I need a shopping list from the pros PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
I finally got a baby Leopard tortoise and I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!! I currently have him/her in a temporary enclosure, I've been snooping around some of y'alls pictures of beautiful creative enclosures, I loved almost all of them but I finally picked one that I like and of course my awesome husband is almost done making it for me but while I was snooping, I realized that at the reptile show where I got him/her I was apparently given not so good advise because the more I read what you guys have to say, the more I think that they must just breed them and quickly sell them bc they don't seem to know much about hatchlings and since I really want to do this right I'm asking you all to please make me a shopping list of what I have to get. This what I have but I wont use it if it's not ok for my still un-named little tort.

*Coil UVB light <--I was told it was just as good as the expensive ones
*Heat lamp
*Heating mat (That sticks to the outside bottom of the enclosure)
*Digital Thermometer/Hydrometer
*Cactus plants, aloe plants and seeds to grow a variety of plants/weeds for tortoises
*Timothy hay
*Reptile bark bedding
*Peat moss
*Basking light
*Regular metal light hoods from home depot
*Mazuri
*Shallow terra-catta bowls for food and water
*The cutest Leopard tortoise in the entire world
*Tons of determination to raise a healthy well behaved tort.
addie

IT'S ALMOST DONE!!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375205397.314171.jpg
It's a version of this one :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375205421.074599.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would ditch the coil bulb and heat mat. Get a powersun or a reptisun 10% strip UVB and a CHE. Also, your enclosure looks small, so be prepared to upgrade soon. If you could create a lid somehow it will also help keep in humidity and heat. The rest on your list looks good.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Penn

5 Year Member
Hey that's my enclosure! I'm blushing [KISSING FACE WITH CLOSED EYES][KISSING FACE WITH CLOSED EYES][KISSING FACE WITH CLOSED EYES]

Just to let you know I've added a plexiglass top to keep it humid for my Sulcata. I had to ditch the plants because they stood too tall. Also waterproof the wood, it got ugly in there quick. Just heads up.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

These are what I use for all my babies. Depending on species most set ups are the same.
The forstens are on mulch sphagnum mix,
Egyptians are on decomposed granite,
Leopards, And Sulcatas are on coco and mulch mix.
The leopards and sulcatas have the fogger. I run it on low all day(for the leos,reds, and sulcatas) they love it. It provides good humidity. Small water dish, I fill only an 1/8" or so no mishaps happen. Hides are provided, food plate. UV lights are tube 8.0-10.0 depending on species. I do use the heat mats to keep constant warmth of the substrate. Only at night though. During the day the ambient temperatures are high 80s-mid 90s. Its pretty hard keeping an open top enclosure constant ambient humidity and warmth. It is doable for sure. One thing to keep up, is the hide. Keep that humid and very warm and you shouldn't have an issue. I would also provide a MVB for basking in the open part of the table.

On the light dome from home depot make sure its a ceramic socket and not a plastic socket. The plastic sockets will work but its flirting with danger at any moment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Toms threads below in my post will keep you and your leopard growing smooth and healthy.
Im not an expert, but this is what i used and have learned from Tom.
Items needed
Mvb
2 CHE (only one if you don't get cold winters)
Coconut coir-holds humidity well, won't mold or cause impaction.
2 hides one near basking one other end
Clay saucer for water
Flat rock or tile for food
Soaking tub for daily warm water 20-30 minute soaks.
Keep temps day and night at 80 degrees.
Humidity day and night 80%
Basking light, day only 95+

If you pour warm water into the corners of the enclosure to moisten the bottom of the tub, it will soak the coir from bottom up. Also, stir it up every other day or so.

Btw, nice enclosure, both of you. But it does need to be at least mostly enclosed to keep humidity up. Impossible on an open enclosure without 24/7 watering and extra heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.