I love my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

The weather here has been warming up so I decided to remove Bob's heater and did a little bit of cleaning in the shed, I swept all the spider webs and removed all the dust and hauled in a fresh pile of hay and swamped the floor pretty good. I was pretty proud of the work I did and closed it up knowing it was a job well done. So when I went in this morning the first thing I noticed was it was dark. I propped open the door and saw my strip wire thing laying on the floor as was Bob's 250 watt Trex I can't afford to replace it now basking bulb. Here is a picture of one of Queenie's basking lights.
nf3zo3.jpg

2ed77tt.jpg

I would have taken more pictures of the mess but I was so upset over the whole thing that I had it all cleaned up before I thought of taking pictures. He took his just filled water bowl and tipped it over in the fresh hay. Nice!
I guess I was so proud of my cleaning yesterday I didn't make sure I put the wires back up out of Bob's reach. I don't know why he was so mad at Queenie's light but he sure beat it up good. BUT...he didn't break the bulb! He also didn't break his expensive basking bulb, nor were there any burn marks. Since the last episode of knocking down the bulb and burning the floor I am really afraid of fire. Anyhow, Bob just knocked around all the light fixtures and had himself a good time. The jerk.

I bought several bags of top soil to fix all the damage he did to his pen the other day when he dug up all the mud and made grooves in the grass. I spread a couple of the bags but then it started raining so I just left the other 3 bags laying there. This afternoon I went to peek at Bob and his shed was really too hot. He was in the middle of the floor with his water dish between his front feet and his face had fresh water on it. I laughed...but took pity on him and opened his doggie door. I hadn't let him out because I wanted the dirt and the mud to dry up some and I didn't want him messing up his graze with the ground so wet. But he was too hot in there... DoctorCosmonaut had come over today and fixed Bob's ramp so that was the first thing he noticed, he took two steps out and stopped and sniffed the new wood and tried to take a bite but then he went out to the grass. He is so aware of his world and he is so interested in it and in everything that is involved in his world. So he's grazing and I am making a better job of smoothing out the soil I had thrown out and I noticed Bob was quiet so I looked over and sure enough he's biting and pulling at a corner of a bag of the top soil and he had a good hole happening and he's chewing on and swallowing the plastic!
I raised 2 boys and neither one caused half the trouble this tortoise has. This tortoise is a spoiled rotten animal and I just made a whole story out of nuthin...just another day in the world of Sir Robert the Third...or what was his name???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
she might have more money though.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
My friend's Sulcata just ate the sprinkler system (the tort quickly figured out it wasn't some fancy flower and spat it out).
He was across the yard and saw the tort in slow motion, said he yelled "stoppppppp" and dove to save the system and couldn't. I imagined him landing on his face empty handed and the tort looking down at him thinking "what's with you?"
It's like a game of who can outsmart the other....I'm sure Bob will keep you busy for a long time.
Be well.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I love you both. Bob is amazing, even if he uses his powers for evil most of the time! What WOULD you do without him? You'd need a dozen little torts just to make up for one of him (trouble wise heh) If I can manage it, I would love to try and make it out that way this summer. If you ever need anything Mags, I'm just an email away! I know I'm no Cosmonaut, but I can try right? :p

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Maggie, your stories about Bob should be in a special file to send to any one who even considers on of these torts. Even with your secure place he still gets into things.I know we always tell people to read the potentials on Sulcatas, but here is the actual evidence.
I am sorry it's funny in a sick way.
I feel the same about my large birds.My hubby and I just finished building a nice house. He's a finish carpenter and is also a perfectionist. After finally getting some long overdue trim and molding up, I come home one day to see the cockatoo had broken out of his cage and made sawdust of a window trim. Doesn't sound like much, but some days it feels like one step forward, two steps back. And try ordering one piece of a window trim kit. Never mind the work.
But every time I even seriously consider placing his *** on Craigslist,(That's my big threat to him) You can picture a grown women, yelling at the top of her lungs, "YOUR GOING ON CRAIGSLIST!!!)
I think of my life without him. Never mind the new home and what it would be like for him, would they take the time to do things right? Not in my mind.
So the big question, would your life truly be better not having him?
Plus we wouldn't have these entertaining posts......
Sorry.
Na

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
That would be "King Robert III Fan". And I'm drop dead serious when I say that boy needs his own time slot on prime time tv. It could go up against any show. I pee myself everytime you call him a jerk.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I was just going through the same thing and it happens often. You clean, feed and love them and they through it back at you. You give them a bath and they walk through or lay down on poop. You feed them and they trample the food you prepared. You groom their pen and they dig a hole and spread the dirt around.

...they are what they are and all you can do is love them - just like your kids. :p

M

Maggie Cummings

I think I mostly post about the stuff that Bob does to me as a break from the serious sick; my tortoise died, or newbie questions, can I keep my Sulcata turtle on rabbit pellets?....I am glad you all laugh at him and I mean that sincerely...

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I so love your Bob tales!!!! They way you write them and then the pictures you have posted alows the story to flow in my mind. Seriously you should start gathering all your posts and put them into a word document to eventually publish a book of short stories on the life of Bob!!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
On a gloomy day when things are low for me....I wish I had a "Bob Book". These stories brighten my day!!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Weloveourtortoise said:
I so love your Bob tales!!!! They way you write them and then the pictures you have posted alows the story to flow in my mind. Seriously you should start gathering all your posts and put them into a word document to eventually publish a book of short stories on the life of Bob!!!!

That's what I've been saying! He's a larger than life, one of a kind dude. I'd love to say Maggie could take him to hospitals to cheer the patients up but he'd end up pushing the people in their beds down the hall into other rooms and spilling all the bedpans.

sulcata

5 Year Member
you should write a book about Bob the sulcata...:)
good stories:p

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
"That's what I've been saying! He's a larger than life, one of a kind dude. I'd love to say Maggie could take him to hospitals to cheer the patients up but he'd end up pushing the people in their beds down the hall into other rooms and spilling all the bedpans."

Oh my lord, that is too funny!! I love reading your stories Maggie, your the best at telling them! You and Bob SHOULD have your own section!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Have you ever considered writing a book about bob and his exploits? it could include pics, I personally think it would sell really well. Then he could start earning his keep.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Childrens book...Bob goes for a walk. Bob goes to the Vet. Bob takes a nap. Bob the Bulldozer.
Aimed at kids but educational for adults as well!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, Bob is amazing, so much personality :D I second the idea of a book about him, I would buy it for sure :D

dragnikla

5 Year Member
owings mills, MD
I am planning on getting a sulcata in June. I am still setting up the indoor table, and interviewing vets, its all very exciting. I love these Bob chronicles. I was wondering if anyone knew how invisible fences worked technically speaking. Or even the doggy doors that you need a special collar to be able to go in and out. Still a thought in its early stages, but i thought if you attach the collar (somehow) and had the doggy door lead to his outdoor enclosure, couldn't he go out without destroying the property?As far as the fences, i didn't know if it was a sound or pain that stopped dogs from crossing, but i'm sure something could be thought of. I wouldn't want to do a moat, he would probably jump in and then realize he couldn't swim. For now it looks like all i can use are hard wood, brick metal type enclosures, that makes me think he will definitely try to ram his way through. quicksand that might do it. I don't know I feel like i'm trying to build alcatraz instead of a lovely outdoor grazing pen. Is bob just special in his destructive behavior, or should we all expect this at some point in time? I was also wondering if he ever tried to chew on wire (like hardware cloth mesh wire). Great photos

Status
Not open for further replies.