I like cats. I dislike cat owners. Please help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There seems to be an unwritten rule that if you own a cat, its perfectly acceptable to let it free range the neighborhood, peeing and pooping anywhere but in the probably non existent litterbox at the owners residence.
Since these same people would very likely be unhappy if I allowed my dog to use their property for her personal latrine, I don't see how anyone would even attempt to justify this.
Yet it is very common.
I like animals.
I'm a protector of animals.
This is my current situation:
I'm used to finding ocean death scented butt sausages in my yard and in my flower beds. But now there is a new cat that sits on the hood of my truck and my car and pees on the windshield. So that the pungent smell enters the vehicle if I choose to use the air conditioning. Which is mandatory most days here.
This cat has also been peeing on and sharpening his or her claws on my wifes car which has a convertible roof. Doing damage.
I do not want to harm the cat. Or trap it and relocate it. But I don't know what else to do.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

zovick

10 Year Member!
There seems to be an unwritten rule that if you own a cat, its perfectly acceptable to let it free range the neighborhood, peeing and pooping anywhere but in the probably non existent litterbox at the owners residence.
Since these same people would very likely be unhappy if I allowed my dog to use their property for her personal latrine, I don't see how anyone would even attempt to justify this.
Yet it is very common.
I like animals.
I'm used to finding ocean death scented butt sausages in my yard and in my flower beds. But now there is a new cat that sits on the hood of my truck and my car and pees on the windshield. So that the pungent smell enters the vehicle if I choose to use the air conditioning. Which is mandatory most days here.
This cat has also been peeing on and sharpening his or her claws on my wifes car which has a convertible roof. Doing damage.
I do not want to harm the cat. Or trap it and relocate it. But I don't know what else to do.
Do you know who owns it? If not, I would trap it and deliver it to the local animal shelter or ASPCA.
Or is it possibly a feral cat in which case trapping and animal shelter delivery or euthanasia would be on my list.

If you know the owner, a heated discussion with him/her would be in order.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you know who owns it? If not, I would trap it and deliver it to the local animal shelter or ASPCA.
Or is it possibly a feral cat in which case trapping and animal shelter delivery or euthanasia would be on my list.

If you know the owner, a heated discussion with him/her would be in order.
See?
The thing is... years ago I trapped 2 cats and relocated them by my job to join that local, well fed feral cat group.
During the weeks that followed I found out that one belonged to a 10 year old girl a block away through signs posted. And the other was a nearby neighbors.
I strongly assume that this might also be someone's beloved pet (part time?) And not just feral.
It seems like at this point, I have more concern for the cats welfare than the owner does.
I'd estimate that there are between 4 and 7 cats visiting my yard each night.
Most do minimal damage

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Cats can learn to pass through a yard without claiming it. This can be hard when you keep different hours (and can't hiss at the trespasser or spray the hose at it).

Try this:
Collect up some stinky poo from your various meat-eating species and daily/nightly set a fresh plastic container of Predator scat on the hood. See if Passive Territorial Dominance can win the day.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am a cat person, and you like me ? ...And I believe you have most probably read my discourse on neighbor cats and outside cats in general.
I have taken neighbors cats out of state after warning the owners, I spent $20 on black pepper once to spread it all over my car to get the next door cat who sleeps on my hood.
I HATE outside cats. Inside cats live from 7 to 10 years longer than outside cats. And with me as your neighbor, keep your cat inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me so freakin mad, because I love cats, it's their owners who make me act out.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
See?
The thing is... years ago I trapped 2 cats and relocated them by my job to join that local, well fed feral cat group.
During the weeks that followed I found out that one belonged to a 10 year old girl a block away through signs posted. And the other was a nearby neighbors.
I strongly assume that this might also be someone's beloved pet (part time?) And not just feral.
It seems like at this point, I have more concern for the cats welfare than the owner does.
I'd estimate that there are between 4 and 7 cats visiting my yard each night.
Most do minimal damage
I feel your pain. I have three Golden Retrievers that I have to pay to license with the town every year (which I gladly do). However, my neighborhood has no less than 6 cats that have entered my yard in the last 2 days. I do not know if they have been vaccinated against rabies, and I fear an altercation with my dogs which might result in lacerations that require veterinary care. I can’t stand that there are cat owners who think that their pets deserve a lesser standard of care than other pets. I believe if you wouldn’t let your toddler take the risk, why do you let your pet? I do not think it safe for a toddler to wander in traffic, and I certainly wouldn’t let my toddler kill the wild birds in your yard, nor use your garden as a toilet.

Just sayin’...

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I feel your pain. I have three Golden Retrievers that I have to pay to license with the town every year (which I gladly do). However, my neighborhood has no less than 6 cats that have entered my yard in the last 2 days. I do not know if they have been vaccinated against rabies, and I fear an altercation with my dogs which might result in lacerations that require veterinary care. I can’t stand that there are cat owners who think that their pets deserve a lesser standard of care than other pets. I believe if you wouldn’t let your toddler take the risk, why do you let your pet? I do not think it safe for a toddler to wander in traffic, and I certainly wouldn’t let my toddler kill the wild birds in your yard, nor use your garden as a toilet.

Just sayin’...
You have to pay to have your dogs???

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yet it is very common.
I like animals.
Here it is! Maybe it'll help?

Katie11

Baker fl
Yet it is very common.
I like animals.
I googled natural ways to repel cats outside not sure about using any of it on ur car tho...but it's worth reading into it..maybe u should trap n hold the cat and post ur own found cat posters in the neighborhood?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am a cat person, and you like me ? ...And I believe you have most probably read my discourse on neighbor cats and outside cats in general.
I have taken neighbors cats out of state after warning the owners, I spent $20 on black pepper once to spread it all over my car to get the next door cat who sleeps on my hood.
I HATE outside cats. Inside cats live from 7 to 10 years longer than outside cats. And with me as your neighbor, keep your cat inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me so freakin mad, because I love cats, it's their owners who make me act out.
Yes ma'am I agree

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Although I do have a garage, it's small and is full of tools and motorcycles.
Our cars are in our driveway and on the grass area between the sidewalk and the street.
These are relatively high foot traffic areas. Any interactive deterrents would likely just spray someone walking their dog or get carried away by some intrigued kid.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I googled natural ways to repel cats outside not sure about using any of it on ur car tho...but it's worth reading into it..maybe u should trap n hold the cat and post ur own found cat posters in the neighborhood?
That seems possible.
But I'd hate to take care of a pissed off cat in a cage for very long.
They generally go NUTS when they get caught. And need to be released quickly.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
These are relatively high foot traffic areas. Any interactive deterrents would likely just spray someone walking their dog or get carried away by some intrigued kid.
There's a thought... how well do you like your neighbors? Lol jk!
It would be a pain, but maybe a tarp?
You could get a super soaker and wait it out maybe lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's a thought... how well do you like your neighbors? Lol jk!
It would be a pain, but maybe a tarp?
You could get a super soaker and wait it out maybe lol
Tarps and car covers don't work well here. We get pop up storms from out of nowhere and they carry high winds.
I've tried. (Car covers)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I really need to be able to identify this specific cat and that's difficult. Because I see him out of my living room window. But as soon as i flip on the light and open my door, he's gone.
All I know is that he's dark and I believe multi colored with long hair.
It isn't the light that scares him. Its motion activated and he/she sets it off a few times a night.
So do other cats.
One in particular likes to sleep on the bench on my front porch.