I have 3 Three Toed Box Turtle looking for some help

shari_antonucci

Location (City and/or State)
Tomball Texas
I acquired him six months ago. I think it is a full-grown male He is an awesome turtle. About a week ago he stopped eating. I think it's due to the fact he wants to hibernate , I don't know much about him and I'm not sure exactly if I should allow him to. Does anyone have any advice he is very healthy and was eating very well.. This is a picture of his enclosure one side he has the substrate and the other side is water. the water is filtered and changed frequently. I also have an outside enclosure where he spends some of his time but I always bring him in at night.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2001.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2001.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 36

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Nice pics of your turtle! Box turtle frequently respond to the shorter days and cooler temps this time of year by refusing to eat and digging into the substrate. It's a natural response, but you can counter it by replicating summer in it's environment. Keep the lights and heat on for 12 to 14 hours per day and soak the turtle in 84F water several times a week. You can keep the water from cooling off by soaking them in a container near their heat source. Always use a temp gun to keep an eye on things so they dont over heat.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Definitely keep a close eye on your indoor temperatures and especially in the indoor enclosure. You may also have to resort to feeding primarily favorite foods and things that wiggle, to persuade your boxie to continue eating through the winter. Soaking in warmer water before feeding - or feeding WHILE your boxie is soaking - may help.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If you choose not to hibernate, not only should you leave UVB on for 12 to 14 hrs a day and maintain summer temps in daytime, but also provide a gentle heat overnight as well so it feels more like summer nights. Beautiful turtle you have!

shari_antonucci

Tomball Texas
Nice pics of your turtle! Box turtle frequently respond to the shorter days and cooler temps this time of year by refusing to eat and digging into the substrate. It's a natural response, but you can counter it by replicating summer in it's environment. Keep the lights and heat on for 12 to 14 hours per day and soak the turtle in 84F water several times a week. You can keep the water from cooling off by soaking them in a container near their heat source. Always use a temp gun to keep an eye on things so they dont over heat.

thank you for your help, can you please tell me how long I should soak him for at that temperature…. please

shari_antonucci

Tomball Texas
If you choose not to hibernate, not only should you leave UVB on for 12 to 14 hrs a day and maintain summer temps in daytime, but also provide a gentle heat overnight as well so it feels more like summer nights. Beautiful turtle you have!

thank you... I will do that.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
thank you for your help, can you please tell me how long I should soak him for at that temperature…. please
It all depends on how the turtle is doing. An adult turtle that is slowing down and hiding in the substrate most of the time needs more intervention and a turtle that is active and self soaks in its water pan regularly needs less. As a happy medium, aim for 30 minutes three times a week and adjust from there based on their activity level and behavior.