I need help determining appx. age

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
How old would a cherry head approximately be if it's 3.5" in carapace length? I know there's no exact answer..

I got my tortoise July 21st of last year from Petsmart. Normally, I wouldn't get my animals from pet stores.. but s/he was going to be euthanized so I brought it home. S/he was apparently at the store in a sick room for six months. S/he lived in a 5 gallon tank, with soaking wet soil, no heat source or uvb source. S/he had shell rot and fungus. The only left to do was injections and the store did not want to. They only offered kale and it apparently never ate the entire time there. There have been a lot of factors in "her" life that may have stunted her. Some have told me she's over a year and a half.. she only weighs 80 grams. I got her when she was 40 grams. I am worried as others on this forum have babies who weigh as much as "her".

She is fed twice to three times a day, gets soaked three times a day (as well as misting her shell), her enclosure is misted three to four times a day.. she has a closed chamber which sits no lower then 85% humidity. I feel she is doing well but why is she so small? And will she always be on the smaller side? I'm sorry for asking but I'm panicking. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Randi

Canada
Oh, lighting - she has a t5 HO Aquatic Life for UVB and a 100 watt heat emitter. Her basking spot is 98F, her cool side is 87F. Her tank never falls below 80F at night.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm somewhat amazed that you have managed to double the weight of a tortoise that was on deaths door in a mere 8 months.

I think you should expect slower growth from a tortoise that was malnourished by the pet store for much of its life. I'll leave it to the redfoot experts to tell you more about what to expect in the future; but I think you're got the tortoise on the road back to health. Can your tort overcome the earlier problems remains to be seen.

Congratulations on a great save.

Randi

Canada
I moved her onto cypress mulch with a top layer of Eco Earth coco coir that's two inches thick. In total her substrate is about 5 inches tall.

I had been tipped off to this torts condition by someone I know that worked there at the time. I had ordered Chlorhexidine online prior to getting her because I couldn't attain it here without a prescription. I got a small thing of Betadine also. I got a jar of 1% Clotrimazole cream to put on after scrubs. It took three weeks for her to be completely clear on her plastron. I did not want to have to do injections if I could avoid it. The vet is stressful. She was already stressed out with all the scrubs and putting cream on and sitting in a warm container til dry..

Then she almost drowned in her water dish when she flipped upside down in it so I rushed her to a vet and got her on antibiotics. She lost 4 grams that day. She panicked and pooped and then was inhaling it. I came home from work to find her a pale white colour in her dish with her head submerged. I thought she was dead. It's been quite the journey. I have tried my best to give her a loving and caring home. I am just worried that she's exceptionally small for the age I've been told.

And thank you for the inspiration and kind words. I am really hoping we are on the right track. Maybe all she needs is more time to fill out.

1407168053315.jpg 1408027394107.jpg 1412701793560.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would agree with the slower grow due to her bad start. I would also bet you have one of those tortoise water bowls with the built in ramp that the pet stores sells? If you do, change it out for a clay saucer, like what is put under flower pots. They are low sides, and too shallow for I believe any tortoise to drown in and they can get in and out of it easy, burry it level with the substrate. Looks like you did a great job, congrats and good luck

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Good job, saving a life. I don't think she is a year and a half, was the tort really in the back for 6 months? Can that be confirmed? The reason I ask is that the shell growth is not badly pyramided or deformed in any way. For a little one to be exposed to such bad conditions for so long, would have died long ago. The babies tend to be way more sensitive to their environment, temps humidity, etc., and by the time they start showing signs it is a rapid decline.

Randi

Canada
I asked if they had paper work to confirm when she was brought to the store and paper work to confirm her time in the back. I also asked if the breeder or vendor had provided a birth date. The only thing the store could provide were care logs detailing the stores daily care for her and they dated back to December of 2013. I couldn't have a copy. I was only allowed to view it quickly before adopting her out.

When I brought her home in July, I noticed an indent in her plastron that looked like the place where the yolk is absorbed. It made me think that she can't possibly be as old as they were saying. She also had an indent near her head on her carapace that I have seen on pictures of hatchlings. When I brought her home, her carapace and plastron were soft and seemed flexible.

