I need help, cheap closed chamber build

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Ok, so I have my Leo's in their giant plastic tub enclosure but I feel like it's getting too small at the rate they are growing.
We have some ugly medical bills at the moment so my ability to spend a lot of money on a larger enclosure isn't an option at the moment. I could however, save a little to make an closed chamber a bit better. I really don't have builders skills but I am extremely quick to learn as I go so that's super helpful. I have a ton of room in my home for a larger enclosure but I may need to keep it closed, as I'm not confident in my keeping just yet to have an open enclosure with a just a humid hide. BUT, I am open to ideas. I love the idea of a large L shaped enclosure, not sure I have the funds for such an endeavor though, because I'll also need to but some tools for this job.
I currently have a 54 gallon Rubbermaid with a plexiglas top. I want them to have more room when they are indoors though.
I know there are lots of thread of builds but search is not working on mobile.
What can I do to keep the right conditions with a new and economic build?

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Could you connect two Rubbermaid totes to make one larger enclosure. It might work for a while, giving you time to acquire the materials and tools to make a more permanent enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Make a table type enclosure, as large as you want and then make a 'tent' out of pvc and plastic to close it in. There's a picture of Tyler's setup in one of Tom's threads, let me go find it. I believe Yvonne has something similar with foil but I can't recall where the pictures are.

k9hm5z.jpg

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
You can always do what I did and add an "addition" on to my sulcatas' existing enclosures:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395609010.143612.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395609155.992868.jpg

I took a butter knife, heated it over my gas stove, then used that to cut holes in each tub to stick the PVC connector pipe into. I moved each humid hide into the new respective enclosures because I don't really have the room for another heat lamp, so I kept everything else in the original enclosure and have their CHEs in the new ones. (I have paper taped up on the sides so they can't see out)

Hope this helps [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] and I am all for do-it-yourself projects! I'm more than happy to get my hands dirty and put in some elbow grease to save some money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
So I could potentially buy another 54 gallon tub, connect with large PVC pipe, and instead of another plexiglass too, use the lid it comes with right? And get one or two more dome for light and heat. I think this is going to absolutely require that I buy an ultrasonic humidifier lol. I bet this would work though, while I save up a little money to do a better build.
That is going to mean I will have to move them from my kitchen. It's quite convenient to have their enclosure in my kitchen because it's tile and when I make messes, it's easy to clean up haha.

None the less, ideas are still more than welcome!!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes, you can connect a second tote and use it with the lid. Here is how my tote/ closed chamber looks..

Attachments

• 1395610242496.jpg
    1395610242496.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 1395610259174.jpg
    1395610259174.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 110

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Aha! Another idea. I get get another package of those puzzle piece like foam floor mats like I have under my dogs' kennel and put it in a carpeted area like my bedroom to help with any mess I may make. I spill water when cleaning out the water dish or substrate falls from the dishes as I walk them to the sink. That is the sort of mess I'm referring to. I have eggshell colored carpet, that I hate because I have sort of a carpet OCD. The carpet has to be free of stains. It's drive me batty when life happens to the carpet. I can't wait to rip it out and put in hard floors. Hehe

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I like the idea of connecting two tubs. But instead if PVC, I'm using blue electrical boxes. I dont like how the pipe is round, so I went square. I wanted the bottom flat where the tortoise walked instead of rounded on the edges from the pipe. They have some that can sit in each other. We cut the backs out so it's an open tunnel and connected two tubs. It's a little more expensive and time consuming than PVC, but I still spent less than $8 for the boxes.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If you are ever up in the Dallas area and have a truck I work in a warehouse that has a TON of old crates and pallets that can be usd for any number of things. I have even salvaged plexi-glass and metal screens. It is a tortoise lovers gold mine in here some days.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
You could buy two kiddie pools (5foot or so) and cut a hole in one for the heat lamp to hang through and flip one upside down on the other creating a closed chamber. When its time to feed or clean you simply lift the top(upsidedown) kidde pool off of the other. Probably would cost you 40-60 bucks total depending on the quality and size of the kiddy pools used.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395688991.210123.jpg
A quick sketch of what I'm trying to describe

Last edited by a moderator: