i have very sick lil kids...i need some opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Dakota
i have a soon to be 4 year old and a 2 1/2 year old that was born 16 weeks early and has severe lung issues...ok thats the one sentace story :p they have had a terttable cough for about a month and today my son(the one with lung prob) hes been coughing sooo much hes already puked about 15 times today...at first (a few weeks ago) it was a really wet junky cough and he wld choke on it and puke but now its a nast dry cough thats really bringin him down..every few min cough attack and puke....ive been trying everything!! i have water boiling with tyme and eucoliptus goin in it i have a humidifyer goin in every room..he gets nebulizers every4 hours and 3 different inhalers 2 of them are 2x day the other one is as needed every 4 hours... i need somthing more herbal i think or something..i duno what to do i havnt slept in days for more than a cple hours stayin up all night waiting to go check on him and hes blue...i know its a scary/wrong thought but ive seen him do it at least a hundred times ..hes a special case not the normal stuff works for him it needs to be stronger usually.. im soo worried about my lil guy do you huys have any old school things that you think might help?? im willing to try anything at this point(ive tried alot). really ANYTHING you think might work.... ~thanks Kaila.....

oh and i have taken them to the dr a cple times and they are no help..just keep telling me to keep up the good work ..well its not workin.... and i cant live from 3 hours sleep everyday forever.....hes a fighter but i can tell this cough is starting to kick all of our butts!

anybody have anything i could try!?.... this sucks

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I used to get sinus infections about 3 times a year. I have not had one in about 2 1/2 years. It is all thanks to my Sunrider Herbal foods. They have also helped my dog. If he dose not eat them he can not go for walks. If he eats them he can jump on the high captains bed in my office. PM me your address and I will send you a video if you want mor info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would take him to the emergency. Different doctor, different opinion and care and hopefully different meds.
I also seen a nasal spray that one of the doc from the show The Doctors recommended. I don't remember the name of it, the pharmacist would probably though. It gets the mucus out. I know sometimes when I get a bad cold, the mucus in my nose and throat makes me cough so bad I feel my head is going to explode.
Good luck, feeling bad for the poor little guy:(
Keep us updated.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Laura said:
is it whopping cough?
too young to suck on a lozenge.. so...??

No its not whooping cough...I think its RSV.... he had it befor when he was really small and had to be put in the hospital for a few days...
but the drs dont know what it is..so they keep telling me to treat the symptoms..so cough syrup for the cough, tylonal if they have a fever,allergy med for runny nose and stuff..his inhalers and nebs and chest rub and plenty of water and fluids......im soo frustrated and i have been giving them basic hard candies once in a while they just chew them up right away so i dont want to give them real cough drops with meds in them.. it does seem to help for a cple mins.....

wellington said:
I would take him to the emergency. Different doctor, different opinion and care and hopefully different meds.
I also seen a nasal spray that one of the doc from the show The Doctors recommended. I don't remember the name of it, the pharmacist would probably though. It gets the mucus out. I know sometimes when I get a bad cold, the mucus in my nose and throat makes me cough so bad I feel my head is going to explode.
Keep us updated.

no its not whooping cough.. and i did call the emergency room crying in frustration this AM and they told me if he continuosly vomits like this for 24 hours then to bring him it or if hes struggleing to breath wich hes not its a dry gagging cough now.....so what 6 hours of constant choking and coughing and puking isnt enuf....grrr im trying to get them to snap ..hes the mone im most worried about my daughter is tough and handles sickness well.... he wont take any liquid med he just spits it out or pukes it up on purpos.....

sorry about all the typos...im to tired to care right now:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lie to the emergency room about how long it's been. For the future. Never call the emergency first if you feel you need or want to go in. I have always been told, that if they can, they will tell you to do this do that or wait until this or that. I know many nurses how confirm. Sometimes, you just need to show up to get the help you need.

Also, vicks vapor rub, (not an off brand, they suck)might help. Be sure to Put it on his forehead, bridge of nose, throat, chest, and back between shoulder blades.

Kvoigt said:
Laura said:
is it whopping cough?
too young to suck on a lozenge.. so...??

