I like cats. I dislike cat owners. Please help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Update
The cat belongs to my new. Antisocial neighbors to the East of me.
I've attempted to speak to them several times. Once to help them repair their car. Another just to be neighborly.
They just aren't friendly. Like their damned cat.
I'll be trapping the cat and sending him away.
I won't be updating anymore.
Thank you

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Update
I've attempted to speak to them several times. Once to help them repair their car. Another just to be neighborly.
Thank you

They are the reason that poor cat is miserable!! They probably beat him/her...?
So sorry to hear this.
I tried.... ☹️
Good luck ?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
This thread was a wild ride.

When I was younger and first moved into town, I contacted animal control about all of the cats killing the birds and pooping in my garden. They just told me "there's no ordinance to leash cats, there's nothing we can do." After moving to a more progressive area - one of the rescues I've worked with more recently is a cat rescue (no-kill), and they encourage humanely trapping nuisance cats. They told me that it's typical for an outdoor cat to have more than one family, but not a single one of those families will come to the rescue looking for that cat when it goes missing.

On a fun note, I once caught a feral cat by the scruff when it got stranded in the snow between some logs. It was so stunned it just hung stiffly until I brought it indoors. I was so incredibly lucky. Naive little me was going to call up a rescue and see little kitty on its way to a new life. Then the cat snapped out of its stunned state and proceeded to tumble around in circles in a panic - floor to wall to ceiling, like a pee-fueled Thunderdome bike, teaching me a very important lesson about the difference between a feral and stray ?

Skip K

Virginia
For the ac smell...I’ve used this on mold/bacteria build-up in the a/c system ...and worked great. Eliminated the old gym sock odor. Only negative...it removed the odor FAST...but took a few days for the perfume scent to go away. Make sure you get the ac treatment and not the odor eliminator for carpets

Attachments

• BBBE64A1-1D9B-4E6F-85F9-412CA905B505.jpeg
    BBBE64A1-1D9B-4E6F-85F9-412CA905B505.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
For the ac smell...I’ve used this on mold/bacteria build-up in the a/c system ...and worked great. Eliminated the old gym sock odor. Only negative...it removed the odor FAST...but took a few days for the perfume scent to go away. Make sure you get the ac treatment and not the odor eliminator for carpets
Thanks for that.
I've dumped FEBREZE down the AC air intakes for now.
It smells exactly like Febreeze and cat pee.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This thread was a wild ride.

When I was younger and first moved into town, I contacted animal control about all of the cats killing the birds and pooping in my garden. They just told me "there's no ordinance to leash cats, there's nothing we can do." After moving to a more progressive area - one of the rescues I've worked with more recently is a cat rescue (no-kill), and they encourage humanely trapping nuisance cats. They told me that it's typical for an outdoor cat to have more than one family, but not a single one of those families will come to the rescue looking for that cat when it goes missing.

On a fun note, I once caught a feral cat by the scruff when it got stranded in the snow between some logs. It was so stunned it just hung stiffly until I brought it indoors. I was so incredibly lucky. Naive little me was going to call up a rescue and see little kitty on its way to a new life. Then the cat snapped out of its stunned state and proceeded to tumble around in circles in a panic - floor to wall to ceiling, like a pee-fueled Thunderdome bike, teaching me a very important lesson about the difference between a feral and stray ?
I don't understand cats or cat owners.
I've never had a cat. Just a few X girlfriends with them. None of that is a cherished memory

Skip K

Virginia
Thanks for that.
I've dumped FEBREZE down the AC air intakes for now.
It smells exactly like Febreeze and cat pee.
The problem is not in the inside air vents...it’s what grows on the condenser. This treatment is APPLIED OUTSIDE the car through the outside intake air vents at the bottom of the windshield. I never had a problem till my son was told that on hot humid days the ac is colder if the controls are set to “recirculate”. This does makes the ac marginally more effective...but doesn’t allow the ac internal components to dry properly because outside air is not coming in through the outside vents..drying internal components and soon mold develops. The cat urine is entering through this same outside vents. Trying “recirculate” where interior air is recirculated over and over... might cut down initially on the smell...but will only make the matter worse in the long run and setting to recirculate or not won’t matter...because mold / bacteria will eventually permeate everything including the interior air ducts and cabin filter ( which you will have to replace now anyway). I recommend removing the cabin filter...doing the treatment...then putting in a new cabin filter. This product removes the mold/bacteria...from everything external and internal. Your cabin filter is ruined now and the treatment won’t work well on it.

Last edited:

Skip K

Virginia
There is also another possible concern. Outside cats can shed a parasite ( toxoplasmosis)...which torts can ingest by eating anything a infected cat urinates on. I’ve never read anything definitive about this parasite and it’s effect on torts...but I don’t like the idea regardless of the degree of seriousness it poses.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I have 9 large dogs and one indoor cat.. I don’t have an issue with stray cats at all, probably because my dogs would try to eat them, even though they have a cat friend inside he’s the exception not the rule. I don’t think I can be much help here. But I do see like 20 or more cats a week around town, none will venture into my property. I honestly don’t see why it ok to have your pet cats wandering around, it’s definitely not safe for the cat.

I guess my only suggestion is get more dogs? ???

