I have lots of FLIES around my tortoise enclose even when it is cleaned every day need HELP ...

Kevn Horton

Location (City and/or State)
Tehachapi, ca
I have lots of FLIES around my tortoise enclose even when it is cleaned every day need HELP ...
what is the best way to get rid of the flies .... we keep the area cleaned as possible but they follow the beast around all day ........ HELP

billytort

Uk
Your tortoise could have a flesh wound give it a good check over

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoise anatomy is such that poop (scientific term) sometimes builds up around the tail. Some tortoises need the area between shell and back legs cleaned out almost daily.

Kevn Horton

Tehachapi, ca
Are they flies?
Is it possible that they are gnats from the substrate?
(Gnats are very small)
no these are house flies just like the ones that were around my horses when we had them we use horse fries spray but not sure it will be good for my shelly

Brian Perry

what is the best way to get rid of the flies .... we keep the area cleaned as possible but they follow the beast around all day ........ HELP
I keep my tortoises in the garage, and at certain times during the summer, I also have an issue with flies. I hang various forms of sticky strips and that suppresses the fly population to an acceptable level. Eventually, they go away.

Krazyturtlelady

South Carolina
I have not had problems with flies around my tortoises but also have horses and chickens. One year we had a lot of problems with flies in general. I purchased some fly bags and hung them around the yard. They do smell horribly but will get rid of a large amount of them. The glue strips are good but if it is a big problem those might work better.