I have a two year old leopard tortoise named Jumoke. (penis prolapse)

Jumoke's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
Clarksville, TN
This afternoon when I picked him up he had a swollen penis I put him in a bath of 84 degrees to soak a while, It still did not go down. Or back in. I called the vet they were closing. She stated to put a sugar water paste on his penis every 15 to 30 mins and it should be able to help with the swelling and it should go back in but it still hasn't. I am so worried. I have put paper down and plan on taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. But is there anything else I can do to help him?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Hope things are all back in place this morning. It’s common for male torts to flash their penis as they develop, but not good for it to get stuck out for an extended period of time (called a prolapse). You definitely want to keep the tortoise clean, off rough substrate, and give long warm water soaks. Usually the tortoise is able to retract the extended gland.

Sugar coatings (of the penis) have been used to help halt this. Here is the thinking behind using sugar:

➡️ If you have difficulty reducing the prolapse, apply granulated sugar to the prolapsed penis. Let the sugar sit for 15 minutes and then attempt to reduce the prolapse again. The sugar will absorb the extra water in the prolapse and cause the prolapse to shrink. You must use granulated sugar. Keep the area clean & moist.

Good luck & give us an update this morning.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are you sure your tort isn't older or maybe a female with a prolapse?
I 'm wondering if it's a bit young to tell the sex for sure.
Maybe a picture would help members give you the best advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A prolapse needs to be kept wet/moist the whole time it is stuck out. Do not let it dry out.
Hope this has already been fixed and everything is fine
If it is a true prolapse you need to figure out why it happened. Likely straining caused it. You need to make sure all temps, humidity, diet, basking and hydration is all dead on according to Tom's caresheet on this forum.
Daily warm soaks for little ones is a must specially when prolapse has happened.

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
Greetings. Hope things are all back in place this morning. It’s common for male torts to flash their penis as they develop, but not good for it to get stuck out for an extended period of time (called a prolapse). You definitely want to keep the tortoise clean, off rough substrate, and give long warm water soaks. Usually the tortoise is able to retract the extended gland.

Sugar coatings (of the penis) have been used to help halt this. Here is the thinking behind using sugar:

➡️ If you have difficulty reducing the prolapse, apply granulated sugar to the prolapsed penis. Let the sugar sit for 15 minutes and then attempt to reduce the prolapse again. The sugar will absorb the extra water in the prolapse and cause the prolapse to shrink. You must use granulated sugar. Keep the area clean & moist.

I woke up through out the night and it is still prolapsed. He is now in a warm soak between 80 and 90 degrees. We have no exotic vets in the area that can help.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Paper is not going to help - the organ must remain damp. If an internal organ is stuck outside the body for long, it will begin to die from drying out and from pinching of the blood supply.

Please post a photo of your pet so that we can help you decide what is going wrong.

The sugar paste treatment works well for a priapism (stuck, engorged penis), or for a prolapsed (fallen out) length of intestine or uterus. You apply the wet sugar, wait for the organ to shrink, then gently try to put it back into the tail (then get to medical help as soon as possible).

In the meantime, keep the animal in shallow warm water to prevent the organ from drying out and dying faster.

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_091448.jpg
    IMG_20211016_091448.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20211016_091453.jpg
    IMG_20211016_091453.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20211016_091503.jpg
    IMG_20211016_091503.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We called veterinarians all morning with no one able to help him today. My Veterinarian is open tomorrow. Hopefully they can help poor Jumoke.
Just keep trying the sugar paste. Make a thick paste. Put it on and then get a wet towel and put that on it. Keep watching him. Leave that on him for some time, like an hour, making sure the towel stays wet. Whatever you do keep the prolapse wet.
Then after an hour if no change, do it again.
Make it a thick paste and put a lot on.

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
Just keep trying the sugar paste. Make a thick paste. Put it on and then get a wet towel and put that on it. Keep watching him. Leave that on him for some time, like an hour, making sure the towel stays wet. Whatever you do keep the prolapse wet.
Then after an hour if no change, do it again.
Make it a thick paste and put a lot on.
Okay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy feminine panty liners small enough for whatever species tortoise I'm treating. Make your sugar paste, put it on the pad then, making sure the paste contacts the penis, tape the pad to the tortoise. (masking tape) (you can cut the pad down to size)

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
I buy feminine panty liners small enough for whatever species tortoise I'm treating. Make your sugar paste, put it on the pad then, making sure the paste contacts the penis, tape the pad to the tortoise. (masking tape) (you can cut the pad down to size)
Thank you so much. I made him a wet sugar diaper with your idea and Saran wrap. I am terribly worried and praying my Vet will see him when they open in the Morning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Using a pad is a great idea. Just wondering though, the sugar paste won't stay wet with a dry pad. In fact the pads are made to draw moisture away from the surface. So how often should the paste be changed so the prolapse never dries out?

Jumoke's Mom

Clarksville, TN
Using a pad is a great idea. Just wondering though, the sugar paste won't stay wet with a dry pad. In fact the pads are made to draw moisture away from the surface. So how often should the paste be changed so the prolapse never dries out?
I have changed his twice in the last four hours and soaked him in-between changes. I'm still afraid it is not looking good. I really hope that the vet will see him tomorrow morning.