I got him but can I SAVE him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, AZ
emysemys said:
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread, but it sounds like you're having success.

I use a small tub or dish pan with high sides that he can't climb out of, but a small foot print (bottom). I add warm water so it comes up to the middle of the baby's sides, then add a whole jar of Gerber strained carrots and mix it around. Then add a pinch of the worms. Leave the baby in the water for at least a half hour, but check on him frequently to be sure he hasn't tipped over. Don't hang over him. Baby turtles are prey and just want to hide when they see the big two legged monster hovering over him.

Do this every day and you will start to see an improvement in 3 days. Don't worry if the worms stay alive or not. If he wants to eat, he'll eat a dead worm.

THANKS! Tried this tonight. How many times a day do you recommend? How do you keep the water warm? A whole jar of carrots plus water will be WAY over over his head. I have been using a small butter tub...probably less than half an inch is all I can put in there. Since he can't stand up it can't be very high.

Laura said:
liquid calcium might be good too.. and sunshine if you have it and its warm

He has been getting sunshine. I have a liquid calcium spray. I have been putting a few sprays in each baby food soak. Maybe the vet can show me how to do the drops on Thursday.

lynnedit said:
I have found the baby food soaks very helpful. So happy that you got him, he has to feel better already.

I feel REALLY guilty that I waited so long. Putting human emotion to him I would say he is feeling a little better about his life. Still struggling but maybe not as hopeless.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Kim, don't feel guilty for a second. You had your hands MORE than full with saving other torts in need. It's not like you were sitting around eating cupcakes and watching animal planet. I'm just glad YOU got this guy, instead of someone else. I think we got him in time, and has a decent shot at a great life. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're using such a small container, then only use about a tablespoon of baby food. Once a day is fine. If you want to soak in plain water more often that would be ok, as he's probably dehydrated. Don't worry if the water cools off. It won't get colder than room temp.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
EMERGANCY! How do I know if he is dead!?!?! Feed him last night, put him in enclosure, didn't move all night (not unusual), wont wake upon carrot soak OR water soak! I've poked, shook, talked......NOTHING! S he gone? How long do I wait to be sure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man...that's tough! To have worked so hard only to have him die.

Its pretty hard to judge a newly dead (not stiff) baby turtle because any little movement that YOU make holding him makes it SEEM like he has moved a leg or his head.

Are his eyes sunken? Set him down then gently push a leg. If there is no movement or resistance, if he doesn't try to withdraw, he's probably dead.

I'm so sorry.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
He's gone. :*(. I've touched his head and all of his legs and all kind of soaks...nothing. :(. I'm so sad now! I should have just gotten him 3 weeks ago when I saw him. :(

Thank you all for for your help! Hopefully the last few days of his life were a little more comfortable.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'm sorry to hear this. I really thought he would turn around for you. It was already too late when you got him.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Thanks. I keep walking by his tank looking for him..and I only had him 2 days! I'm going to re-decorate my baby sullies inside enclosure today and spend some time with them. I wish there was more I could have done. His vet appointment was to tomorrow morning. :( He did get a lot of love from me in his last 2 days. It's awful that out if his entire life he only had 2 days someone gave a damn. I really hate some people!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LuckysGirl007 said:
Thanks. I keep walking by his tank looking for him..and I only had him 2 days! I'm going to re-decorate my baby sullies inside enclosure today and spend some time with them. I wish there was more I could have done. His vet appointment was to tomorrow morning. :( He did get a lot of love from me in his last 2 days. It's awful that out if his entire life he only had 2 days someone gave a damn. I really hate some people!

I'm feeling a bit angry as well. I just don't understand how people can be so clueless. I mean, the poor thing couldn't even walk. Shouldn't that a sign to any thinking person to seek help or advice? So upsetting.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Man that is rough, if you only had him two days he was already on the way out, nothing most likely could have been done at this point.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Thanks. I had to take one of the rescues to the vet yesterday and I showed him the pics I had taken. He could tell just from the few pics he was at least a year old. The vet said by then his legs were probably all broken from such severe MBD. I was telling the vet it was hard for me to try to regulate his body temp since he couldn't walk. So it was pretty much at EXACTLY 85* in the day and 75* all night. He said that may have been what finally let him just die. He said sometimes reptiles that are so neglected and kept too cold just don't even have the energy to die and they just hang around in misery. I would like to think that by getting him when I did and keeping him warm (and a full little tummy) helped end his pain. I had a hard time keeping back tears when the vet was telling me this because at the same time I basically killed the little one. I'm still devastated over it. I have been checking Craigslist for any turts or torts in need and his listing is still on there. Still looking so sad and waiting for me to get him. I, of course, haven't heard anything back from "R" after my text about him passing. But it really hurts me to know someone could be so cruel.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LuckysGirl007 said:
Thanks. I had to take one of the rescues to the vet yesterday and I showed him the pics I had taken. He could tell just from the few pics he was at least a year old. The vet said by then his legs were probably all broken from such severe MBD. I was telling the vet it was hard for me to try to regulate his body temp since he couldn't walk. So it was pretty much at EXACTLY 85* in the day and 75* all night. He said that may have been what finally let him just die. He said sometimes reptiles that are so neglected and kept too cold just don't even have the energy to die and they just hang around in misery. I would like to think that by getting him when I did and keeping him warm (and a full little tummy) helped end his pain. I had a hard time keeping back tears when the vet was telling me this because at the same time I basically killed the little one. I'm still devastated over it. I have been checking Craigslist for any turts or torts in need and his listing is still on there. Still looking so sad and waiting for me to get him. I, of course, haven't heard anything back from "R" after my text about him passing. But it really hurts me to know someone could be so cruel.

Kim, you did not kill him. The idiots that had him before you did. You gave him the gift of letting his suffering end, which in his case was really the best thing you could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.