The first night she was home, she ate continuously for four hours. She seemed starved. I fed her three to four times a day when I brought her home. It took about a month or more to see stable increases in weight without it fluctuating.

I can't be sure of any of her care prior to me. Some things just aren't adding up.

Oh and wellington, I don't use those reptile ramp dishes. I have a low saucer and added a few flat stones to it. It has always been level with the substrate. I haven't had any issues since.

Thank you for the well wishes.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it was kept as you say its growth is going to be slow . If you have the cash take it to a good vet to have it checked for stones . If not just make sure its hydrated . Feed weeds, worms, fish, mazuri, and some fruits . As long as you have your temperature, humidity, food, and hydration right it should grow . If it is warm out build it a small outdoor enclosure . This seems to help get them over the hump .

Randi

Canada
She went to a vet visit and the vet had cleared her for her shell rot and fungus. She just has a little bit of scarring on her plastron. It is almost gone.

She eats well. When I feed, it's a mixture or about ten to fifteen different greens (red leaf & green leaf lettuce, endive and escarole, belgium endive, radicchio, romaine, kale, chard, a little parsley, cilantro, and dill, etc. She also has wheat grass, timothy grass, dandelion, chia, and a grazing mix that I add into it. She eats some flowers. On top of that I use a herbal salad mix, oputunia powder and rose of sharon powder. She gets calcium and minerals twice a week sprinkled on her food. She will soon have mache, and a few others I'm working on.

I am limited to what I can grow as I still have a foot and a half of snow outside. We have lots of flower beds with safe plants already and this year we are building her outdoor enclosure so on nice days she can be outside. Hopefully we get three good months of weather for summer. She will be brought in at night. I don't trust people in my area to leave her be and not steal her (especially if they know shes there) if she's there and we have lots of wild animals around. I have about 14 or more magpies that live in a tree in my neighbours yard. We had a hawk in the alley a few months ago. And there are too many stray cats around. The outdoor enclosure will be enclosed and locked so she is safe when outside.

Randi

Canada
I forgot to mention fruit and protein! For protein - She has mushrooms cut up into her food. I have done this a few times and she loves it. I have been using cat food every two weeks. It lasts about two to three days. I tried tuna and she walked away. She loved hard boiled egg yolk but I found out that I'm allergic to eggs so I avoid. For fruit she gets that twice a week. Watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, apple, mangos, pineapple, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, etc. She likes it all. She also really loves oputunia pads when I get them.

I bought that Crane tear drop humidifier today and her tank is at 99% humidity. She sat in the fog and ate like a little piggy! I am really happy. I think she is too. Thanks you all for the tips. Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it. It makes me feel a little better, like I'm doing some things right. I always want her to be healthy and happy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mushroom for protein isn't a great choice. Although harmless, mushrooms don't have as much protein as you might think. The cat food is better for that purpose and technically, babies should be given less fruit....But to be honest, my baby loves it so much that I also over do it a little.
Mine prefer a temp of around 80-85 degrees.
Sounds like you're doing very well, actually.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
You have done amazing with your little tort ! He looks really good
considering all hes been thru. He is lucky to have you !

Randi

Canada
I took a picture of Karumbe today. Really doesn't like pictures and much attention so s/he kept backing up. S/he is doing well with this humidifier. The skin on her head and arms seems more smooth and appears to be more red, not a dry white. I have also limited fruit to once a week. I second guess myself a lot so I appreciate all the replies. Thank you for all the advice and support. :tort::<3:
2015-03-30_19.52.38.jpg

Last edited:

Turtlepete

South Florida
The malnourishment at a young age and health issues will likely slow growth for years to come. I've seen this in other chelonia. However, it won't affect the potential size they will reach, only the time frame they will reach it. It's impossible to accurately guess the tortoises ages at this point. Growth rate varies vastly between animals even raised in the same conditions. When you add the variable of malnourishment and stunted growth then it's very difficult to say. No matter though, just keep taking good care of him/her :).