I just found a surprise Russian Tort hatchling in my unused outdoor pen!

reach.marypm

I am beyond excited!!! This has never happened to me! I have a male Sheldon and a female Shelby who had to have been around 10 years old when I adopted them. They normally live in an 8x8 foot pen in my backyard. Every year they laid eggs (only 3-4) but none hatched so I figured it just was never going to happen in the climate that I live in. I have had Sheldon and Shelby for 8 years so that would make them around 18 years old or older. Well this year I took them to work with me at the Youth Center I work at, to act as therapy animals. I only brought them home for easter. Shelby laid a clutch of 4 eggs at my job so I bought an incubator and placed the eggs in there (where they still are). My plan today was to clean out the empty pens, replace the doors, put in a few more layers of sand and soil and plant some edibles so that I can bring Sheldon and Shelby home when the incubated eggs hatch and use my office pen for the babies. Well as I was clearing out the outdoor pen I was shocked to fine this adorable perfect little baby!!! Its name is Miracle Nash :) I looked but I couldn't find any more...but tomorrow I will look a bit closer after I some of the brush from the left side of the pen.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Congrats! ! ! ! !Yes.... I will be delighted to see a picture of that perfect baby.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
How exciting!! Please post a picture. We love pictures. Keep checking every day as more could come to the surface. Last year I missed two nests and for around a week I was finding babies. They are so little and if they are not walking around it is hard to spot them. Get on your hands and knees and carefully check around.