I have no self discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I just ordered a female captive bred baby dumerils boa. After extensive research of course, I never stop learning. This was going to be something for when I move to my own place first but... as I said. No. Self. Discipline. I'm so ashamed. :p

Luke225

5 Year Member
Weda737 said:
I just ordered a female captive bred baby dumerils boa. After extensive research of course, I never stop learning. This was going to be something for when I move to my own place first but... as I said. No. Self. Discipline. I'm so ashamed. :p

Don't become an animal hoarder and make sure you can take care of them for the long run. Otherwise you should not be ashamed!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Just don't give in to the temptation to buy a black mamba. :p

Ditto!

But congrats on a new snake. Dumerils are really cool. I think you'll enjoy her.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
You will NOT be disappointed! They have a great disposition and get just the right size.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Self control shmelf control!!! You only live once! Make the most of it! I say, get to know the animals we share our planet with. :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
Self control shmelf control!!! You only live once! Make the most of it! I say, get to know the animals we share our planet with. :D

I don't know, man. Pets are wonderful, but you still gotta pay the bills, ya know?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Hoarding won't be an issue, I don't want so many that I can't spend time with them all and give them the one on one they need. I don't know how I do it, it probably helps that my fiance is home all the time and helps me take care of them all, he's so awesome. I have everything I need for it already, except rats, I only breed mice. Guess I'll just have to order some frozen. Oh and they sold out of the babies 2 days ago, I was sad. So for just about $20 more, I'll be getting an adult. I just hope it doesn't want to eat my little dogs... This will be the largest snake I've had thus far.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hello there, i must say, if i had more room id have more pets! enjoy youself.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
harris said:
You will NOT be disappointed! They have a great disposition and get just the right size.
That's exactly what I keep reading, get a good size and reluctant to bite. I'm so excited, I have a feeling she'll be one of the special ones, one that I can introduce to people and educate some of the snake haters around here.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Just don't give in to the temptation to buy a black mamba. :p
lol Thus far, I've had no real interest in black mambas, some other venomous snakes though... Ah! Don't give me any ideas! I've always felt a strange affection for Gaboon vipers.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
She's in transit! I hope I get to see her before I have to go to work tomorrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Tom said:

I don't know, man. Pets are wonderful, but you still gotta pay the bills, ya know?

Ahhhh... (dismissive...) Bills schmills...

:D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I am getting a little worried about the cost of rats, I only breed mice. I hate breeding rats, they smell like cow poop and are quite a bit harder to um... euthanize. I could very well do it if it comes down to it, did it before. I keep reading that rats are more nutritious than mice anyway.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics!

As far as breeding rats goes, for a single snake, you shouldn't need to breed them at all. You can find a local rat breeder, go in on a bulk order with other local keepers, stock up at an expo... I have 9 snakes, 3 of them eating rats, plus my roommate's 3 rat-eaters, and it wouldn't be at all worth it to me/us to breed rats. If you don't want to breed rats, then don't. But an adult Dum will definitely need rats. Mice aren't nearly adequate, and it would take several in one sitting to fill up a Dumeril's.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
lol yeah, I've got an ad out looking for a local breeder now, and as far as my comment about rats being more nutritious, I wasn't planning to feed her mice, lol that's like giving me an M&M. (we have a little joke in my house about when I have excess mice and give some pinkies to my adult corn, we call them m&m's) But I was thinking maybe rat pups would be better for my smaller snakes than mice are. I'm still concerned about her trying to eat my small dogs and cats though. I kinda hope she's imprinted on rats...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Oh, I understand what you mean. Honestly, for all but the very largest (i.e. 900+ grams) corns, I think mice are best. If you fed an average adult corn snake rats, you'd have to feed them a young animal, usually much fattier and with somewhat underdeveloped bones. You can do rats, but corns tend to get overweight on them so you'd have to be careful.

Ah, yeah, that's definitely worrisome! My roommate's boas are 6 and 8 ft, and her dogs are both little chihuahua mixes--small enough to be mistaken for food by a hungry enough 8' boa! Our "protocol" is to keep the little dogs out of the room when we have to bring out the big snakes. Works pretty well.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I actually experimented with rat pups for a while. They're good for putting on weight, but you have to consider that a rat pup has less bone and other minerals than an adult mouse. I noticed that my adult colubrids were getting a little chubby from eating rat pups as opposed from them eating mice. I surmised it was because the calcium:meat ratio of their prey was off. I switched back to mice. Just something to think about.

However, I do agree...an adult Dumeril's is going to need rats. LOL...I also agree that keeping and breeding rats stinks! Have you considered just ordering frozen in bulk? Or is that a space or money issue?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I just don't think we'd go through a bulk order fast enough, and to be honest... I don't think a freezer full of rats will go over very well lol.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Totally understandable. Here's an idea if you're still not wild about raising live ones. Browse Craigslist, etc. for a cheap, used little freezer that you could use specifically for that purpose. That's what I did so I didn't have frozen rodents in our regular freezer next to the "people food." If you got the space in the garage or laundry room, might be something to consider.

If you want to save on shipping, you may want to check out the next reptile expo. Usually you can pre-order with the company before the show, then you can just go pick them up. Another way to save $$$. Only feasible if there are reptile expos near to your area.

Also, an adult Dumeril's isn't going to eat as often as a baby. Perhaps every 2-3 weeks. SO you may not burn through rats as often as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.