I need an answer

RussianTortoise219

Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm planning on getting a pet Russian Tortoise however I can't find if it's legal to keep as a pet in California I can't find anything saying it's legal Please Help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, one can legally keep Russian tortoises in California. I'm in Clovis, CA and I have four of them.

The only thing illegal about keeping them would be releasing them into the wild. This is illegal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just keep cleanliness in mind at all times, hand washing after handling tort, keep tort away from your face, maybe don't let him wander round your house (which he shouldn't anyway because of all the dangers for him) sterilizing of plates and dishes he uses (chemicals can be harmful to your tort - I have always used use very hot water and a steam cleaner in his tort room).

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Like Yvonne said, it is legal to keep, just illegal to release. I live in San Francisco C.A and have a russian tort so you'll have no problem with one being illegal. As for the salmonella part, when I got my tortoise and took him to the vet for the first time ( you should do that right after you adopt any reptile or animal), the vet prescribed him with a salmonella antibiotic just in case. I cant remember what it was called since it was so many years ago, but I do remember syringe feeding him the oral medication once or twice daily. My point is, if you adopt a tort, talk to your vet about getting a salmonella antibiotic. Your best bet in getting one is if you go to a vet who works with reptiles. I'll try and look online to see if I can find the name of it but for now that's all i remember off the top of my head. Russian torts are great and have such big personalities. Enjoy and congrats! He/she will be your buddy for a very long time :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Regarding contracting Salmonella from your possible new Russian tortoise, we have a few thousand TFO members here & thousands of turtles and torts. I really don’t recall anyone ever getting on here saying they contracted Salmonella. I THINK this whole Salmonella issue came when 5 & 10 cent stores sold cheap little green sliders for kids. Parents would purchase for their kinds who often picked up the turtle then licked their hands....not a good habit.

If you practice normal hygiene - wash your hands & keep ur tortoise & pen & water bowls clean, you shouldnt have any problems.

➡️➡️ http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/vetscorner/salmonella

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you so much
sorry if this is a bit of a bother but how do prevent getting salmonella from my tortoise
You've got more of a chance of getting salmonella from the Romaine lettuce in your salad than you do from your tort.

RussianTortoise219

California
Like Yvonne said, it is legal to keep, just illegal to release. I live in San Francisco C.A and have a russian tort so you'll have no problem with one being illegal. As for the salmonella part, when I got my tortoise and took him to the vet for the first time ( you should do that right after you adopt any reptile or animal), the vet prescribed him with a salmonella antibiotic just in case. I cant remember what it was called since it was so many years ago, but I do remember syringe feeding him the oral medication once or twice daily. My point is, if you adopt a tort, talk to your vet about getting a salmonella antibiotic. Your best bet in getting one is if you go to a vet who works with reptiles. I'll try and look online to see if I can find the name of it but for now that's all i remember off the top of my head. Russian torts are great and have such big personalities. Enjoy and congrats! He/she will be your buddy for a very long time :)

Thanks for the help all of this is very helpful ?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Here‘s our care sheet for rts. Be prepared to have a little monster in your home ?.