I just found a tortoise... in my garden. HELP!

Troubled42

Location (City and/or State)
Staffordshire, UK
Hi all,

I have just found a tortoise in my garden (UK) and I have absolutely no idea where it has come from! My garden is all fenced in apart from a small gap near the back... whilst I'm trying to hopefully find its rightful owner on social media channels, could you guys please help me on what particular tortoise I have, its health condition, age and so on?
I feel a duty of care for this fella now and i want to look after him right until I can find the owner.
I'm not expert but he looks a bit rough? like he has been roaming free for a while? I could be wrong though.

Desperately waiting for feedback. I've already given him a shallow tray of water and some carrots. hes outside in a pen right now which was previously used for a rabbit.

Thank you and please see the pictures below in an Imgur album.
http://imgur.com/a/9SqZY

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice job on the pictures! Let's wait for Hermannichris' help with the I.D.

Troubled42

Staffordshire, UK
4BlezGE.jpg

This is the makeshift pen for the night. He has been snugged up against the side there for an hour asleep. I'm not sure if he's too cold or not. If he has really been outside for so long I'm sure he'll be fine. Just for reference, the lowest it'll get tonight is 15c. (I took the box out and just left the straw in there but i haven't put it near him)

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
Little greek lady(I think). Thanks for looking out for her. She can eat things like dandelion, broad leaf weeds, many types of leaves, grocery store spring mix, etc. No fruit and veggies really. For a hide you might want to even use a cardboard box with a smaller hole in the front, because the other is see though and too open which may make her feel more insecure.
Since she's possibly been on her own for a whole, when she is up tomorrow you may want to put her in a container with warm water just up to where her belly plate(plastron) meets the top part of the shell for a while so she can soak and rehydrate.

Experienced members can give you more and better advice.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
She doesn't look too worse for wear to be honest as far as 'found' tortoises can go. - I would knock on the neighbors doors, put up a sign without photos (that way people need to ID the tortoise, dishonest people will respond to 'found' ads looking for a free tortoise) and possibly call the local vets and animal control to see if anyone has reported it missing.
Does anyone know if they microchip tortoises in the UK? Maybe @JoesMum can give you resources specific to the UK for finding the owner.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi @Troubled42 and welcome from Kent UK

This looks like one of the elderly Greeks from the pre cites era just like my Joe who we got in 1970. Clearly gone walkabout in the recent hot weather and definitely a much missed pet.

While those bred and sold now must be microchipped, it's unlikely a tort of this age is. That said, we had Joe done just in case this ever happened so it is definitely worth taking the tort to a vet and getting it scanned.

I would start by knocking on neighbours doors to see if any one has lost 'a pet'

Also vets, the RSPCA, the police, the local paper, local animal rescues and social media.

Be aware that if you put this up on facebook or whatever you will get endless claimants and proving ownership will be difficult.

We have photos of Joe taken most years from when he was tiny to date... I would be surprised if the owner of this one doesn't.

In the hot weather we have had recently a tortoise can get a long way, so the owner may live more distantly than seems likely. It rather depends on the are you live in.

You need a secure pen in the garden this tort can't escape from - as big as you can make it.

The tort will graze from weeds and garden plants in the lawn and borders - protect anything you cherish! Supplement with supermarket greens in the interim - hopefully it won't be for too long. There's plenty of dandelions growing in the hedgerows that you can pick for free as a supplement too.

The tort needs water. A terracotta plant saucer pushed into the ground so it's level with the surface is ideal.

We have 47 years experience with a garden Greek in the UK. Don't hesitate to message me if you want more direct help.

Last edited:

Troubled42

Staffordshire, UK
Thank you for all of your replies so far, its been really helpful.

I'm still trying to track down the owner but in the meantime I'm attempting to look after it the best I can. I did pop her in a bowl of very shallow warm (not hot or cold) water and she seemed to enjoy it for 5 minutes, staying still and gently paddling, whilst having a gulp of water here and then. then she kept trying to climb out so I let her roam free again.

Any ideas exactly how old she might be?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for all of your replies so far, its been really helpful.

I'm still trying to track down the owner but in the meantime I'm attempting to look after it the best I can. I did pop her in a bowl of very shallow warm (not hot or cold) water and she seemed to enjoy it for 5 minutes, staying still and gently paddling, whilst having a gulp of water here and then. then she kept trying to climb out so I let her roam free again.

Any ideas exactly how old she might be?
Best guess is over 40. Could be 60 or more. You can't tell the age of a tortoise unless you know the hatch date.

A good clear photo of the plastron and tail (gently roll the tort upside down) will help us confirm gender. You cannot tell from right way up pictures. It will also help us tell Greek from Hermann's, not that it matters at this age when it comes to care :)

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
A good clear photo of the plastron and tail (gently roll the tort upside down) will help us confirm gender. You cannot tell from right way up pictures. It will also help us tell Greek from Hermann's, not that it matters at this age when it comes to care :)
There already is a clear plastron photo in the album linked in the first post.
It's easily recognizable as a spur-thighed / "Greek" tortoise, because of the spurs on the thighs. ;) (and of course the undivided scute above the tail, plastron markings, etc.)
Looks like a female.

