I got a russian tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
United States
story.php
story.php
I got a russian tortoise from petsmart. And yes im using a stove rack right now for my light lol. I plan on making the enclosure bigger i want to get another tote and cut a big opening in the middle to make it bigger. I have a question though is there any objections to the substrate im using im using the moist tree bark substrate. I used to use coconut fiber when i had my redfoot but thats a tropical tortoise. If anyone has any name suggestions feel free drop a name to me i havent named my tortoise yet.

United States
Congrats. I can't see your pics. Try posting them again.
20180519_151851.jpg 20180519_151827.jpg 20180519_151746.jpg IMG_20180519_151015_8760.jpg There we go i got them uploaded now, it didnt work before because my data was to slow. But i just got my internet and cable turned on yesterday so here we go. Hes doing good he was being alittle shy cause of his new habit. He took a couple bites of lettuce a couple days ago when i got him and then decided didnt want to come out of his hut for two days. But i took him out of his hut this morning and put him near his food and he went under the heat lamp for alittle bit and then back into hut. Then he came back out ate some food and sat under his lamp for a while again. So hes doing good and adjusting really well he was just being shy. Hes not to fond of my girlfriend though lol i noticed that everytime she comes into the room he goes back into his hut a couple mins later. I got crafty with my enclosure. The rack on the top is not the oven rack anymore i bought my own rack. The temps are good the hot side hits about 95 close to 100.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He is lovely!
They can be slow to adapt to changes and won't eat unless they are warm.
Have you found the caresheet for Russians yet?
That will point you in the right direction for diet, temps, humidity and the best substrate for them.
If you are open to good advice then the caresheet will help you keep your tort happy and healthy.
I just met someone in the waiting room of a vet with a young Russian and when I told them about the caresheet they said they'd seen it but didn't follow it because they would have had to make changes - their little guy had an enormous kidney stone it couldn't pass and was probably going to have to have an operation which could possibly have been avoided.
So it does pay to read and follow carefully

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
story.php
story.php
I got a russian tortoise from petsmart. And yes im using a stove rack right now for my light lol. I plan on making the enclosure bigger i want to get another tote and cut a big opening in the middle to make it bigger. I have a question though is there any objections to the substrate im using im using the moist tree bark substrate. I used to use coconut fiber when i had my redfoot but thats a tropical tortoise. If anyone has any name suggestions feel free drop a name to me i havent named my tortoise yet.
I believe Russians like to dig so your substrate may not be suitable or deep enough for that - but check the caresheet.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Switch out that water dish for a shallow clay saucer big enough for him/her to get into. Minimum size for an adult russian is 4x8 feet. Coming from a pet store he is probably wild caught so a larger enclosure is even more important as he's been in the wild with all kinds of room. You can add more then one tote together or do a second level with a ramp if you don't have floor space for a large enclosure. An outdoor enclosure is important too for the warmer weather. You can do away with the lid if you want and just do a humid hide at this size and age.

United States
Switch out that water dish for a shallow clay saucer big enough for him/her to get into. Minimum size for an adult russian is 4x8 feet. Coming from a pet store he is probably wild caught so a larger enclosure is even more important as he's been in the wild with all kinds of room. You can add more then one tote together or do a second level with a ramp if you don't have floor space for a large enclosure. An outdoor enclosure is important too for the warmer weather. You can do away with the lid if you want and just do a humid hide at this size and age.
Thats exactly what i plan to do with the tote. I was planning on buying another one. Or i might try a second level now that you said that instead of buying another tote im gonna look into it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thats exactly what i plan to do with the tote. I was planning on buying another one. Or i might try a second level now that you said that instead of buying another tote im gonna look into it.
Have a look at the Enclosures thread for ideas and the Beginner's Mistakes thread is also great for learning from other people's mistakes

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think two more totes is what you'll need or one more and another level. The second level had to be more then just a small platform which is what a lot of people think is all that's needed. It really needs to be more then that. You can even make them L shaped to fit in a corner.

United States
Yeah i will definitely be doing a better enclosure for him and i will change the water dish. He is doing really good with his new enclosure and he is really active and he is eatting good. 20180521_124456.jpg 20180521_131956.jpg

United States
Wellington i already have a routine going with my new russian tortoise. He comes out every morning for his meal. Today he decided to just relax in his hut but stay awake. As soon as i touched the food dish he came running out really fast. I never seen a tortoise run so fast before lol.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Name? That's also awesome he's settling in. My RF has a routine too. Every morning he's waiting at his food dish for me lol