No its not whooping cough...I think its RSV.... he had it befor when he was really small and had to be put in the hospital for a few days...
but the drs dont know what it is..so they keep telling me to treat the symptoms..so cough syrup for the cough, tylonal if they have a fever,allergy med for runny nose and stuff..his inhalers and nebs and chest rub and plenty of water and fluids......im soo frustrated and i have been giving them basic hard candies once in a while they just chew them up right away so i dont want to give them real cough drops with meds in them.. it does seem to help for a cple mins.....

wellington said:
Keep us updated.

no its not whooping cough.. and i did call the emergency room crying in frustration this AM and they told me if he continuosly vomits like this for 24 hours then to bring him it or if hes struggleing to breath wich hes not its a dry gagging cough now.....so what 6 hours of constant choking and coughing and puking isnt enuf....grrr im trying to get them to snap ..hes the mone im most worried about my daughter is tough and handles sickness well.... he wont take any liquid med he just spits it out or pukes it up on purpos.....

sorry about all the typos...im to tired to care right now:(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am no doctor by any sense of the word. My son had rsv when he was just a couple months before his second birthday...he had been home all the time before that age and had never been exposed to any other children power germs..so at about that time we went through a divorce so I had to start him at a daycare center...poor angel..he was like fresh meat to the mega children germs...he caught the germs that brought on the rsv ....I had to do the nebulator every four hours and also that icky pink chalky antibiotic stuff...I found that I could mix it in with a chocolate shake type drink and he would drink it in on the times he did not want to take it....also..from what you say here his lungs are prone to ailment...and if he is that packed with mucks..have you tried to turn off all the humidifiers and boiling water and let him dry up a bit...seems like I would try dry...in the old days folks with breathing problems would take retreat to dry arid parts of the world to allow things to dry and clear out???? I hope your little trooper finds some relief...and you can do it...I understand the short moments of sleep...really I do...you can do it!!!!!

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
wellington said:
Lie to the emergency room about how long it's been. For the future. Never call the emergency first if you feel you need or want to go in. I have always been told, that if they can, they will tell you to do this do that or wait until this or that. I know many nurses how confirm. Sometimes, you just need to show up to get the help you need.

Also, vicks vapor rub, (not an off brand, they suck)might help. Be sure to Put it on his forehead, bridge of nose, throat, chest, and back between shoulder blades.

the thing is my isurance will not cover emergency room visits unless its abroken bone or life or death..for real...and its over 500 just to walkin the door n i DO NOT have that kind of $$...im already in debt bad with medical bill for my husbands kidney surgery 3 years ago.... and we are putting the vics everywhere! in armpit on the feet with sox on front and back of chest under his nose...i think hes had a vics bath for a week lol...i just got them to take a nap...so maybe now they will sleep some...i have him propped up on the couch all comfy :) i really hope this passes soon....after 30 days of anything it gets old....

ascott said:
I am no doctor by any sense of the word. My son had rsv when he was just a couple months before his second birthday...he had been home all the time before that age and had never been exposed to any other children power germs..so at about that time we went through a divorce so I had to start him at a daycare center...poor angel..he was like fresh meat to the mega children germs...he caught the germs that brought on the rsv ....I had to do the nebulator every four hours and also that icky pink chalky antibiotic stuff...I found that I could mix it in with a chocolate shake type drink and he would drink it in on the times he did not want to take it....also..from what you say here his lungs are prone to ailment...and if he is that packed with mucks..have you tried to turn off all the humidifiers and boiling water and let him dry up a bit...seems like I would try dry...in the old days folks with breathing problems would take retreat to dry arid parts of the world to allow things to dry and clear out???? I hope your little trooper finds some relief...and you can do it...I understand the short moments of sleep...really I do...you can do it!!!!!

ive tried the mixed meds in flavered drinks and choc...its not gna fly with him and i have been boiling water with(peppermint and tyme) herbs in it... ive listend to his lungs and they sound pretty clear(ive had lots of training and practice when he was in the NICU they showed me what to listen for and stuff) it went from a nasty wet phlemy cough to a dry constant every breath cough... he hasnt coughed in about 10 min...and thats awsome but he is also propped up and sleeping......thanks for all the advise and encouragment every1!!! im trying...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you tried to suction out the mucous?