Troubled42

Staffordshire, UK
I just want to give an idea of her behaviour right now!
She seems to be quite an escape artist. Popping those arms through the gaps in the cage all the way round the perimeter of it periodically to find a weak spot. She has been trying to lift it, push it and did actually manage to find a weak spot to which we've sorted now..! I did let her out the cage earlier so she could wander the garden freely whilst supervised.

She loved the broccoli so I'm hoping that's okay to feed her with, otherwise there's plenty of grass and weeds to nibble on.

I've knocked on a few doors and I'm not having any luck. The heat over the last few days must of made her go on quite an adventure.
@JoesMum Would the RSCPA collect the tortoise and ultimately care for it until an owner is found? I guess I've just heard a few horror stories of where cats/dogs are only kept for so long before they... err... dispose. that would be very sad.

there also seems to be some local tortoise keepers who offer to take tortoises in for safety / would look after it better than I could. Again, its just ensuring these are legit and that they won't actually just keep someone elses pet forever.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I just want to give an idea of her behaviour right now!
She seems to be quite an escape artist. Popping those arms through the gaps in the cage all the way round the perimeter of it periodically to find a weak spot. She has been trying to lift it, push it and did actually manage to find a weak spot to which we've sorted now..! I did let her out the cage earlier so she could wander the garden freely whilst supervised.

She loved the broccoli so I'm hoping that's okay to feed her with, otherwise there's plenty of grass and weeds to nibble on.

I've knocked on a few doors and I'm not having any luck. The heat over the last few days must of made her go on quite an adventure.
@JoesMum Would the RSCPA collect the tortoise and ultimately care for it until an owner is found? I guess I've just heard a few horror stories of where cats/dogs are only kept for so long before they... err... dispose. that would be very sad.

there also seems to be some local tortoise keepers who offer to take tortoises in for safety / would look after it better than I could. Again, its just ensuring these are legit and that they won't actually just keep someone elses pet forever.
RSPCA Possibly. Whereabouts in the UK are you?. I may be able to tag someone to help out either by taking the tort or knowing who will.

You will find that this tort is used to an entire garden to roam in and if they can see out then they want out. Solid walls/fences are better than wire. They also live in hope that where the head fits then the shell will follow :rolleyes:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There already is a clear plastron photo in the album linked in the first post.
It's easily recognizable as a spur-thighed / "Greek" tortoise, because of the spurs on the thighs. ;) (and of course the undivided scute above the tail, plastron markings, etc.)
Looks like a female.
Ah got it. Yes definitely female Greek :)

Troubled42

Staffordshire, UK
RSPCA Possibly. Whereabouts in the UK are you?. I may be able to tag someone to help out either by taking the tort or knowing who will.

You will find that this tort is used to an entire garden to roam in and if they can see out then they want out. Solid walls/fences are better than wire. They also live in hope that where the head fits then the shell will follow :rolleyes:

I'm in Staffordshire, near Burton-upon-trent, Derby, Tamworth, Lichfield, Birmingham, etc.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
G&D-Reptiles Rescue -Stoke on Trent
https://www.hd-reptiles.co.uk/g-d-reptiles-rescue-and-re-homing-centre/

Proteus Reptile Trust - Dudley
http://www.proteusreptiletrust.org/home

Central England Reptile Rescue - Redditch
http://www.cerr.co.uk/

Birmingham Reptile Rescue
http://www.birminghamreptilerescue.moonfruit.com/

Reds Reptile Rescue Ilkeston, Derbyshire
http://www.redsreptilerescue.co.uk/

Shelled Warriors Forum
It's more UK based than TFO. Personally I don't like it as much as I found it poorly moderated and newbies get attacked too frequently. However, you may find the owner or suggestions of local help through there
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/

Last edited:

Troubled42

Staffordshire, UK
Well, after some searching round it appears a neighbour knew another neighbour that had lost a tortoise! A worried owner no more and this tort has returned home.

Apparently it was 55 years old!

One last nap in my care;

U7HNKzw.jpg

I do miss her and checking how shes doing in the garden for all two mornings that she was with us! but hey, shes home now.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice, its much appreciated. I guess this is also good bye from me... unless one day another tortoise happens to randomly wander into my garden :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, after some searching round it appears a neighbour knew another neighbour that had lost a tortoise! A worried owner no more and this tort has returned home.

Apparently it was 55 years old!

One last nap in my care;

U7HNKzw.jpg

I do miss her and checking how shes doing in the garden for all two mornings that she was with us! but hey, shes home now.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice, its much appreciated. I guess this is also good bye from me... unless one day another tortoise happens to randomly wander into my garden :)
I am so glad there is a happy ending! I wasn't far out with my age guesses then :)

We would have been devastated if this had been Joe... and so grateful that someone like you found him. Thank you and well done :)