I have a yellowfoot w/URI

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I have a yellowfoot, 12" , who I'm pretty sure has an URI. I've had since a baby and never had any issues before. I called a reptile vet for an appointment, but I couldn’t get a vet appt. till 2/4. I’ve been giving her soaks and putting her under 150watt ceramic lamp. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just keep her enclosure 85°F day and night. I think your 150 watt lamp might be overkill. The overall 85°F can take the place of the lamp. How's her appetite?

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Just keep her enclosure 85°F day and night. I think your 150 watt lamp might be overkill. The overall 85°F can take the place of the lamp. How's her appetite?
She will only eat fruit. She leaves all greens and any protein I offer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got my baby YF tortoises to eat greens by adding Gerber strained fruit to chopped up greens an mixing it up good.

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Sure, see attached. I tried the baby food and she walked away. However I could not find the strained fruit and just used regular mango and kiwi baby food but it might have been the wrong texture. I’ll try a different store today.

5017DE2C-480C-4A39-91A4-D2C3B5EEF395.jpegDCA3D573-4975-48EC-85D4-7554AA5B8152.jpeg

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
When I was trying to get my tortoises to eat Missouri they’ve always eaten greens but I tried a gecko food mixture and that seem to work pretty well

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The flavors you found are fine. I like to use the more exotic flavors. You need to cut up the greens into bite sized pieces then add a little of the baby food and stir it all up. Because your tortoise eats fruit and not greens, you need to make it heavy on the fruit. Or put what he's used to eating in a blender then add it to the chopped up greens.

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pa.
The flavors you found are fine. I like to use the more exotic flavors. You need to cut up the greens into bite sized pieces then add a little of the baby food and stir it all up. Because your tortoise eats fruit and not greens, you need to make it heavy on the fruit. Or put what he's used to eating in a blender then add it to the chopped up greens.

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I tried again today to get my YF to try the greens by really putting on the kiwi. I chopped the greens very small and mashed the kiwi on top. She started to eat, but ended up only eating 2 bites and walking away. I will keep after her everyday hoping she will get hungry enough and give in. But she’s very stubborn! I also wondered if the crumble sold by Kapodilo farms r something she might try along with my RF? Has anyone tried those for YF? She will not eat mazuri.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
The best wany to get them eating greens that I am almost always successful with my imported yellow foots is to mix all organic apple sauce make sure no extra sugars into there greens and put fruit under the greens with the apples sauce on them and that may work also try Pangea gecko food powder mix and add it on the fruit to get them use to the smell and then put it on there greens those strays that work for hope it helps

Mitch4

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pa.
The best wany to get them eating greens that I am almost always successful with my imported yellow foots is to mix all organic apple sauce make sure no extra sugars into there greens and put fruit under the greens with the apples sauce on them and that may work also try Pangea gecko food powder mix and add it on the fruit to get them use to the smell and then put it on there greens those strays that work for hope it helps