I have a few questions.

crtnyrc

We have a leopard tortoise that is 1.5 months old. We bought it from someone who ordered it online and then didn't want it. We've kept reptiles and tortoises before, but not one this young. I have read Tom's care sheet and am trying to follow that to a T. We've only had the tortoise for about a week.
I live in Iowa and it is very cold right now. I am battling humidity issues, but will be putting plexiglass over the tank to create a better closed chamber tomorrow. For now, I've tented tin foil over the tank. Basking is 95-100 and the ambient temp in the tank stays between 85-90 with a humidity that fluctuates between 50%-70%. I've been doing soaks in the morning and evening because of the humidity being low. The substrate is coconut coir with sphagnum moss on one end. I mist the whole thing when the tort is soaking. I have a UVB, but it is coil so I will be returning it. I have to special order a tube UVB, so it might be a week until there is UVB in the tank. We only had a tank available at such short notice, but I put paper around the bottom, so the tort can't see through. It is a 40g breeder tank.
We have been feeding endive and escarole primarily. I bought some wheat grass and planted it in the tank. The tort never seemed interested. I have ordered seeds for dandelion and other weeds and edible grasses according to the tortoise table, but I have to wait for them to grow. The first few days the tort would wake up for the soaking and poop and then be a little active and eat a lot then sleep. Pretty much like a human baby. Sleep, poop, eat, sleep, poop, eat. Yesterday, the tort was still active after a bath and pooped, but wouldn't eat. It walked around and explored the tank a lot and then went back to sleep. Today, is the same. Nothing has changed about it, except that it isn't interested in food. I should add that the tort changes areas in the tank and then goes back to sleep, so it seems like it is regulating its temps. It doesn't stay in one spot all the time. I am a chronic worrier. Should I be worried that it sleeps all the time? How long should it not eat before I get too worried? I would expect it to be normal for it to not eat after being shipped and moved, but to stop eating a week after being settled seems a little strange. I've never had a hatchling, though, so I don't really know what normal behavior would be. I've been lurking here reading posts and everyone seems very knowledgable. If there is something I should do differently, please tell me. If not, please just tell me when my worrying is founded : )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That all sounds pretty good.

I think one soak a day would be adequate.

More variety in the diet, but you've made some good initial choices. Try some spring mix.

I see two main possibilities:

1. Its possible the coil bulb burnt its eyes. Appetite is often the first thing to go in that case. It should recover in a few days.
2. Do you know anything about how the hatchling was started. Read this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

crtnyrc

1. That could be. We used the coil bulb for 1 day.
2. HFS scares the heck out of me. The only thing I really know is that guy ordered it from undergroundreptiles.com. He had it for 3 days before selling it to us.

How long can it go without eating? It is 1.75 inches long and weighs about 30g. I will get spring mix tonight when we go to the store. We live far from major stores and produce is hard to come by in the winter. Will not having any uvb at all be harmful for a week?

Also, is it normal for them to sleep so much?

Last edited:

crtnyrc

Also, the guy we bought it from seemed very knowledgeable. He had a good setup and actually sent me your care sheet. He just said that he bought the wrong species when he ordered and that's why he didn't want this one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. That could be. We used the coil bulb for 1 day.
2. HFS scares the heck out of me. The only thing I really know is that guy ordered it from undergroundreptiles.com. He had it for 3 days before selling it to us.

How long can it go without eating? It is 1.75 inches long and weighs about 30g. I will get spring mix tonight when we go to the store. We live far from major stores and produce is hard to come by in the winter. Will not having any uvb at all be harmful for a week?

Underground does not have a good reputation here. I will refrain from comment as I have never dealt with them and know noting of their business practices. Other members have related bad experiences to me.

It is difficult to predict how long a baby can go without food. There are a lot of determining factors. A few days should not be a big deal. Try doing the baby food soaks. Mix a jar of carrot or yam baby food into the soaking water. Let the tortoise soak for a good 45 minutes and keep it warm during the soak.

The person "ordered the wrong species"? But at the same time he seemed knowledgeable? Something smells fishy here... I hope that everything works out just fine and that you have a wonderful new pet for decades to come.

crtnyrc

I have read about them, too. I wouldn't have chosen them if I was ordering.

If it doesn't eat tomorrow morning or this afternoon, I will do the baby food soak.

I agree. It seemed weird. Hopefully, everything will be okay. I will certainly do my best to do everything right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you know how much sleeping is normal for them?

Tough question. A lot of sleeping is normal, but are you able to judge the difference between normal sleeping for a baby and lethargy? Only raising a whole bunch of them will give you a baseline with which to assess "normal".

crtnyrc

That makes sense. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. You have already been given great advice. It is very impressive that you got such a good enclosure up n going so quickly. Hoping for the best for your little one.

crtnyrc

Yeah, we had a lot of the supplies already since I have a Russian. My husband wanted his own tortoise that would be a bigger guy, so we had been researching Leopard care before we got this little one. It was a fluke, really. The guy posted it in a pets for sale group on Facebook in our state. I would almost always get a pet from someone who didn't want it than order one, so we drove over 6 hours to pick it up . I am really hoping that it will live. I feel helpless and my nerves are shot worrying if I am doing everything okay.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Courtney!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hope your little perts up soon and starts eating like a little piggy.

crtnyrc

Thank you, Carol. It sleeps a lot, then walks around. I think it might have been because of the bulb. It doesn't open its eyes a whole lot. It took a bite out of some escarole this morning, then acted like it didn't taste good. We are going to do the baby food soak later this afternoon.

crtnyrc

We did the carrot baby food soak tonight and the little fella perked up and ate a little bit of greens afterward.

So, I've been doing a lot more researching and looking around. This fellow who sold us the tortoise was definitely shady. I do believe we have ourselves a little sulcata, not a leopard like we were told. We don't mind. We own our home and will be prepared to create the spaces it will need as it grows. We are in love with our little tortoise and will do what it takes to keep him and keep him healthy!

crtnyrc

It is sleeping on the moss in the corner, but here is a picture. What do you think I have? Also, does it's shell look okay?

10906100_10153084328109273_1414586086978250853_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am horrible at this. Always doubt myself,but think you might be right. Hoping someone with more experience comes a long.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am not an expert either, but it looks more like a sulcata then a leopard to me. The good news is the care is basically the same :)