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Update
Thank you
Man I would love to have you as neighbor-never lived near a real mechanic. A master mason (he can do smooth curved walls) 2 painters (one does walls/paints fruit) several teachers and an Autistic School Administrator. Otherwise a lot of retirees!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The problem is not in the inside air vents...it’s what grows on the condenser. This treatment is APPLIED OUTSIDE the car through the outside intake air vents at the bottom of the windshield. I never had a problem till my son was told that on hot humid days the ac is colder if the controls are set to “recirculate”. This does makes the ac marginally more effective...but doesn’t allow the ac internal components to dry properly because outside air is not coming in through the outside vents..drying internal components and soon mold develops. The cat urine is entering through this same outside vents. Trying “recirculate” where interior air is recirculated over and over... might cut down initially on the smell...but will only make the matter worse in the long run and setting to recirculate or not won’t matter...because mold / bacteria will eventually permeate everything including the interior air ducts and cabin filter ( which you will have to replace now anyway). I recommend removing the cabin filter...doing the treatment...then putting in a new cabin filter. This product removes the mold/bacteria...from everything external and internal. Your cabin filter is ruined now and the treatment won’t work well on it.
I use the recirculating feature exclusively

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is also another possible concern. Outside cats can shed a parasite ( toxoplasmosis)...which torts can ingest by eating anything a infected cat urinates on. I’ve never read anything definitive about this parasite and it’s effect on torts...but I don’t like the idea regardless of the degree of seriousness it poses.
My enclosure (the one I use primarily) is enclosed and mostly cat proof.
On cooler nights, I did have cats getting into the heated night boxes before

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have 9 large dogs and one indoor cat.. I don’t have an issue with stray cats at all, probably because my dogs would try to eat them, even though they have a cat friend inside he’s the exception not the rule. I don’t think I can be much help here. But I do see like 20 or more cats a week around town, none will venture into my property. I honestly don’t see why it ok to have your pet cats wandering around, it’s definitely not safe for the cat.

I guess my only suggestion is get more dogs? ???
I have just one 3.4 pound dog

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Toxoplasmosis is extremely dangerous for pregnant women. They should never mess with a litter box. I freakin hate to be lumped in with the phrase "cat owners", I am a cat owner and have had a cat or cats my whole life. I LOVE cats! But my cats never, absolutely never go outside. Simon...
100_4402.JPG
I get very angry at this subject. I hate outside cats, and their owners. People like me feel harassed by other peoples cats, killing my birds, crapping in my gardens, spraying my back door, knocking over my potted plants, and the big one, dirty cat prints on my car. That makes me craziest. I also get angry when people like ZEROPILOT get all twisted about a particular cat. It's not the cat's fault, it's the cat owners I get mad at. Because of these cat owners, people like ZEROPILOT are forced to do something they don't like, getting rid of the cat. ZEROPILOT is a kind, caring compassionate person, and he now is having to deal with something that he shouldn't have to, doing something to the cat is not emotionally easy. It sucks
Smokey
100_4401.JPG

Skip K

Virginia
I use the recirculating feature exclusively
The only time I’ve used the recirculating feature is for a temporary issue...like passing a paper processing plant....or being stuck behind a car burning oil ( instant throbbing headache). Lol...and in my posting I meant to say the mold buildup occurs on the evaporator. Just a suggestion to any who are replacing a cabin air filter...look at ones made by K&N. It’s washable/reusable...and actually costs less than a cheap paper OEM one. The good ‘ol dealer is always “looking out for me” and does “free vehicle inspections” when ever I’m there. When my Jeep was due for its first servicing...they recommended replacing the cabin air filter for about 150.00 including labor ( which would be a recurring maintenance cost). I bought a K&N reusable one for about 40.00 and installed it in 5 minutes. And I just take out the K&N and clean it whenever needed. All our vehicles have K&N air filters...both cabin and engine.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live exactly five miles east of the main street in the small town of Clovis, CA. I used to say it was rural, but there's been so much new home building that there are subdivisions built up pretty close to my house. The street in front of my house has no posted speed limit so most cars drive pretty fast, and all the people on the side street have rural mailboxes and each is about a half acre, some an acre.

The mind set for those in town folks who don't want their cat anymore is to "take it out into the country and dump it." Well, since I live on the main east/west street out of town, and five miles out, my house seems to be "out in the country" to those folks. I get a lot of cats that don't belong here.

Because I have cats of my own and have cat food out for them, the newly deposited cats always find their way to my house. At first I scat and shoo them, but if they continue to hang around I trap them, take them in to be neutered and spayed, then release them back at my house. In this way I usually always have at least four outside cats, occasionally more. There's just no way in the world I'd bring all those strays into my house after they'd been neutered.

My outside cats are well fed and attended to. They get human intervention, brushing, loving and petting daily. Right now I have four outside cats and I can go outside any time of the day or night and see all four of them. My next door neighbor has two cats and I occasionally see them too, but they just come over to eat my cat food and pick fights with my cats.

I don't think my cats make nuisances of themselves at my neighbors' houses, but I've told different neighbors when I've had occasion to talk to them outside that they have my permission to squirt my cats with the hose, throw rocks at them, shoo them away.