I have 30 turtles and tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello All.

I have 30 turtles and tortoises. I would like to expand and hopefully start up a successful breeding program to jump species, especially thoses in desperate need.

For turtles... Red Eared, Soft Shelled, 3 Toed, Eastern Box, and Ornate

For tortoises I have... Sulcatas, Deserts, Russians, and 1 Leopard

I have bred deserts, and I have permits for them by the Depart of Fish and Game of California. I have box sexes of species for Sulcata, Desert, and Russian.

If anyone would like to provide input, advice, animals, donations, land, food, supplies, or would like to visit, please let me know!

Thank you for your time. I am located in the northern part of the Los Angeles County, in the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys.

B

Bansh88

Any interest in a possible trade for Hermanns? I have 2 males that I could be willing to part with.

treebeard

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Please don't breed the tortoises-there is a glut of them on the market. There are so many hatchlings dying from poor care and so many others that need to be adopted.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
As for breeding endangered species..regardless of what it is.. Tigers, Tortoises, etc..
If there is a call for them in Zoos so they dont take from the wild, ( not very common anymore and most Zoos dont deal with private parties. Takes a long time to get a great rep.)
Why are they endangered? Is there a place for them in the wild anymore? Have humans encroached or wiped them out?
Breeding them in captivty does nothing for the species in the wild. Most cant be released if rasied in captivity.
Find a Conservation project in the area where your fave tort lives. It might not necasarily be a project to protect tortoise, but if it protects the land in an area where they live but the species being focused on is say.. a clouded leopard.. then support that project. because by protecting one species in an area protects Many others as well. Its a 'Umbrella' species. www.wildnet.org is a great place to look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be very careful what you say online about breeding desert tortoises. Its against the DFG's regulations to artificially incubate or knowingly incubate desert tortoise eggs.

Yvonne

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Breeding Red eared sliders and sulcatas is not really a good idea at all. Breeding Russians would be great because they are heavily imported so having available captive born animals for an alternative may decrease the damage for wild caught.

Would you mind posting some of your sulcata pens. It would be interesting to see. And some pics of your tortoises .

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
this thread was from a long time ago but i think Cory (spikethebest) was referring to setting up breeding programs specifically for scientific research. i know he's been involved in other research projects of a similar vein.
he has posted a lot of photos of his tortoises and their setups, but again that was a while ago. try checking his post history and/or the tortoise photo forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.