Location (City and/or State)
WI
What species is this?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
no....no spurs. Plus head shape and that black "mustache" are not sulcata characteristics. My curiosity is like, buzzing. Must know....:)

Plowshare tortoise, Astrochelys yniphora??? I thought those were illegal to keep.....

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a cute little babyyy :D adorable!
Is he on rabbit pellets? If yes, you should change the substrate because if he eats it, it contains too much protein and it is very dry so it can cause him eye infection.

harry moma

5 Year Member
:) Awww soo cute!! I have a tortoise and he's about 61 years of age.So he's VERY old!! :cool:

But he looks lovely,I bet you will look after him like the mother he never had.:D

sazzylouise

5 Year Member
awww he is so cute soo small too nice colourings too. congratulations
:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi wing your have an adorable tortoise but please tell us what kind he is? Like Meg I thought Plowshare tortoise, Astrochelys yniphora. Other places like China they do have Plowshare as pets. Someone just sent me a pic of one that was being sold in a market there.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Astrochelys yniphora is such a cool tortoise. The colors look similar to a sulcata, but the high dome shell shape makes it stand out. When they grow older their "horn" looks really cool, but makes it look a little difficult to eat!

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
it is a plowshare tortoise they are very rare and expensive they are cool tortoises where did you get it?

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
These are not available to the general public in the United States. Even just acquiring a permit for Radiated Tortoise (which is A LOT more common that the Ploughshare) isn't easy or cheap. I don't know anyone with any Ploughshares other than zoos. I know someone who had some a long time ago, but he put them into a breeding program with more potential.

When they are available and you have the correct permits, they are very expensive.

Many of the tortoises in Asia are illegal smuggled into the country and are cheaper there than in the United States or Europe.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
IT IS Angonoka. In China, We call Ango. The price is considered high in China which is about 1,500 USD per baby. But it is very rare to find one. The price of an adult is about a toyota corolla. Ha Ha, I think this tortoise can only be find in Asia.

THIS is the KING OF TORTOISE!!!!

As I know there are a couple adults Ango in Los Angeles. But they are not open to public. They are also some guys want to import them from Singapore and want to sell for $25,000 per baby.

jhaparth2006

5 Year Member
i think the substrate you are using are rabbit pellets..they can be 'not good' if eaten by your tort.please correct me if i am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.