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
emysemys said:
Have you tried to suction out the mucous?

theres not enough to suction out anymore?? it seems like to me this the the hell b4 the end....like its trying to dry out and leave??i dont know... right now im fighting the not as mucousy cough that is thick enough in small amounts for him to cough his lil lungs out till he pukes. like it just wont come out and if it does or not hes gna puke from either coughing or choking of the phlem..... not sure how elce to say it...hes sleeping semi content im undecided if i try n nap or do my severly neglected dishes.... or just sit on TFO :p lol this has been a long long month.....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leave the dishes, they will wait for you, unfortunately:( Nap or relax with TFO. The propping his upper body is good. I remembered when I read it on your post, that I had to sleep like that one time for a week in order to not cough so much. Sucks when your a stomach sleeper like me. Better days are close. Hang in there. Like ascott said, you can do it and we are all here when you need to vent, *****, complain or even laugh:p:D

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
well the nap didnt last long..he coughed himself awake...sent the hubby on a *Rockstar* run....i need energy to make dinner.... then i guess dishes since indeed they are still waiting :p for me to wash them...

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry you are going through this. My daughter has had RSV numerouse times and I know it sucks. As they get older they just label it asthma.
Have you tried Vick's on his feet with socks? It really helps with coughs at night. Sounds like you tried everything else. Your right it does get worse before it gets better.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
There seems to be a terrible cough going around this year...my boyfriend coughed for weeks on end--no sleep, almost made himself puke with all the coughing. We tried EVERYTHING. The best 'over the counter' thing that offered some relief are these fantastic tablets by VICKS/store brand that you put in the shower with you and they release awesome vapors. But in the end we had to get RX cough medicine and an inhaler for him.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
well my night went like hell as i figuered it would...my daughter Penny lane(4 years old in 2 weeks) she puked ALL over her bed!! OMG she is usually really good at making it to the bathroom.... gross so yea that was the start and end of puke thank god!!! i think ive seen enough for a life time!!! but my son had spiked a fever of 103.6 ...even after tylonal or motrin it just would not go down..by morning it was 104.something ....got him in to see the doc again this AM(took 2 hours) the tested him for influenza and stuff even took chest xrays..hes was back to really rattley and phlemy...but to make a rally long story short they dnt know what he has and yet again told me they are just going to treat the symptoms with steroids and antibiotics again......he seems better already he does not take meds well as i prev. mentioned so the gave him a shot of steroids at the clinic and it already seems to be helping...i hate that he needs those types of things...im not really confident in our medical system anymore. hope we are on the right track now !! :) thanks guys ~Kaila

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If there is any other hospital that you can go to....go! At this point, I would take him to a different hospital and a different doctor. My third son has asthma, and when I thought it was getting bad, I would take him to the emergency, and go in screaming that my son couldn't breathe. They took him right in. IMHO, he's just too little to be sent home. I would just find another doctor. Forget about any house work, or cooking. When he finally goes to sleep, lay down with him and sleep too. I know how you must feel, and my prayers are with you.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
terryo said:
If there is any other hospital that you can go to....go! At this point, I would take him to a different hospital and a different doctor. My third son has asthma, and when I thought it was getting bad, I would take him to the emergency, and go in screaming that my son couldn't breathe. They took him right in. IMHO, he's just too little to be sent home. I would just find another doctor. Forget about any house work, or cooking. When he finally goes to sleep, lay down with him and sleep too. I know how you must feel, and my prayers are with you.

i dont have any other place i can take him the best one i wld prefer him to go to is more than 3 hours away but he has a good pulminary dr there but i need a refural to see him....he seems high spirited right now hes actually playing...all day yesterday he did not eat or really move ...but hes been drinking good and i got him to eat lunch today :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know as a Mother our inclination is to put our needs last, but be sure to take care of you. Get away as soon as you can, even if it's a walk around the block for some fresh air. It sounds like he is improving, which is such wonderful news. Can somebody (husband, family, friend, neighbor) watch them long enough for you to get a good nap in?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am so sorry your baby is so sick. It is an awful thing for a mom to go through. There is nothing worse than seeing your child hurt :(

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Just to leave n update to those who are following..he is doing better ..fever is gone for the most part..he still has a cough that goes from wet to dry through out the day? its weird...hes on a 10 day regimen of the antibiotic & 3 inhalers & a nebulizer(2 out of the 4 are steroid...they dont tell you all the time but they rot kids teeth gives them bad dental problems i only had 1 dr. warn me about this and told me to MAKE sure and rince his mouth every time) and as much as i hate giving them to him im hoping they are helping.. his appetite is still low but he is eating and picking on big sister so he is feeling alot better we are just not there yet...he could still develope pnemonia over night with out any warning.... so its still scary but we are praying he just continues to get better.....~Kaila:)

Status
Not open for further replies.