I need help figuring this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
I have made a new tort table out of a bookshelf. It is about 3x4. She so far seems to really like it. I have cypress mulch and spag moss in there. A 100 watt emitter over her house side and it was a bulb I had but I think its a 100 watt mvb over the other side. I have some greens that are growing in the corner and a water dish. The thing is...the temps I feel should be alot warmer. I have the temp in my house at 70. Her enclosure reads mid 70s to high 70s. Even with the emitter on. I lowered the emitter and now its mid 80s. Should I get 2 emitters? Also I'm frustrated with humidity...I spray it several times a day and soak the moss in the hide but the gage is still reading 30%. The substrate feels damp by feel so I don't know. Please help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If I'm remembering correctly, you have a redfoot. That's not nearly enough humidity for your redfoot. Pour a whole pitcher full of water over the substrate and mix it up with your hand. Then you can partially cover the habitat. You don't need anything fancy, a scrap of plywood or some aluminum foil, whatever you can find.

While the tort table is great and has lots of room, they can be somewhat hard to heat. You may need to go with two emitters.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the reason why I recommend against tortoise tables for most species. I find it very difficult to maintain the correct environment in them. Is it possible to add a top of some sort and make it a closed chamber?

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
Yes, do have the redfoot. I tried to upload pictures but for some reason it won't let me from my phone. I put a shelf that would have been in the shelf on top to partially cover it. I don't know if will be enough coverage but I'll try it. And I think maybe another emitter will help. Now by pouring water in there can it be to wet? Just wondering about shell rot from sitting in the wet? Thanks for all the help!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You can add a lot of water to substrate to keep is moist, especially in certain areas of the enclosure. As long as the substrate is quite moist, but not floating away, that will be fine. Misting is ok as a supplement, but try pouring some water in and mixing up too.
Eventually how about adding a sheet of Perspex/Plexiglass to part of it (perhaps in the middle of your fixtures?). Some have the skill to cut holes for the fixtures, I know I would not be able to. However, one large piece with some smaller ones here and there. A tort table might work, since that is what you have, with most of the roof covered. Or some wire with plastic wrap on top (again, safely away from fixtures).
You could add a humid box: overturned opaque plastic container with a doorway cut and zip tie a sponge to the roof that you keep moistened. PUt extra Spag Moss in there.

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
I have poured warm water in for the last couple days and mixed it up to make sure it was all wet. And have a board across the middle of the enclosure. However its still only at about 40-50% humidity according to the gage. How can this be? If I make it any wetter it will be floating. Maybe covering more of the enclosure? Or any thoughts on a warm mist humidifier or vaporizer? Would this help? If so, which one is better? Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Your gauge may not be very accurate, many of them are not. The round ones are not very accurate.
What kind do you have? Might be wise to confirm this before you go to too much more effort.
You may be doing better than you think.

Plus look at the thread 'Redfoot Enclosure Questions?' that is active right now. It is easier to locate if you go to the Enclosure section of the forum. Keep scrolling down.

Ivyboo

5 Year Member
I do have one of the cheap round ones. I did notice though they have digital and can get a little pricey. Is there one you suggest that you know that is more accurate? Thank you for all your help! Once I get this under control I'll be good to go. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK- open tortoise tables are not usually the best choice for Red-foots, or quite honestly, for many other species in places where the rooms tend to be cool and dry.

To get the best possible habitat in there for the tortoise, without spending a lot of money, make a simple framework (cheapo wood pieces, PVC piping, whatever) over the table and drape it with waterproof material. Clear shower curtains, blue plastic tarps, clear vinyl from the fabric or hardware store, etc. You can save yourself a lot of heating money if you use rigid foam insulation panels from Home Depot, etc. on the places you cannot see so easily, like the sides and on the top. You can connect the panels with just plain duck tape if you want.

Make the tent or insulating box big enough to keep your lighting and heating stuff inside it, and try to seal it pretty good. A simple rectangular box would be the easiest to build, but an 'A-frame' 'tent' or box would take less energy to heat and humidify.

Once the box is built and and things stabilize, you can re-evaluate what else you may need to do to offer the right heating or humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful. I don't keep redfoots, but I do know from other keepers that shell rot can be a concern in constant wet conditions. Lynne is right about those stick-on round gauges, but you gotta figure that your room humidity in a closed, heated house in winter is going to be very low anywhere in the country. With an open top there is just nothing to hold in the water that evaporates from your substrate. The heating devices that are necessary for your tortoise just cause the warmer wetter air to rise up and out even faster.

Here is the temp/humidity gauge that I use. I find them to be pretty reliable most of the time.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Wireless-Remote-Thermometer#axzz1hmngW1A9

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Get the humidity gauge that Tom recommends. That is a great brand. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry these.
Until then, you can even cheaply make a humid box as mentioned earlier so your tort has more options.
Then, once you accurately test the humidity, you can go from there. (If you have to make a top, PVC is very easy to work with, and light so you can move it on or off).

Status
Not open for further replies.