort to a good vet asap and if he survives then start to provide the correct care he should have had all along.

It will be difficult for anyone to give you answers without it sounding like a lecture because I feel very sad for your baby. All I would suggest you do is look at the sulcata caresheet under Species Specific and you will see for yourself how babies should be cared for, then answer your own questions as to what's gone wrong.
Thanks you giving me hope .. I greatly appreciate it

Little.one_

Well I knew I should have taken him to a vet but I couldn't find any herp vets near me ( Azusa - Sgv Area ) and I don't even have the money to have attempted to take him

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks you giving me hope .. I greatly appreciate it
I don't want to give you false hope because it is sounding bad but I wouldn't want you to bury him if there is the slightest chance he is still alive. Any vet will do in this circumstance even if just to confirm the worst or to find a sign of life - but you have to give it a chance.

When you take on pets you make a commitment to care for them and you have to be prepared to accept everything that goes with it, even financially, so please do the right thing and find a vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to read this thread. Please don't take this as a lecture, I just want you to have some facts if you ever decide to get another baby tortoise.

A baby tortoise isn't like a puppy or kitten. You can't just buy it and bring it home and keep it in a box. They have very specific requirements and if those are not met, they die. To give you an idea of what you will need next time, BEFORE you get the tortoise, read this care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

There are all kinds of supplies you need to have set up before you ever get the tortoise (lights, large habitat, substrate, hiding place, waterer, feeding tile, etc.)

You've done the right thing in coming to the Forum. So now you educate yourself on how to care for a baby tortoise, and the next one you get will be with you for a very long time.