I like cats. I dislike cat owners. Please help

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would try the spray that you can put on your shrubbery to deter cats. I'd spray it on the ground/drive and make a perimeter around the cars. You could also saturate a rag with the spray and set it on the hood in a disposable dish...maybe an aluminum pie pan with a rock to hold it in place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07173BY1C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Cayenne pepper is a decent cat deterent. Find the cheapest supply for powder you can, and spread it liberally anywhere the cat defecates or other places you dont want it around. They figure out pretty quick where to avoid.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My neighbours have at least 3 cats, and their yard is completely paved so the cats use my garden as a giant litter tray. I have tried all sorts of things like hanging cds, and bottles of water - anything reflective which they apparently don't like. I've stuck kebab sticks in the soil in areas they favour, but they just move to another spot, At the moment I cover areas with wire sheets because they don't like walking on it and use kiddie windmill toys to put them off because the sudden movement startles them but they still find other areas for their toilet.
Then their owners have the nerve to complain to me about some leaves from my shrubs blowing into their yard! They sweep them up and dump them over the fence - maybe I should do the same with their cat mess!
They don't like this, but you have to be looking out for them to use it
1614174930218.png

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Ughh this sucks, I am a cat lover but I feel your pain. We have ferals that run around our property and it causes a lot of headaches for us as my cats (indoor) then want to fight and **** everywhere. I also have neighbors that allow their cats to be outdoors too even though we live right off of a very busy street, its infuriating. For the ferals we just run outside and scream at them, the noise will run them off and most stay away after that. Cayenne pepper works well and so do super soakers. I get the reason why cat owners would like to have their pets outside it is good enrichment for them but I feel that only should apply to someone with a lot of property, like a farm or something. Good luck.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My neighbours have at least 3 cats, and their yard is completely paved so the cats use my garden as a giant litter tray. I have tried all sorts of things like hanging cds, and bottles of water - anything reflective which they apparently don't like. I've stuck kebab sticks in the soil in areas they favour, but they just move to another spot, At the moment I cover areas with wire sheets because they don't like walking on it and use kiddie windmill toys to put them off because the sudden movement startles them but they still find other areas for their toilet.
Then their owners have the nerve to complain to me about some leaves from my shrubs blowing into their yard! They sweep them up and dump them over the fence - maybe I should do the same with their cat mess!
They don't like this, but you have to be looking out for them to use it
View attachment 319129
It sounds like those neighbors are more of an issue than the cats.
Same ones you've had issues with for years?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Maybe a motion activated sprinkler? My hat if off to you that kind of damage would mean the cats days are numbered around my place
My neighbor uses a sprinkler like that. I know because when I try to swipe her newspaper before she gets up, I get hit with a face full of water...lol!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Cayenne pepper is a decent cat deterent. Find the cheapest supply for powder you can, and spread it liberally anywhere the cat defecates or other places you dont want it around. They figure out pretty quick where to avoid.
That's what I did on my car...Cat didn't show up and the wind blew all the pepper off my car lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll probably be trapping this cat.
I just need to be 100% sure I trap the correct one.
The others don't damage my property or pee in my air vents.
Hopefully I can keep him in my enclosed back sun room until his or her owner is located or not.
If he truly is no ones cat. I'll relocate him at my old job.
Several people feed that cat colony daily.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'll probably be trapping this cat.
I just need to be 100% sure I trap the correct one.
The others don't damage my property or pee in my air vents.
It's hard on your emotions. I have loved cats all my life, I have always had 2 or more. So when I am so stressed out about my plants, deck swing, cat prints on my clean car, cat poop in my gardens dead birds, when I trap someone elses cat and take it for a ride it bothers me...a lot. But I won't stop until there is no pile of bone and feathers under my bird feeders. Domestic cats kill more birds annually than any other source.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
In RVA you need to license both cats and dogs. If your cat is a nuisance and it gets trapped it is your fault. Soon 6' privacy fence + clumsy white Manx = safe outdoor time. BTW he is a bird watcher and not a catcher. Now the squirrels are right to fear the dogs

Jan A

Boulder, CO
That seems possible.
But I'd hate to take care of a pissed off cat in a cage for very long.
They generally go NUTS when they get caught. And need to be released quickly.
And there's also the occasional skunk you might capture. Now those are really difficult to keep from leaking while in cages. And the neighbor's wonder why there's a skunk smell for days & days in a row while you're working up the guts to get a towel over the cage before you try to release or move the skunk!! Been there, done that.

We've caught cats, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, etc. in trying to capture what's living under our house.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
And there's also the occasional skunk you might capture. Now those are really difficult to keep from leaking while in cages. And the neighbor's wonder why there's a skunk smell for days & days in a row while you're working up the guts to get a towel over the cage before you try to release or move the skunk!! Been there, done that.

We've caught cats, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, etc. in trying to capture what's living under our house.
This guy was seriously unhappy at getting caught...
100_4353.JPG

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales

I’ve caught a skunk by accident before, that’s not fun, it’s a real trick figuring out how to let it out of the cage without getting both barrels so to speak.