I have some questions

MeganHudson

Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont
Hello this is chopper, 4 year old African sulcata and I'm his 2nd owner. Sorry for holding him like a sandwich to take the photos lol but I'm not sure actually is chopper is a him or a her. Also, what age do you build an outdoor enclosure for this type of tortoise ? Is my chopper a Mr. Or Mrs. ? Thanks for reading. I am hoping to learn a lot here 20210610_114753.jpg20210610_114814.jpg20210610_114758.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chopper certainly looks big enough to live outside in a safe enclosure during warm weather. Is that aquarium the current home?

P.S. welcome!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi and welcome to TFO!

The above thread has most of what you need to know about living with, and caring for, Chopper.

Give it a read, ask more questions, rinse and repeat!

Jamie

MeganHudson

Beaumont
Hi and welcome to TFO!

The above thread has most of what you need to know about living with, and caring for, Chopper.

Give it a read, ask more questions, rinse and repeat!

Jamie
Thank you! I appreciate some guidance

MeganHudson

Beaumont
Chopper certainly looks big enough to live outside in a safe enclosure during warm weather. Is that aquarium the current home?

P.S. welcome!
Yes, for now. It's a 60 gal that is making due, we were hit hard financially but have plans for a large outdoor enclosure. We are currently in california so plenty of great, warm days. However coyotes and gophers are a huge problem in my area. So we need to make it very safe and smart. Do you know if my shell friend is male or female ? Previous owner did not know and I'm trying to make a definite conclusion

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tort is already pyramided. All you can do now is try to get it too stop and new growth grow in smooth. If you do this when he is much larger, you won't hardly notice the pyramiding.
60 gallons is way too small. It will cause him muscle problems if not changed soon.
So far he looks like a she. However it's obvious she got a ruff start and that may have slowed the growth and maturity. She could still become a he.
If you can get some cinder blocks or 2x6x10 or 2x6x12 lumber make an outdoor enclosure two high whichever you are using, you can get her outside for the days and let her sleep in the aquarium at night, but make the aquarium 80 with 80%humidity. When you can, enlarge the outdoor enclosure and build a heated night box. Member Tom has a thread on how to build it and what to add for heat and humidity.

MeganHudson

Beaumont
Your tort is already pyramided. All you can do now is try to get it too stop and new growth grow in smooth. If you do this when he is much larger, you won't hardly notice the pyramiding.
60 gallons is way too small. It will cause him muscle problems if not changed soon.
So far he looks like a she. However it's obvious she got a ruff start and that may have slowed the growth and maturity. She could still become a he.
If you can get some cinder blocks or 2x6x10 or 2x6x12 lumber make an outdoor enclosure two high whichever you are using, you can get her outside for the days and let her sleep in the aquarium at night, but make the aquarium 80 with 80%humidity. When you can, enlarge the outdoor enclosure and build a heated night box. Member Tom has a thread on how to build it and what to add for heat and humidity.
Not sure if my reply went to you but I wanted to say thank you for answering

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My guess is female with that shorter tail - but I could be wrong.
If you do a search for a heated night box by Tom you'll find a good design for outdoors when the temps drop.