I keep finding my tort on its back.

noahbdh

When I come home for lunch a few times I've found my tortoise on its back, and he doesn't seem too good at rolling back over. Is there anything I can do, besides find him and turn him back over?

Whayla

Try "baby proofing" the environment so-to-speak. When a tortoise is tipped, their organs smash up against their lungs making it fatal for the tortoise to stay in that position for long periods of time. Make sure the water dish sits level to the ground for easy in and out access and so the tortoise doesn't have the opportunity to tip over. Also, tortoises will try and climb out or climb over things they can see over/out of.

Take my experience for example - In my Tortuga's tank she has a hallowed half log as a hide. One day she decided she was big enough to climb to the top of the log, which ended in her being tipped upside down squirming to be placed right side up. Luckily I was there to lend a helping hand, but she was determined to get to the top because she could see it. So, as a solution I offered her a ramp to the top of the log. Not only did I solve the problem, but I offered her a little more room to roam in the process.
Keep in mind, if you don't want them doing it, they probably will anyway. Try offering a solution to both you AND the tortoise. :)
Hope this helps.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I have found that if I keep food in the cage 24/7 my baby would mostly eat and then be full and fall asleep, then wake up and start eating again. Of course he'd still walk around and stuff, but not as much.
Also make sure you keep the food away from edges, especially corners. You don't want your tort to flip over and fall into the water. Also make sure there's nothing they can flip over under the light. Direct heat on an upside down tort is not good. And if you can get rid of 90 degree angles it will help alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

For a few ideas for the corners..

This is what I did when my tort first started going outside. I screwed those plastic folders to the corners. I also duct taped the folders to the corners in his indoor enclosure. This way he couldn't try to climb the corners and flip over because he wasn't able to even stand up all the way on his back legs.
uploadfromtaptalk1396031701096.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396031722581.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396031742609.jpg

About a month ago a big storm ruined the folders (surprisingly they lasted probably over a year). I thought turbo was done flipping so I didn't replace them but then he flipped from trying to climb a corner. I put this extra peice of wood in the corners to avoid any 90 degree angles.
uploadfromtaptalk1396031899201.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396031935019.jpg

Hope this helps. I had a terrible time figuring out what to do with mine and he's flipped countless times. But eventually I figured out what works.

Last edited by a moderator:

noahbdh

He's got plenty of food in his enclosure. He flips only at the corners. I'll try putting something there. Thanks for all the tips

MotherOfPearl

5 Year Member
western North Carolina
I just wanted to pop in and commend @erdavis for the idea of using the folders to prevent a tortoise from standing up on its hind legs and thus flipping over. I haven't seen such a remedy before and think it may be of help for my little Pearl (only 8mos old, maybe she will grow out of it?) in particular - she sure does love to (or trying to) stand up!

Thanks for the photos of your solution!

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
No problem! Took me a while to figure out how to get my Sulcata from flipping. Apparently as torts get older they get more top/front heavy and so it's harder for them to fall. However my 2.5 year 3 lb tort managed to flip himself over on a corner within 2 days of me taking the folders down after about a year. I still never leave anything new in the enclosure without watching him for a couple of days so I know if he'll try to flip on it. My guy just got a bigger hide and I took it out of his closure during the day while I was at school until I was able to observe him with it during the weekend.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
noahbdh said:
He's got plenty of food in his enclosure. He flips only at the corners. I'll try putting something there. Thanks for all the tips

I use plastic garden edging or cut in half water bottles to round out corners. They LOVE corners! They also love to get into cracks so if there is a space between something and a wall, they will turn every which way to get into it, sometimes flipping over in the process. Fill in cracks and round out those corners or like above, put barriers so they can not stand all the way up. Good luck with him!

CaseyTurner1

Essex
Try "baby proofing" the environment so-to-speak. When a tortoise is tipped, their organs smash up against their lungs making it fatal for the tortoise to stay in that position for long periods of time. Make sure the water dish sits level to the ground for easy in and out access and so the tortoise doesn't have the opportunity to tip over. Also, tortoises will try and climb out or climb over things they can see over/out of.

Take my experience for example - In my Tortuga's tank she has a hallowed half log as a hide. One day she decided she was big enough to climb to the top of the log, which ended in her being tipped upside down squirming to be placed right side up. Luckily I was there to lend a helping hand, but she was determined to get to the top because she could see it. So, as a solution I offered her a ramp to the top of the log. Not only did I solve the problem, but I offered her a little more room to roam in the process.
Keep in mind, if you don't want them doing it, they probably will anyway. Try offering a solution to both you AND the tortoise. :)
Hope this helps.
I had this same problem can I see a picture of your ramp

Liltortivert

California
I had this same problem can I see a picture of your ramp
Not sure if that person is still active but for my half log i half buried it partially so its basically a hill. The sides of the log have substrate packed so it slopes up and has more gentle angles for climbing up and down. Also a smaller fall for the tort.